Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be careful what you wish for?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 78 Guests

Be careful what you wish for?

This thread currently has 3,252 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
A.l.f.
October 7, 2014, 11:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Speaking from a totally unbiased view and having seen all but 3 of Towns matches this season, if the club were to sack Paul Hurst now, we would have a temporary Manager in charge for a few matches and I don't think we will be in any better shape under Doig/Moore.  Then a new Manager has to get to know his players and try out different things and by then we could be so far off the pace we may have to write the season off.

Tonight I felt for Hurst and the players who did not deserve to be booed at the end.  Personally I agreed with the starting line up given that they would come and defend in numbers and the extra width should have given Town a deserved win.  I called the substitutions, however felt it was 10 to 15 mins too late, but it's so easy to say we should have done this and that after the event.

Lenny was poor tonight and it was one of those nights where the final ball was missing.  It's clear we need a striker and has been the case for ages but I'm sure the club and Hurst are trying and maybe hoped they could pick someone decent up in the January transfer window rather than make a rash choice of someone not good enough before now.

The squad I believe are the best since we fell out of the Football League but as many are saying we don't seem to have a Plan B when it's just not happening.  Let's see what the next 5 matches brings before making a decision the Club may regret.  We are no longer a big fish and have no more right to be up there than any of our opposition.  Teams will continue to come to BP and put men behind the ball and the Management And players need to work on how to break them down and also improve set pieces which again have been really poor this season.
At the present time maybe tough away games are just what we need but we also badly need another striker as even in Pittman gets fit, I think he won't play many games as he's injury prone.

It's easy to be negative and forget the positives and there are many player wise this season.  I don't think we are a million miles away and if we are top 6 at Christmas expect us still to challenge for promotion I hope - but the again Football just isn't that simple is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
DavidB
October 7, 2014, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +192
Excellent post!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
mrsd
October 7, 2014, 11:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
Sense at last!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
nightrider
October 7, 2014, 11:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Couldn't have put it better myself.
I think he needs 2 strikers though - Arnold needs to be replaced.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
grimsby pete
October 7, 2014, 11:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
We have been waiting 5 months for one,

How long do we have to wait for 2,  ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
timmo
October 7, 2014, 11:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
Quoted from grimsby pete
We have been waiting 5 months for one,

How long do we have to wait for 2,  ?

Maybe their like buses Pete. Wait for 1 then 2 come along at 1... no harm in hope eh mate.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
promotion plaice
October 7, 2014, 11:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,952
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from timmo

Maybe their like buses Pete. Wait for 1 then 2 come along at 1... no harm in hope eh mate.

Timmo
UTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ooAAYwmjy4

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
TAGG
October 7, 2014, 11:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,969
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from A.l.f.
Speaking from a totally unbiased view and having seen all but 3 of Towns matches this season, if the club were to sack Paul Hurst now, we would have a temporary Manager in charge for a few matches and I don't think we will be in any better shape under Doig/Moore.  Then a new Manager has to get to know his players and try out different things and by then we could be so far off the pace we may have to write the season off.

Tonight I felt for Hurst and the players who did not deserve to be booed at the end.  Personally I agreed with the starting line up given that they would come and defend in numbers and the extra width should have given Town a deserved win.  I called the substitutions, however felt it was 10 to 15 mins too late, but it's so easy to say we should have done this and that after the event.

Lenny was poor tonight and it was one of those nights where the final ball was missing.  It's clear we need a striker and has been the case for ages but I'm sure the club and Hurst are trying and maybe hoped they could pick someone decent up in the January transfer window rather than make a rash choice of someone not good enough before now.

The squad I believe are the best since we fell out of the Football League but as many are saying we don't seem to have a Plan B when it's just not happening.  Let's see what the next 5 matches brings before making a decision the Club may regret.  We are no longer a big fish and have no more right to be up there than any of our opposition.  Teams will continue to come to BP and put men behind the ball and the Management And players need to work on how to break them down and also improve set pieces which again have been really poor this season.
At the present time maybe tough away games are just what we need but we also badly need another striker as even in Pittman gets fit, I think he won't play many games as he's injury prone.

