Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium???
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 222 Guests

New stadium???

This thread currently has 3,450 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 6, 2014, 10:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
The furore of a new stadium seems to come in debs and drabs. I am presuming there is no further news on this but, wouldn't it make sense for updates as to what's going on?

Where do we stand in the whole process at the moment and what are the timescales that have been outlined?

Reason I ask is that my local club, gloucester city, seem to have the backing of everyone and regular updates are kept in the local rag.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Garth
October 6, 2014, 10:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Apart from a few thousand in and around the area most people are either indifferent or downright against anything appertaining to GTFC, therefore backing and publicity are as real as rocking horse sh1t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Rodley Mariner
October 6, 2014, 12:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Can a furore come in dribs (or debs) and drabs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 6, 2014, 12:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Can a furore come in dribs (or debs) and drabs?

iPad!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
grimsby pete
October 6, 2014, 3:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
[quote=3631

Where do we stand in the whole process at the moment and what are the timescales that have been outlined?

.[/quote]

Come back and ask again in ten years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
October 6, 2014, 3:48pm
Guest User
New ground? We can't even afford a striker from Solihull Moors?!!!!!
Reply: 5 - 25
biggles9999
October 6, 2014, 4:17pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from 75
New ground? We can't even afford a striker from Solihull Moors?!!!!!

It's been quoted many times that we could afford him. Solihull accepted our transfer offer, but Bogle said no because he didn't want to leave the area.

It might even be a similar story to that with Reeves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
October 6, 2014, 4:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from biggles9999

It's been quoted many times that we could afford him. Solihull accepted our transfer offer, but Bogle said no because he didn't want to leave the area.

It might even be a similar story to that with Reeves.

I haven't seen that via any official medium. Seriously, if we can't tempt a player to leave Solihull to play for us we should give up.
Reply: 7 - 25
Garth
October 6, 2014, 4:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
If thats true it should be mentioned by the clubs spokesman so we can at least understand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
wodewick
October 6, 2014, 4:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +24
Quoted from 75

I haven't seen that via any official medium. Seriously, if we can't tempt a player to leave Solihull to play for us we should give up.

Thought we had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2014, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 75

We did last Tuesday.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
fishkeeper
October 6, 2014, 5:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +136
New ground jesus that's the best joke   I have heard in ages  mind you saying that theres more chance of that than getting a new proven high scoring striker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
looneytunes
October 6, 2014, 8:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +5
if you have to jump throughthe hoops that brentford had to it could be a while but then again grimsby may be different to london with all red tape etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
KingstonMariner
October 7, 2014, 12:19am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I think, looney tunes, that there are ironically more opportunities for a club like Brentford to get a new ground. Even though Grimsby is half surrounded by countryside. (I'm assuming you're a Bees fan so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know). Grimsby's new ground will depend on getting enough money for the site of their old ground, and plenty of money from any associated commercial development with the new ground. There is not that much demand for land in a place like Grimsby for building, so receipts for Blundell Park will not be that big, and there aren't as many willing partners for the new development as any London club would have.

I must say, we have had our fair share of Nimby arguments, including ones as bizarre as the ones Brentford faced from the Kew side of the bridge.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Theimperialcoroner
October 7, 2014, 12:40am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Got to say I was impressed with Dartfords ground on Saturday. A (much) larger version would be perfect. Especially with the option to walk around the ground, made for a better match day experience (to quote modern bolloxspeak, a version of newspeak if you like).

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
Nelly GTFC
October 7, 2014, 12:43am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 30
Knock all the high rise flats down, knock all freemo down, and build a new community stadium and new complex of shops, flats and housing there.

A mini Tottenham project.

Straight off the M180 still plus the railway is really close, no fathing about, get Grimsby Town to work alongside the Council, Shoreline, and developers, and help the whole area.

Imagine Freeman Street looking something like this!  That's what you call regeneration!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9NX4JZe.jpg[/img]

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 7:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Erm, parking spaces for anyone?

London clubs such as Spurs, Arsenal et al don't need to consider much in the way of parking areas for fans visiting from both the local area and away as they are located right in the centre of the biggest (publicly-funded) transportation nexus in the country. How much of the Freeman Street/local area would need to be set aside for parking? Also, the A180 is the only road in and out of town so congestion before and after a match would be a real problem, especially in the summer months.

Not to mention the fact that Spurs (and London as a whole) has just a little bit more money to spend on things than Grimsby. Spurs have paid much more for a number of individual players than it would cost to buy our club lock, stock and barrel and build a new stadium somewhere, including the cost of the land!

