Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 343 Guests

Oxford away

This thread currently has 14,286 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
October 28, 2014, 10:23pm
Guest User
Mind games alert ?  
He seems a decent bloke so nothing personal but word of caution.
Careful what you accept at face value from rival fans...

Welcome captainox  
Suprised you say you have dark memories after managing to get out !
What happened to the promotion ones ?
Reply: 90 - 107
Les Brechin
October 28, 2014, 10:57pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
I remember when we played them at BP once, might even have been the last time they were here. They had a foreign manager, Argentinian or Uruguayan I think and they played this weird system of leaving 3 players up when we had a corner, so we had to take 4 players out the area to mark them. It was a strange to watch. I don't think he lasted in the job very long.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 107
Abdul19
October 28, 2014, 11:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from 120797
Mind games alert ?  

I think you think too much 80s

He's a bloke on a messageboard, not Michael Appleton speaking to the press!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 107
barralad
October 29, 2014, 8:34am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Abdul19

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 107
biggles9999
October 29, 2014, 9:16am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Les Brechin
I remember when we played them at BP once, might even have been the last time they were here. They had a foreign manager, Argentinian or Uruguayan I think and they played this weird system of leaving 3 players up when we had a corner, so we had to take 4 players out the area to mark them. It was a strange to watch. I don't think he lasted in the job very long.

Ramon Diaz, made a decent career for himself managing back in Argentina mind. Think he's just won the Argentinian League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 107
RoboCod
October 29, 2014, 9:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Les Brechin

If they've  seen our corners of recent times they'll be leaving 8 men up front  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 107
captainox
October 29, 2014, 3:48pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
Quoted from Les Brechin

The last time we played at BP was a 1-1 draw in August 2005, Chris Hargreaves scored a last minute equaliser for us.

The time before (December 2004) would have been with the foreign manager - Ramon Diaz. Infact, it would have been one of his first games  before he managed to bring any of his own players in. (again it was 1-1) He was an excellent manager for us and left in very strange circumstances. (publically announced as failed contract talks) Some argument with our old chairman that resulted in him and his technical staff being banned from the stadium. Even when they tried to pay at the turnstile for the stand behind the goal, stewards were ordered to refuse them entry. All they wanted to do was say bye to the fans.
It was a strange time at OUFC, we suddenly had a Uruguayan left back, two Argentinian central midfielders and a host of European players on trial, not to mention, his two assistants, a doctor, a translator and three scouts - all Argentinian. His two sons also played for us so our team featured surnames such as Diaz, Corbo, Raponi, Comminelli, Karam. It was quite a magical few months but none of these blokes could really get up for away games at Darlington or a Friday night game at Scunthorpe.

It was after Diaz that Brian Talbot came in, ruined the team, got sacked and then we got relegated.

As for dark memories of the conference, they still cling on unfortunately, but there are some lighter ones; having 80% of the crowd away at Forest Green with the FGR fans being kept in after the game, playing the FA Trophy away at Sudbury and the website/radio team having to sit on top of a car to commentate and report on the match.
But trips to Farsley, Barrow, Northwich etc. will scar me forever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 107
captainox
October 29, 2014, 3:56pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from 120797
Mind games alert ?  

Welcome captainox  
Suprised you say you have dark memories after managing to get out !
What happened to the promotion ones ?

If only it were mind games! I just enjoy talking to opposition fans in a friendly way. Can't be doing with alll the pointless sh!t that goes on over twitter etc. "We've got more fans than you" - who cares, it's the result that matters at the end of the day.

Touched on the dark memories in post. No doubt winning at Wembley was the best day of my life but I think the four years experience has made me very aware of how lucky we are to be back in the football league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 107
October 29, 2014, 6:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19

Well I guess you're most probably right.

On the other hand it could be anybody !
Could be Appleton's brother/club scout, you just don't know !

I agree with his sentiment about the pointless biccering on twitter.
But are any GTFC fans gonna be moving over to the Oxford website for a friendly natter ?
Are any of us gonna be offering a full rundown of our season progress to date ?
Can't see it myself...

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be friendly at all.
Quoted from captainox
it's the result that matters at the end of the day.

Simply be careful !...
Reply: 98 - 107
captainox
October 29, 2014, 8:11pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from 120797

Well I guess you're most probably right.

On the other hand it could be anybody !
Could be Appleton's brother/club scout, you just don't know !

I agree with his sentiment about the pointless biccering on twitter.
But are any GTFC fans gonna be moving over to the Oxford website for a friendly natter ?
Are any of us gonna be offering a full rundown of our season progress to date ?
Can't see it myself...

To be clear, I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be friendly at all.

Simply be careful !...

This is actually amazing

@captainox on twitter - I'm sure this will give you enough detail to show I'm not a spy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oxford away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.