Teesknees
November 2, 2014, 5:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from lobsterpot
Aagrh don't remind me about Chasetown. I still get flashbacks in my nightmares of 10 fat, middle aged blokes with their choppers out dangling them in the pond round the back of the burger bar!

Was that the town players?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
Les Brechin
November 2, 2014, 7:26pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
I understand that their top scorer Danny Hylton is suspended and can't play on Saturday. I assume he picked up his 5th booking of the season yesterday.

He's scored 12 goals for them so far, their next highest scorer has 2.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
Teestogreen
November 2, 2014, 8:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
A mate of mine reckons that they weren't very good at Carlisle last week - against an inexperienced Carlisle team in a bit of a downward spiral.

Big chance for Town to progress to Round 2.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
immariner
November 3, 2014, 1:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
Hey Barralad. Noticed you posted on the Oxford forum, ya weirdo! They still seem a bit overconfident on there. You need to remind them that we've won 5 games in a row and that we're Grimsby f*cking Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
November 3, 2014, 7:06pm
Guest User
Is he talking footy or travel arrangements ?
If the former I'd appreciate if you could post a link.
Just curious.
Reply: 14 - 34
captainox
November 5, 2014, 12:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
I think realisation that this is a very tough game has hit a few of those who were full of bravado after the draw.
You lot are on a bit of a flyer at the moment and can only come into the game full of confidence.
With our top scorer out suspended and some loanees recalled, we have two strikers available for Saturday, one of whom is a first year pro. So essentially, we can't see who is going to score.

Appleton mentioned about fringe players getting a game but with Newey/Hunt/Jakubiak/Morris all having gone out the door and a couple more unavailable, the squad size is back down and there are only a couple of players who haven't featured very often. The likes of Jon Meades, Michael Raynes and Josh Ruffels may come back into the side after recent absences and Junior Brown may come in from the cold having not made the squad since the 5-1 Cambridge defeat.

I'm actually based in York so saw a lot of the ex YCFC contingent at Blundell Park, I always rated McLaughlin really highly whilst Scott Brown and Craig Clay were slated by York fans during their short spells. How is Paddy doing? And what about JP Pittman - has he managed to stay consistently fit?

I'd back us more to come from behind to get something than if we take the lead.

Heart says 1-1 draw, head says defeat.

You're more than welcome to give us the win though if you feel an FA Cup run would get in the way of promotion ambitions  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
immariner
November 5, 2014, 8:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,411
Gold Stars: 60
The two slated ones have been brilliant, the one you rate is not rated by the manager (nor many of the fans) and mainly warms the bench.

JPP looked great for a bit before he inevitably did his hamstring and was out for a month. Has been seen off the bench a few times since his return. Fingers crossed, wood touched, find a penny etc that he can stay fit as he's looked good.

I hope Appleton does play your weakest line up, we're about due a big pay day in the third round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
captainox
November 5, 2014, 8:32pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
Quoted from immariner
The two slated ones have been brilliant, the one you rate is not rated by the manager (nor many of the fans) and mainly warms the bench.

JPP looked great for a bit before he inevitably did his hamstring and was out for a month. Has been seen off the bench a few times since his return. Fingers crossed, wood touched, find a penny etc that he can stay fit as he's looked good.

I hope Appleton does play your weakest line up, we're about due a big pay day in the third round.

Well that shows why I'm not involved in football then based on Paddy!

Our strongest lineup is proving to not be any good anyway. We're 19th in a League Two that is one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime. Wycombe are top for goodness sake. I just hope Appleton realises he needs a midfield willing to tackle on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
chaos33
November 5, 2014, 8:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from captainox
I think realisation that this is a very tough game has hit a few of those who were full of bravado after the draw.
You lot are on a bit of a flyer at the moment and can only come into the game full of confidence.
With our top scorer out suspended and some loanees recalled, we have two strikers available for Saturday, one of whom is a first year pro. So essentially, we can't see who is going to score.

Appleton mentioned about fringe players getting a game but with Newey/Hunt/Jakubiak/Morris all having gone out the door and a couple more unavailable, the squad size is back down and there are only a couple of players who haven't featured very often. The likes of Jon Meades, Michael Raynes and Josh Ruffels may come back into the side after recent absences and Junior Brown may come in from the cold having not made the squad since the 5-1 Cambridge defeat.

I'm actually based in York so saw a lot of the ex YCFC contingent at Blundell Park, I always rated McLaughlin really highly whilst Scott Brown and Craig Clay were slated by York fans during their short spells. How is Paddy doing? And what about JP Pittman - has he managed to stay consistently fit?

I'd back us more to come from behind to get something than if we take the lead.

Heart says 1-1 draw, head says defeat.

You're more than welcome to give us the win though if you feel an FA Cup run would get in the way of promotion ambitions  

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post. I wish this board had more visitors to be honest. I read your comments about Brown, Clay and McLaughlin with interest too, and the York-connected folk I know would agree with you. Scott Brown has been outstanding for us, and was derided by the half dozen Yorkies I asked. Same for Craig Clay really, who has also done very, very well. Indeed, Paddy is the one they rate and he has been very in and out of the team. The Manager doesn't appear to have too much confidence in him. I'd agree that the jury still seems to be out on him from many Town fans, although he is valued by lots of us. I think he might play some part on Saturday. He scored a great FA Cup goal last season at home to Northampton in Round 1.

Truth is, we have a good team/squad, results have been superb and confidence is high, but we are far from proven at home where we have often flopped badly. Could go either way. I'd rather have my money on us than you though I think. Just.  

All the best

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
November 5, 2014, 8:43pm
Guest User
Didn't know that Hylton (the player who is suspended) has scored two thirds of Oxfords goals this season.  I think they will struggle to break us down, pressue is on them though. We are a non league team and they are the league team, I hope this transpires through to the Oxford players.
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oxford Utd

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.