11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
October 28, 2014, 2:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Garth

It must have been someone else then Willy Maddren? I remember it being a night game and we hammered them  

I've found the game and manager you mean. It wasn't Willie Maddren (he was English, born in Teeside) but it was Bobby Murdoch who was sacked the day after we won 4-1 there in 1982.

We also won 5-1 there in 1984, a game that I went to.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 107
Biccys
October 28, 2014, 2:59pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

I know what you mean about it being rough around there. I remember that their fans were pelting us with coins as we left the ground and the Old Bill kept us back until they had cleared their fans.

We'd parked not to far away from the ground but the signposts were pretty much useless so when I spotted a car in front with a Grimsby number plate I followed him. However, he was a bit lost too and ended up turning down a dead end with loads of shady looking characters on a dingy terraced street. I think that was the fastest U-turn I've ever done.

I went in a minibus with a load from Louth. We asked a copper where it would be safe to park said bus and predictably he said "Back in Grimsby... If by some strange quirk of fate you do get a result today, I wouldn't be anywhere near the area if I were you..."

We were smarter than that though. With our genius we covered the "Ready-Rent-A-Van Grimsby" logos all over the vehicle with black tape so they'd never know where it was from.

Yeah, every single bit of tape had been torn off when we got back to the van after the game! Surprisingly, not a single tyre was sleashed or even deflated.

But we were happy...

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 81 - 107
Abdul19
October 28, 2014, 5:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
I class Oxford fans in the same class as Northampton fans

Yeah, I read that entire thread in the persecuted tones of Ian Atkins!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 107
Garth
October 28, 2014, 5:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've found the game and manager you mean. It wasn't Willie Maddren (he was English, born in Teeside) but it was Bobby Murdoch who was sacked the day after we won 4-1 there in 1982.

We also won 5-1 there in 1984, a game that I went to.

Thats the one Les, he looked and sounded like Steve Evans, I still can`t believe we got out of Borough in one piece
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 107
Jaws
October 28, 2014, 6:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Took 362 to Carlisle at the weekend - should bring a few here.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 107
TownSNAFU5
October 28, 2014, 6:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Oxford are only a few places higher than us on the pyramid of league places.  Nothing  to shout about.  That is only academic though!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 107
kevikov
October 28, 2014, 9:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +818
Gold Stars: 13
You'd think they would be smarter.....  

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 107
captainox
October 28, 2014, 10:08pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +49
Evening all, Oxford fan here. Cheers to the admin for letting me register!

So 8th November then.
It's hardly a draw that captures the imagination for our fanbase, many were hoping for the opportunity to visit a new ground, myself included.
Grimsby Telegraph using twitter well after the draw even picked up my tweet and used it in this piece http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....45-detail/story.html

(shame they didn't read the one before and understand where it was coming from though)

I think the main negatives for us are;
- It falls between away games at Carlisle (saturday just gone) and York (week after the FA Cup), so three long trips doesn't do anyone's bank account any favours.
- Playing any Conference team brings back some dark dark memories.
- It's a bit of a trek; 4 hours by train, not much shorter in the car
and probably the main one - We'll lose 1-0 and JP Pitman will score the winner - It is bound to happen!

Saying all that, 362 crazy people went to Carlisle on Saturday and we have a fair few northern exiles so perhaps around 250 will come on the 8th. I wouldn't expect any/many more than that though.

In terms of us this season, we're playing the best football in years but it's far too pretty for League Two. We aren't physical enough and lose the midfield battle far too easily whilst our inability to defend crosses is also a huge problem. If Appleton can come up with a Plan B instead of his "Plan B is Plan A" quote then we might have a chance of looking towards the top half. In our recent thrashing by Cambridge, we actually had more possession but gave the ball away and got punished time after time. I'd say this is a very winnable game for you lot.

In terms of players that have played for both, just Tom Newey at our end (I think), he doesn't really fit Appleton's style and has been dropped from the entire squad for the last three games (after being ever present) with an 18yr old loanee form Charlton taking his place. JP Pitman could never keep fit at Oxford but looked a good player on the rare occasions he did play.

Always keep an eye out for Grimsby's results - I consider you a league club and really hope it's sooner rather than later that you come back up to the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 107
LongEatonMariner
October 28, 2014, 10:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Cheers captainox, your views are always welcome unless you win, then we don't want to see a single post from you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 107
Abdul19
October 28, 2014, 10:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Cheers Captain Ox.

That's standard journalism from the Telewag

I'm hopeful it'll be a decent game. It'll be nice to play a side at home that doesn't just stick 11 men behind the ball from kick off!

The Cup was good to us last year, so it'd be nice to do the same again.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.