Marinerz93
October 15, 2014, 11:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LH
Well they aren't going to advertise the days on end sat in the tea-bar waiting for something to happen, standing in the wind and rain guarding tents in a field, getting shouted at by some old guy who's been in 30 years because your sideburns and hair are too long or having your bedroom inspected annually and being told you are beneath dogshit because they found some dust behind your radiator etc etc etc are they?

I'd been to the barbers just before a big parade and got a No2 short back and sides and some twit balled me out on first parade saying I needed a hair cut  

Use the cloths you put in the dryer to wipe down any surfaces, it makes the surface repel dust  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
KingstonMariner
October 15, 2014, 11:30pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
That doesn't make him a conscientious objector.

Agree on the pay.

Dresden wasn't a retaliation. It was a bloody long time in coming if it was. At best it had a dubious claim to morality (and that's not belittling the brave bomber crews), at worst a war crime involving the unnecessary massacre of 10,000s of civilians that did little to bring the war to an end. Had the boot been on the other foot, then Bomber Command would have been facing trial and execution (like Goering). The ostensible aim of the bombing of Nazi Europe was to degrade the enemy's ability to wage war. It always caused "collateral damage" but by 1945 the high command seemed to be blasé about it and almost gave up the pretence of targetting the war machine - the best that can be said is it diverted some German war fighting capacity into home defence.

As for the chemical weapons he probably means this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleged_British_use_of_chemical_weapons_in_Mesopotamia_in_1920

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
Marinerz93
October 15, 2014, 11:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH

At Benson there was 40 blokes on my shift and 4 of us lived within half a mile of each other up here.

I know what you mean, where ever I have been there has always been someone from Grimsby and the funniest one I met was a fella whose surname was Codd  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
cmackenzie4
October 15, 2014, 11:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
When i joined up in 89 there was 3 of us from Grimsby waiting at the station for the train to Plymouth ready for basic training.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
Marinerz93
October 16, 2014, 7:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
That doesn't make him a conscientious objector.

Agree on the pay.

Dresden wasn't a retaliation. It was a bloody long time in coming if it was. At best it had a dubious claim to morality (and that's not belittling the brave bomber crews), at worst a war crime involving the unnecessary massacre of 10,000s of civilians that did little to bring the war to an end. Had the boot been on the other foot, then Bomber Command would have been facing trial and execution (like Goering). The ostensible aim of the bombing of Nazi Europe was to degrade the enemy's ability to wage war. It always caused "collateral damage" but by 1945 the high command seemed to be blasé about it and almost gave up the pretence of targetting the war machine - the best that can be said is it diverted some German war fighting capacity into home defence.

As for the chemical weapons he probably means this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleged_British_use_of_chemical_weapons_in_Mesopotamia_in_1920

A large portion of the population of Dresden was working for the German war machine, over a 100 factories and major rail links.  The bombing was designed to cause as much damage to that infrastructure and strike fear in to the Germans.  Coventry, London and other places in UK suffered more civilian losses than Germany.

How far back are we going to go to vilify how UK Forces act through Westminster's orders.  The fact that the poster in question keeps bringing up the negative or what would be classed as controversial with today's agreements and bans clearly suits the label given.

Lets not discuss how UK Forces personnel have given aid to countries in need through droughts, major earthquakes, tsunamis, war and currently going to help with Ebola.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
moosey_club
October 16, 2014, 8:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner
"Homes fit for heroes. And Only heroes could live in them*," as my old history teacher Gordon Taylor used to joke.

* Probably not fair really as I'd happily live in an inter-war house right now (council or private).

My least favourite teacher at school but got to know him some years later through work and he his a really nice fella.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
KingstonMariner
October 16, 2014, 3:46pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

My least favourite teacher at school but got to know him some years later through work and he his a really nice fella.

He came over as a right old stickler at first but his true qualities shone through after a while. We still quote his old anecdotes and sayings 35 years on!

"kicked out of the SS for cruelty"
"a united Ireland. United under the Union Flag".
Admiral Jellicoe's talk in Grimsby.
The one about the Soviet factory he worked at and 'stop all cycles'.
And the one which ended with his dad saying, "We filled our pants lad. We filled our pants".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
KingstonMariner
October 16, 2014, 4:26pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

A large portion of the population of Dresden was working for the German war machine, over a 100 factories and major rail links.  The bombing was designed to cause as much damage to that infrastructure and strike fear in to the Germans.  Coventry, London and other places in UK suffered more civilian losses than Germany.

How far back are we going to go to vilify how UK Forces act through Westminster's orders.  The fact that the poster in question keeps bringing up the negative or what would be classed as controversial with today's agreements and bans clearly suits the label given.

Lets not discuss how UK Forces personnel have given aid to countries in need through droughts, major earthquakes, tsunamis, war and currently going to help with Ebola.

You can still object to certain acts in war, or even to certain whole wars, government mandated or not, but still believe that war is a legitimate tool. So none of that makes him a conscientious objector.

You could even accept that UK armed forces do good work, over and above providing valuable defence, and still not agree that members and former members should be given free tickets etc.

Re: WWII bombing. Many more German civilians were killed by the RAF (and USAAF) than British ones by the Luftwaffe. 60,000 Brits versus 300-600k Germans. We killed more in 2 raids (Hamburg and Dresden) than they killed Brits. And we (us and Yanks) even killed more French than the Germans killed British. I admit it's not a black and white issue, but the bombing campaigns are even controversial from an efficacy angle - would we have won the war quicker with a different strategy?

Personally, I think it is right that we use Nov 11 to remember and give thanks for all the sacrifices made over the last hundred years.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
BIGChris
October 16, 2014, 5:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from LH
Well they aren't going to advertise the days on end sat in the tea-bar waiting for something to happen, standing in the wind and rain guarding tents in a field, getting shouted at by some old guy who's been in 30 years because your sideburns and hair are too long or having your bedroom inspected annually and being told you are beneath dogshit because they found some dust behind your radiator etc etc etc are they?

Just like
being at home then?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
LH
October 16, 2014, 6:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,496
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from BIGChris

[/b]

Just like
being at home then?

It's a nice break coming to work to be honest.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Positive move

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.