Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium???
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

New stadium???

This thread currently has 3,451 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
October 7, 2014, 9:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I did actually mention that I have seen the plans to level the high-rise flats and you quoted the part of my post which noted this.  

I wasn't keen on the Great Coates site (selfishly as it is miles away from my home in Clee), but I think the current plan for one near to Peaks Parkway isn't bad. The community aspects of the proposal are good (from the little I've read) and the chances of moving there seem much better than any other options which have been mooted.

I understand the concept of a new stadium in a redeveloped Freeman Street area but the funding for such a massive redevelopment simply doesn't exist in the current climate. The council has no money so couldn't back it. The club has no money so couldn't fund it. The government has continued to ratchet back capital spending unless it is something high profile as HS2 (the exact opposite of what should have been done following a recession, naturally). Most importantly, I can't imagine any large property developers willing to make the huge investment required for such a scheme in an impoverished small northern town such as our own. There just isn't the money to be made here when they can just find bits of land to build small housing estates in the south east or on the outskirts of major cities and get guaranteed and quick returns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
DocTower
October 7, 2014, 11:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Maringer
I did actually mention that I have seen the plans to level the high-rise flats and you quoted the part of my post which noted this.  

I wasn't keen on the Great Coates site (selfishly as it is miles away from my home in Clee), but I think the current plan for one near to Peaks Parkway isn't bad. The community aspects of the proposal are good (from the little I've read) and the chances of moving there seem much better than any other options which have been mooted.

I understand the concept of a new stadium in a redeveloped Freeman Street area but the funding for such a massive redevelopment simply doesn't exist in the current climate. The council has no money so couldn't back it. The club has no money so couldn't fund it. The government has continued to ratchet back capital spending unless it is something high profile as HS2 (the exact opposite of what should have been done following a recession, naturally). Most importantly, I can't imagine any large property developers willing to make the huge investment required for such a scheme in an impoverished small northern town such as our own. There just isn't the money to be made here when they can just find bits of land to build small housing estates in the south east or on the outskirts of major cities and get guaranteed and quick returns.

Seems we're doomed then .
Goodnight god bless .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
psgmariner
October 7, 2014, 12:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
In Rugby Union Wasps are about to move to Coventry's Ricoh Arena. That's quite trek for any of there fans who live in London or Wycombe (where they currently play).

Perhaps we should just move our franchise to somewhere with a nice stadium?

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Abdul19
October 7, 2014, 12:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from psgmariner

Perhaps we should just move our franchise to somewhere with a nice stadium?

Darlington?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2014, 12:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Abdul19

Darlington?

Boston? Last seasons most prolific strikers already there
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
tashee69
October 7, 2014, 1:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Knock all the high rise flats down, knock all freemo down, and build a new community stadium and new complex of shops, flats and housing there.

A mini Tottenham project.

Straight off the M180 still plus the railway is really close, no fathing about, get Grimsby Town to work alongside the Council, Shoreline, and developers, and help the whole area.

Imagine Freeman Street looking something like this!  That's what you call regeneration!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9NX4JZe.jpg[/img]

I always had the impression that the football club is more of a nuisance to the council, especially a particular councillor, who in my opinion would protest about us trying to get a ground anywhere we wanted, even if it was in London.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium???

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.