4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
October 7, 2014, 9:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Dominated, but we didnt win. And thats what matters, nothing up front, had chances but we didnt take them. A team really we should have beaten easily but we didnt. Its a shame, a big shame, but the clubs not going anywhere. I feel for paul and the players but this just isnt good enough. Didnt like the "hurst out" chants. They help noone, i know how gutted i am by whats going on, but what struck me about it as i walked away tonight, maybe , just maybe. We arent very good. Night all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Sigone
October 7, 2014, 10:03pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
BBC stats say 51% - 49%..what game where they at.  Town good side up to the penalty area..then go static sadly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
Tangerine Chris
October 7, 2014, 10:06pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Never looked like we were going to score tonight.  Playing 4 5 1 with Lenny as the lone striker was never going to work, and should not have used that formation at home anyway.  Subs made far too late yet again, then went 4 4 2.

I hope Wrecscum have a bad day on Saturday, or they will tear us a new one

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
immariner
October 7, 2014, 10:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Who missed chances?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
highcliff mariner
October 7, 2014, 10:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
As above , toothless lenny was poor he has the worst first touch ive seen ,his second touch is almost always a stretching tackle to try and rectify his terrible first one . Makreth played as well as ive seen in a town shirt .
Clay MOM defence looked solid but Devoid of a threat beyond the 18 yd box .
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
fishkeeper
October 7, 2014, 10:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
all fizz no bang sorry  not good enough  says it all when full backs have more shots on target than the so called striker and to the hurst is god brigade nearly a 1000 down eh that's what I call voting with thier feet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
jimgtfc
October 7, 2014, 10:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 44
So disappointing, we looked pretty good in the middle third, keeping the ball well, making pretty patterns, working it out wide and getting it into and around their penalty area but sadly that's where the wheels came off. No killer through balls, barely any quality crosses, not enough midfielders running behind their back four and a striker with zero confidence who hasn't got the goal scoring nouse to create something from nothing. We're just not ruthless enough.

I liked our shape tonight, it helped us keep the ball and press their back four. Ultimately though we don't have the centre forward to play that role, and that is only one mans fault. Thought Aswad looked good tonight and provided us with more balance, and ditto that for Magnay. Mackreth and neilson worked the ball well and gave their full backs a tough night, but poor crosses cost us. Clay and brown worked hard and dominated the game, disappointed with paddy though, finally gets a chance in the middle in a game he should have bossed, but he wasn't in it enough.

Definitely time for a managerial change, can't see it happening though, and who would come in? More questions than answers at the minute.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
moosey_club
October 7, 2014, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Cant fault the effort as it was there, worked very hard and with the formation while dominating the midfield it left us short up top.....Makreth very wasteful with crosses all night, had his fullback on toast but struggling to think of a single cross he put in than gave someone an opportunity.
Should he have gone with that formation? myself i dont blame him for trying as the last couple of 4-4-2 games have been flat and for large parts we looked good but it left LJL isolated, tried to change it with a double substitution but we lost a bit of impetus with that......thought he could have thrown another sub on late on as a statement of intent.

Should he go now?  Well not on tonights game in isolation but repeated failures to beat mediocre but organised sides, the squad he has assembled just isnt balanced enough and the complete blind faith in LJL (who personally i thought played ok tonight) to be the difference between winning and losing all starting to tot up..

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
moosey_club
October 7, 2014, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from immariner
Who missed chances?

Plural? I think we only made one real guilt edge chance which the keeper saved very well from Paddy.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
barralad
October 7, 2014, 10:32pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Was somewhat surprised at the decision to play Lenny up front on his own. I didn't hear what was said on Humberside prior to the game but I understood that Neilson was going to play in the space just behind Lenny? If that is the case then for the first half it failed miserably. LJL was guilty of most of the things other posters have said about him but in his defence he was totally isolated in the first half and as a result was bundled off the ball too easily.
MacReth was awful first half-weak in the challenge and unwilling to take his man on for pace. Second half he played far, far better and was involved in just about everything of an attacking nature but like others was let down by his final ball.Magnay was excellent (again) and Clay showed what we missed on Saturday.
Defensively we were relatively untroubled which gave Aswad chance to get forward to good effect on loads of occasions especially in the second half. He combined well with Neilson and bearing in mind it was his first game since the middle of August didn't appear to tire. I thought he was Town's MOM.
I wonder if those singing Paddy's praises are still doing so after his mediocre performance tonight?
Though the subs might have come on a bit sooner but to be fair neither of them looked like having an impact in the 20 minutes or so they were involved.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.