It's easy to be negative and forget the positives and there are many player wise this season.  I don't think we are a million miles away and if we are top 6 at Christmas expect us still to challenge for promotion I hope - but the again Football just isn't that simple is it?

"Speaking from a totally unbiased view" what are you mean by unbiased??? are you  a Scunthorpe fan?????
A new Manager if hes good only needs to know how to use his player in the best way.
Didnt hear any booing. The way Hurst set the team up was wrong.
"final ball was missing" down to the formation and what Hurst does on the training pitch.
Its very easy to be negative just look at the attendance tonight.
flipping no chance of challenging for anything EVER at any time with Hurst in charge.  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
mariner2000
October 7, 2014, 11:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
"we may have to write the season off" isn't that currently the case???
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 8 - 23
Nelly GTFC
October 7, 2014, 11:49pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,686
Gold Stars: 30
Norwich were bottom of League 1 and got thrashed at home to Colchester 1-7, they changed manager very early into that season and got back to back promotions.

Changing the manager does work if you can find one with good tactical knowlege.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
TAGG
October 7, 2014, 11:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,969
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Norwich were bottom of League 1 and got thrashed at home to Colchester 1-7, they changed manager and got back to back promotions.

Spot on.
Im sure we have the players to do well if we have the right manager.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 7, 2014, 11:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -4
Approval: +7,429
Gold Stars: 64
I keep hearing that we have a better squad than last year, indeed the best since we joined the conference, yet we are only just in the top half having played the majority of our games against sides in the bottom ten.

Something does not add up given this scenario as we fight to hold our place in mid table.

of course we had some injuries and suspensions, but so does every club. For me Magnay tremendous signing, Clay is a surprise success and Brown an improvement on Kerr. Otherwise jury still out and lets be honest our new midfield are not weighing in with many goals or showing a great amount of creativity as we dont actually have that many chances to miss. Of course movement and quality of strikers will make a significant difference but still not convinced we do not need a more creative midfield player as well.

Then we have the manager but this appears a support PH thread so no further comment from me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 8, 2014, 12:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from A.l.f.

Very sensible and logical. But what happens after 5 games? What happens after 10 games? If we were talking about results this season to date it is easy to say we are x points off the playoffs with y games to play and we could still have a successful season. But as you say this is a goodish squad yet the points total has been no more impressive than last season.

If we could get a decent striker we might be OK but there again how and who do we get? The time for that was close season, the only options are players who are not good enough to get in their own team. Some might be good enough but are they willing to come here and be bench warmers because that will be their fate if they are not deemed good enough after a couple of games to replace LJL as spearhead.

You may well be right that there is a case to be made for the "devil you know" but I think the main reason for JF to keep Hurst will be that it is already too late for this season. The time for meaningful change could be past. The best a new manager could do is get us to the playoffs and JF may well feel that Hurst could still do that anyway and if he doesn't, that will give good reasons to dismiss him. Plus the later it happens the cheaper it will be. The only other factor that might sway JF to act sooner is sinking attendances like tonight.

But unless we have a disastrous run in the next month or so and slide into the nether regions of this crappy league I reckon we could be stuck with Hurst for quite a while yet.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
tashee69
October 8, 2014, 12:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +947
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Norwich were bottom of League 1 and got thrashed at home to Colchester 1-7, they changed manager very early into that season and got back to back promotions.

That was the opening day of the season though. They had a bit more time to play catch up, they were only 3 points behind the leaders when Gunn was sacked.  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
arryarryarry
October 8, 2014, 12:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,925
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted Text

Tonight I felt for Hurst and the players who did not deserve to be booed at the end. Personally I agreed with the starting line up given that they would come and defend in numbers and the extra width should have given Town a deserved win.  I called the substitutions, however felt it was 10 to 15 mins too late, but it's so easy to say we should have done this and that after the event.

Can it actually get any worse, the last three games have been against 3 of the poorest side in the league and we have failed to win any of them only scoring one goal and that a penalty.

