Maringer
October 7, 2014, 11:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Two points almost given away tonight.

Alty were dead on their feet for the last 30 minutes and let us come onto them but, despite the odd bit of decent football here and there, the final pass, cross or shot just wasn't good enough.

Still should have won really, but it just never looked like it was going to happen tonight as none of the midfielders or strikers looked like they were going to do that extra little bit to grasp the points.

Not LJL's best game, though he was horribly isolated for the first half. I think we probably would have won if he had stayed on and played alongside Oates who showed a good touch on a couple of occasions but didn't have the physical presence to cause their defence too many problems. Unfortunately, Hannah showed absolutely nothing when he came on which was a disappointment.

As others have mentioned, our crossing was just rubbish tonight. Got in behind their defence on so many occasions it was untrue but barely a cross or cutback got near to one of our men. Must do better than that - Arnold's goal the other week showed how easy it should be when you get into a good position but we just weren't accurate tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
Stevie Saunders
October 7, 2014, 11:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Quite surprised at the restraint and it's good to read

Box to box, passing, movement, desire,,,,9/10
In and around the box, cutting edge, bravery, trickery, guile, intelligence...1/10

Says it all; results business, goals are everything

If, and it might be a big if, Hurst can get a 'jack in the box' striker to the club it might (just might) turn things around... but even I don't quite believe that as I write it

A bloke next to me summed it up brilliantly IMO - "it's not sh*te, it's not crap, but it's not good enough"

Two positives: team are playing for Hurst - you don't put that amount of energy in if you don't give a crap and we have the second best defensive record in the league.

PLEASE Paul find a goal scorer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 36
Theimperialcoroner
October 7, 2014, 11:33pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93
Had the Paddy header fallen to Disley, I think we'd have been talking about a victory tonight. Paddy been poor for last couple of games, did the chance 1st half fall to him too? Whilst the keeper made a decent save, he should've never stood a chance.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think there was any problem with the first half effort. If it had fallen on his left foot, it probably would have beaten the keeper, but he hit it pretty well with his right and it was a very good reaction save. As per usual, the ball didn't fall to any of our players in the box (on any occasion tonight).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
Stew0_0
October 8, 2014, 12:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
We really miss pittman. We are a different side when he's up front. As for tonight when I heard that neilsen was in for hannah I thought excellent he'll be in the free role behind lenny. Was surprised to see him stuck on the left side of a midfield 5. Formation didnt work for me though as LJL needs a strike partner to flick onto. Think we were too conservative and scared to lose tonight. Now two tough away trips
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
arryarryarry
October 8, 2014, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,944
Gold Stars: 113
I cannot understand how some seem to be happy with that tonight, I thought we were very poor, yes we had plenty of the ball and played it around but they were probably the worst team in many a long while we have seen, they passed it more to our players than they did their own.

As for Hurst, going out with one loan striker against a bottom 5 team at home, what message does that send out?

Not sure how anyone could suggest Mackreth had a good game his passing/crossing were crap, MOTM for me was Azwad.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
Abdul19
October 8, 2014, 1:12am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

I hope Wrecscum have a bad day on Saturday, or they will tear us a new one

When did that last happen? We've had plenty of poor performances this calendar year, but I can't remember us being battered.

As for tonight, much better than last week (obviously) but created next to nothing apart from McLaughlin's 2 chances. Thought they were going to nick it with that Reeves chances 5 minutes from the end.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
BIGChris
October 8, 2014, 6:51am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Lambretta Mariner

He headed one over too.

Clearest chances of the night fell to Paddy with the unchallenged header from 7yards the most glaring. Hit the target from there and he scores.

I thought the formation, which was fluid, at times 4-3-3, other times 4-1-4-1 worked well in that we found space, played at a tempo BUT it just died in the last 20/25 yards. Failure to bring in the elusive 'number 9' lets everyone down

Bottom line is that you stand and fall by your home results, get those right and by n large you keep your job. Failure to beat any of Dover, Nuneaton, Southport and Altrincham says it all.

Wrexham have a huge 150 birthday celebration day planned for Saturday. Can we be party poopers or will we be cannon fodder
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
BIGChris
October 8, 2014, 6:55am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Maringer

As others have mentioned, our crossing was just rubbish tonight. Got in behind their defence on so many occasions it was untrue but barely a cross or cutback got near to one of our men. Must do better than that - Arnold's goal the other week showed how easy it should be when you get into a good position but we just weren't accurate tonight.

Difficult to do so when we mostly had one in the box against 5+ defenders
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
Lambretta Mariner
October 8, 2014, 7:23am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +140
Despite our possession, I'll just point out they've had some chances that had me worried.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.