Additionally, knocking down the high-rise flats, other flats in the surrounding area and many existing businesses down Freeman Street would displace how many people? To where? How many compulsory purchase orders required and who would pay for them? I know they plan to level the high-rise flats in any case, but it seems a poorly thought out idea to me, especially as there is pretty much no support for anything GTFC-related on the council.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
DocTower
October 7, 2014, 7:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
. We either throw caution to the wind and go for something we ALL have been wanting for well over 50 years . Remember FA Would was willing to sell Cambridge Rd  in Grimsby for a new site . Or we stay and rebuild what we have . Yes problems with both but not submountable . It woud just stop this endless , are we aren't we will we  won't we .
It's almost a red herring detracting from the real problem whats going on with Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
ginnywings
October 7, 2014, 7:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
New ground?

Like the promise of league football, i won't be holding my breath.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
scrumble
October 7, 2014, 8:30am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, parking spaces for anyone?

Parking is hardly a major selling point of BP, anything would be better than what we have now

Quoted Text
Also, the A180 is the only road in and out of town so congestion before and after a match would be a real problem, especially in the summer months.

The current proposal would have traffic join the A180 just the other side of the flyover, just one junction down. Blundell Park itself is on the end of it. The Freemo site would probably be better as it would go straight on to the A180, and could have new traffic controls to help flow.

Quoted Text
Additionally, knocking down the high-rise flats, other flats in the surrounding area and many existing businesses down Freeman Street would displace how many people? To where? How many compulsory purchase orders required and who would pay for them? I know they plan to level the high-rise flats in any case, but it seems a poorly thought out idea to me, especially as there is pretty much no support for anything GTFC-related on the council.

If you haven't seen the GET lately they are already talking about knocking down the high rise flats anyway. TBH I think building it there is better than the current idea. It has better transport links and, if thought out properly by the council (ok, stop laughing), could be tied in with rejuvenating freeman street.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
I did actually mention that I have seen the plans to level the high-rise flats and you quoted the part of my post which noted this.  

I wasn't keen on the Great Coates site (selfishly as it is miles away from my home in Clee), but I think the current plan for one near to Peaks Parkway isn't bad. The community aspects of the proposal are good (from the little I've read) and the chances of moving there seem much better than any other options which have been mooted.

I understand the concept of a new stadium in a redeveloped Freeman Street area but the funding for such a massive redevelopment simply doesn't exist in the current climate. The council has no money so couldn't back it. The club has no money so couldn't fund it. The government has continued to ratchet back capital spending unless it is something high profile as HS2 (the exact opposite of what should have been done following a recession, naturally). Most importantly, I can't imagine any large property developers willing to make the huge investment required for such a scheme in an impoverished small northern town such as our own. There just isn't the money to be made here when they can just find bits of land to build small housing estates in the south east or on the outskirts of major cities and get guaranteed and quick returns.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
DocTower
October 7, 2014, 11:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Maringer
I did actually mention that I have seen the plans to level the high-rise flats and you quoted the part of my post which noted this.  

I wasn't keen on the Great Coates site (selfishly as it is miles away from my home in Clee), but I think the current plan for one near to Peaks Parkway isn't bad. The community aspects of the proposal are good (from the little I've read) and the chances of moving there seem much better than any other options which have been mooted.

I understand the concept of a new stadium in a redeveloped Freeman Street area but the funding for such a massive redevelopment simply doesn't exist in the current climate. The council has no money so couldn't back it. The club has no money so couldn't fund it. The government has continued to ratchet back capital spending unless it is something high profile as HS2 (the exact opposite of what should have been done following a recession, naturally). Most importantly, I can't imagine any large property developers willing to make the huge investment required for such a scheme in an impoverished small northern town such as our own. There just isn't the money to be made here when they can just find bits of land to build small housing estates in the south east or on the outskirts of major cities and get guaranteed and quick returns.

Seems we're doomed then .
Goodnight god bless .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
psgmariner
October 7, 2014, 12:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
In Rugby Union Wasps are about to move to Coventry's Ricoh Arena. That's quite trek for any of there fans who live in London or Wycombe (where they currently play).

Perhaps we should just move our franchise to somewhere with a nice stadium?

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Abdul19
October 7, 2014, 12:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from psgmariner

Perhaps we should just move our franchise to somewhere with a nice stadium?

Darlington?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2014, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Abdul19

Darlington?

Boston? Last seasons most prolific strikers already there
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
tashee69
October 7, 2014, 1:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Knock all the high rise flats down, knock all freemo down, and build a new community stadium and new complex of shops, flats and housing there.

A mini Tottenham project.

Straight off the M180 still plus the railway is really close, no fathing about, get Grimsby Town to work alongside the Council, Shoreline, and developers, and help the whole area.

Imagine Freeman Street looking something like this!  That's what you call regeneration!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9NX4JZe.jpg[/img]

I always had the impression that the football club is more of a nuisance to the council, especially a particular councillor, who in my opinion would protest about us trying to get a ground anywhere we wanted, even if it was in London.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium???

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.