You agreed with the starting line up? we were playing frigging Altrincham for God's sake who on that performance are one of the poorest sides to visit Blundell Park in many a long season.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
barralad
October 8, 2014, 12:06am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

It was first match of the season.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Nelly GTFC
October 8, 2014, 12:08am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +24 / -6
Approval: +2,686
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Quoted from tashee69
That was the opening day of the season though. They had a bit more time to play catch up, they were only 3 points behind the leaders when Gunn was sacked.  
So the morale of the story is we have no chance of winning the league then, Hurst has totally ****** that already.

Scrape into the playoffs by some shear miracle and screw it up again, sorry I just have no faith in this tactless manager.

Should of got rid of him at the end of last season.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
tashee69
October 8, 2014, 12:08am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +947
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from barralad

It was first match of the season.

I just said that  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Bruce Springsteen
October 8, 2014, 12:31am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -9
Approval: -315
poorest squad at this level since the drop into it....Mackreth and Nsiala almost comical signings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Bruce Springsteen
October 8, 2014, 12:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -9
Approval: -315
was very surprised to not see Fenty pull the trigger after Saturday's lamentable performance...i guess he was hoodwinked by the table that see's us within striking distance of the p/offs despite being crap

Going nowhere should have been sacked after Torquay game imo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
maxfox44
October 8, 2014, 10:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
I'm not convinced this season's squad is any better than last seasons.  Let's face it, we don't look like a promotion side, we also don't have that little bit of luck needed to scrape past teams either.

On here and elsewhere we can debate, moan and even paper over the cracks.  Isn't it 14 wins out of 45 or something.  The fact that our gate has dropped by about 1,000 recently, tells it's own story.  Perhaps our expectations are too high these days.  But to hear the drivel on the radio last night about how well we played, IT WAS ALTRINCHAM.  I thought it was actually worse than the previous week. Are the players playing for him still?  Will they take public criticism or throw the toys out?  Plenty of times, players were falling out, which is normally attributed to relegation sides, not harmonious promotion pushing sides.

One thing for sure, we are divided now.  

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Garth
October 8, 2014, 10:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I keep hearing that we have a better squad than last year, indeed the best since we joined the conference, yet we are only just in the top half having played the majority of our games against sides in the bottom ten.

Something does not add up given this scenario as we fight to hold our place in mid table.

of course we had some injuries and suspensions, but so does every club. For me Magnay tremendous signing, Clay is a surprise success and Brown an improvement on Kerr. Otherwise jury still out and lets be honest our new midfield are not weighing in with many goals or showing a great amount of creativity as we dont actually have that many chances to miss. Of course movement and quality of strikers will make a significant difference but still not convinced we do not need a more creative midfield player as well.

Then we have the manager but this appears a support PH thread so no further comment from me.

Well thought out post that tries to analyse the problem we are facing, common denominator= Manager

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
TownSNAFU5
October 8, 2014, 11:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
I thought that we have (had) a better team than season as well.  The lack of fit and/or consistent goalscorers has been a problem during the close-season and since the season started.  The 2 high-scoring games camouflaged the problem.

Not taking our chances and not putting away so called smaller teams has already cost us valuable points. This is a material error by the manager.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
rancido
October 8, 2014, 7:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,410
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from maxfox44
I'm not convinced this season's squad is any better than last seasons.  Let's face it, we don't look like a promotion side, we also don't have that little bit of luck needed to scrape past teams either.

On here and elsewhere we can debate, moan and even paper over the cracks.  Isn't it 14 wins out of 45 or something.  The fact that our gate has dropped by about 1,000 recently, tells it's own story.  Perhaps our expectations are too high these days.  But to hear the drivel on the radio last night about how well we played, IT WAS ALTRINCHAM.  I thought it was actually worse than the previous week. Are the players playing for him still?  Will they take public criticism or throw the toys out?  Plenty of times, players were falling out, which is normally attributed to relegation sides, not harmonious promotion pushing sides.

One thing for sure, we are divided now.  

Well I certainly think that Magnay is a vast improvement on Hatton and he can play at left back as well. Both Brown and Clay are improvements on Kerr. Along with Paddy and Disley we have a good variety of mid-field players and probably the best options we have had since we dropped down to this level.
The comment about Altrincham would have been a fair comment if it wasn't for the fact that they beat Halifax 3-1 at the w/end ( although I must admit after last nights showing I don't know how ! ).

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be careful what you wish for?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.