4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Lambretta Mariner
October 7, 2014, 10:32pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
Quoted from moosey_club

Plural? I think we only made one real guilt edge chance which the keeper saved very well from Paddy.

He headed one over too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
jimgtfc
October 7, 2014, 10:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from moosey_club
Cant fault the effort as it was there, worked very hard and with the formation while dominating the midfield it left us short up top.....Makreth very wasteful with crosses all night, had his fullback on toast but struggling to think of a single cross he put in than gave someone an opportunity.
Should he have gone with that formation? myself i dont blame him for trying as the last couple of 4-4-2 games have been flat and for large parts we looked good but it left LJL isolated, tried to change it with a double substitution but we lost a bit of impetus with that......thought he could have thrown another sub on late on as a statement of intent.

Should he go now?  Well not on tonights game in isolation but repeated failures to beat mediocre but organised sides, the squad he has assembled just isnt balanced enough and the complete blind faith in LJL (who personally i thought played ok tonight) to be the difference between winning and losing all starting to tot up..

Agree that we lost impetus with the changes, we weren't dominating the middle of the park anymore. Having said that he had to gamble.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,108
Gold Stars: 548
Too many draws. A problem that has dogged us for the last 2 seasons. Without a potent striker, all the good work up to the final third is a complete waste. May as well just lump it up and hope for the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
1mickylyons
October 7, 2014, 10:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Not at all happy with what ive witnessed tonight saw the game similar to Moosey though Aswad my MOTM by a country mile.Town played some neat passing football between the boxes for most of the game the players put a proper shift in from 1-11 but if you cant get 3 points against that sort of limited opposition you wont be going up anytime soon.Painful though that maybe that`s a fact and I personally feel like we have a squad more than capable of being Champions in a very poor League 4-5-1 at home to a team struggling near the bottom and that 1 not being a goalscorer tells me someone doesn`t know what he is doing?None of what`s been said about the game or tactics will affect Hursts position but the 800 missing fans will SACKED IN THE MORNING
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
mariner2000
October 7, 2014, 10:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
all down to tactics and playing styles.  We are naive
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 14 - 36
moosey_club
October 7, 2014, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Lambretta Mariner

He headed one over too.

oh aye...yes that was a decent chance from the one decent cross that we put in all night.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
oldun
October 7, 2014, 10:45pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
We hammered them 0-0. Great effort by all the players but we over played it in the final third against a packed defence. Lenny did well on his own but if we set up like that then people need to get in and around him in the box to support the attacks. Most of our efforts were long range and when crosses came in we had no-one sharp enough to attack the loose balls. I am beginning to think that against these sort of teams at home we need another physically strong player who is good in the air can also finish things off. Pittman is ideal but as we know we do not have his services at present and there are doubts about his fitness. I wish Hurst the best of luck in his search. Just a word about Aswad, at first I was worried he might have come back in a bit early, but credit to the lad he did very well and lasted the pace, top effort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
Sigone
October 7, 2014, 10:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Enjoyed tonight bar the score, good to see us playing it mostly on the floor and we as supporters should encourage this.  Regarding a new striker I wonder if its a fruitless task, whos gonna release a decent forward on loan.  If we kept the same formation as tonight but added a physical presence in the mould of Cockerill/Groves we might get on the end of some of these decent situations.  Crossing to the diddy men of Nielson, Brown, Paddy & Mckreth most defences in this league would take that every day of the week.  Just wondering if a big strong attacking central midfielder might be easier to attract here?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
forza ivano
October 7, 2014, 11:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Sigone
Enjoyed tonight bar the score, good to see us playing it mostly on the floor and we as supporters should encourage this.  Regarding a new striker I wonder if its a fruitless task, whos gonna release a decent forward on loan.  If we kept the same formation as tonight but added a physical presence in the mould of Cockerill/Groves we might get on the end of some of these decent situations.  Crossing to the diddy men of Nielson, Brown, Paddy & Mckreth most defences in this league would take that every day of the week.  Just wondering if a big strong attacking central midfielder might be easier to attract here?

Perhaps if JF splashed the cash on a massive birthday cake we could tempt toure?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
TAGG
October 7, 2014, 11:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Got to give all the players 10 out of 10 for effort but cant be doing with the formation.
How can a team play 80% in the opposition half and not score?????
This has to go down to the managers tactics and football philosophy.
You have to go Hurst  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.