October 28, 2014, 9:21am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Garth

I remember that game bit rough in the terraced side streets after the match, their manager a scot his name escapes me got sacked the next day

Bruce Rioch ?
I dont think he was sacked either
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 107
Rodley Mariner
October 28, 2014, 9:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from BIGChris

Until reading this thread I never knew Neweys first name was Tom. Probably brainwashed over the years by the gent who sits behind me. Always thought his name  was 'flipping' Newey!

I felt he cost us lots of goal because he rarely stopped a cross, he always stood off then blamed the central defenders if/when we conceded.
Not the tallest but had some reasonable games in the centre of defence where he was playing a lot for Oxford. He doesn't seemed to have played since the 5-1 defeat at Cambridge but don't know if that is after being dropped or injured

I did say he wasn't that bad, not that he was a pastier, short-haired Paolo Maldini I just don't really understand why he always gets highlighted as some kind of disaster when you think of some of the other players we've had. As somebody said earlier in the thread, since leaving us he's consistently played at a higher level than Town have.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 107
Les Brechin
October 28, 2014, 9:59am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Garth

I remember that game bit rough in the terraced side streets after the match, their manager a scot his name escapes me got sacked the next day

Bruce Rioch was their manager at the time but he wasn't sacked the next day.

Our game was in January 1989 and a quick look on Wiki shows that Rioch didn't leave them until March 1990 when he was replaced by Colin Todd.

I know what you mean about it being rough around there. I remember that their fans were pelting us with coins as we left the ground and the Old Bill kept us back until they had cleared their fans.

We'd parked not to far away from the ground but the signposts were pretty much useless so when I spotted a car in front with a Grimsby number plate I followed him. However, he was a bit lost too and ended up turning down a dead end with loads of shady looking characters on a dingy terraced street. I think that was the fastest U-turn I've ever done.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 107
cmackenzie4
October 28, 2014, 10:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
They seem a miserable/over confident bunch on their forum, lets hope we beat them.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 107
Mariner Timsky
October 28, 2014, 11:30am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
I class Oxford fans in the same class as Northampton fans

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 107
BIGChris
October 28, 2014, 11:47am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Interesting that Appleton thinks it will give some of their fringe players an opportunity to impress!
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 107
BIGChris
October 28, 2014, 12:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from cmackenzie4
They seem a miserable/over confident bunch on their forum, lets hope we beat them.

One guy is thinking we will put our prices up because we have drawn them?

They shouldnt be surprised at the challenge they face. They spent 4 seasons? here not so long ago
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 107
Rodley Mariner
October 28, 2014, 12:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from BIGChris

They shouldnt be surprised at the challenge they face. They spent 4 seasons? here not so long ago

You'd think they might have a touch more humility as well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 107
JMT
October 28, 2014, 1:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
Honestly, if there's one thing i want even more now, it's for us too smash them.

never had any reason to dislike the Oxford bunch before, but now the majority of them seem over confident sharp objects.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 107
Garth
October 28, 2014, 2:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Les Brechin

Bruce Rioch was their manager at the time but he wasn't sacked the next day.

Our game was in January 1989 and a quick look on Wiki shows that Rioch didn't leave them until March 1990 when he was replaced by Colin Todd.

I know what you mean about it being rough around there. I remember that their fans were pelting us with coins as we left the ground and the Old Bill kept us back until they had cleared their fans.

We'd parked not to far away from the ground but the signposts were pretty much useless so when I spotted a car in front with a Grimsby number plate I followed him. However, he was a bit lost too and ended up turning down a dead end with loads of shady looking characters on a dingy terraced street. I think that was the fastest U-turn I've ever done.

It must have been someone else then Willy Maddren? I remember it being a night game and we hammered them  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 107
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Oxford away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.