immariner
November 5, 2014, 9:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,412
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from captainox

Well that shows why I'm not involved in football then based on Paddy!

Our strongest lineup is proving to not be any good anyway. We're 19th in a League Two that is one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime. Wycombe are top for goodness sake. I just hope Appleton realises he needs a midfield willing to tackle on Saturday.

It's no slight on you I don't think. We saw ourselves how good Paddy was in York's system and to a man I think we were pleased he'd signed. Brown has been a mixed bag his whole career going by other supporters' reviews but he had a storming season for Southport last year and carried it on for us at the beginning of this before getting injured. Clay's signing was met with much derision after reading reviews and his performances on trial, although he was probably lacking fitness after being in the part time game. So far, he's confounded his critics with a number of good displays.

Haven't really kept abreast of League 2 this year but there does appear to be few stand-out teams, which in my view makes a league more interesting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
jock dock tower
November 5, 2014, 9:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Town to win by at least two goals.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
November 5, 2014, 11:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from captainox
I think realisation that this is a very tough game has hit a few of those who were full of bravado after the draw.
You lot are on a bit of a flyer at the moment and can only come into the game full of confidence.

Very good.
No mind games here...
Quoted from captainox
Appleton mentioned about fringe players getting a game but with Newey/Hunt/Jakubiak/Morris all having gone out the door and a couple more unavailable, the squad size is back down and there are only a couple of players who haven't featured very often. The likes of Jon Meades, Michael Raynes and Josh Ruffels may come back into the side after recent absences and Junior Brown may come in from the cold having not made the squad since the 5-1 Cambridge defeat.

i.e. those on the fringes !
Quoted from captainox
I'd back us more to come from behind to get something than if we take the lead.

Interesting !
Your manager doesn't agree with you...
http://www.teamtalk.com/oxford-united/9545342/Wycombe-get-Ainsworth-believing
"If we keep taking the lead we'll go on and get some wins soon," Appleton added.

I think we both know if you concede first you're in BIG trouble !
Quoted from captainox
You're more than welcome to give us the win though if you feel an FA Cup run would get in the way of promotion ambitions  

How's the relegation zone looking for you ?  
1 point above it and Appleton sh1itting himself (in advance of relegation rivals York AWAY, ouch !) if he fields a full strength team. get's turned over and gets the boot is my guess.

Come and risk it by going attacking with your fringe players if you like.
Guess with our measly defence we're happy to play you on the counter.
That said, I can quite easily see Shaun Pearson heading a last minute winner from a set piece.  
Reply: 22 - 34
GrimRob
November 5, 2014, 11:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
There are 5 all League One clashes in Round 1. That should mean an "easy" draw is quite likely if we make it Round 2. Before the dream draw of Old Trafford in Round 3!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 34
Brisbane Mariner
November 6, 2014, 8:53am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Looking forward  to it actually - it will be my first of two games I will see this season - hoping to be at the Halifax Game too!
C'mon Town!!
UTMM

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 34
Garth
November 6, 2014, 9:11am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
This is GTFC you are playing not an unknown part time outfit thats never experienced league football, the  difference between the top of the conference and the basement of League 2 is miniscule, what may go your way though is that we tend to struggle against poor teams at home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Mariners_15
November 6, 2014, 9:21am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
This game just reminds me so much of the first round tie last year against Northampton.

I'm with Paul Hurst on this one I don't think it would be a huge upset if we won, in fact bearing in mind how much better we play when teams come to BP and 'go for it' eg Scunny, Huddersfield etc I think Oxford should be very worried about not progressing.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Les Brechin
November 6, 2014, 9:55am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariners_15
This game just reminds me so much of the first round tie last year against Northampton.

I'm with Paul Hurst on this one I don't think it would be a huge upset if we won, in fact bearing in mind how much better we play when teams come to BP and 'go for it' eg Scunny, Huddersfield etc I think Oxford should be very worried about not progressing.

UTM

Northampton was the 2nd round last year. We beat Scunny in the 1st Round.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Mariners_15
November 6, 2014, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Les Brechin

Northampton was the 2nd round last year. We beat Scunny in the 1st Round.

Apologies Les

Reminds me of the second round tie then..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
easypeersy
November 6, 2014, 1:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
How many tickets have Oxford sold for this match?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oxford Utd

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.