5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
The_Laughing_Mariner
September 27, 2014, 5:58pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
All away, with the FA cup to follow could be four?

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
September 27, 2014, 6:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Home or away we do not fear anybody,

BUT

The Wrexham and Torquay ones will be hard.

I will be at Dartford so we have got to win there.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
mariner tommy
September 27, 2014, 6:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
All away, with the FA cup to follow could be four?

But we've got two Tuesday home games sandwiched in there.

On the 30th Sept, and 7th Oct.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
GrimRob
September 27, 2014, 7:08pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,431
Gold Stars: 113
Our season normally comes unstuck once the fixture chaos caused by the weather and FA Trophy kicks in. Let's hope we get knocked out in Round 1 and we have a temperate winter, then we'll be fine  

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 43
September 27, 2014, 7:56pm
Guest User
Have to say Rob, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing a much weakened team or 2nd string in the Trophy.
As you progress closer to Wembley, the temptation of course will be to put out a stronger side.
I think we need to resist it tbh.
That's not to say I won't be hoping the 2nd string can make it to Wembley and win.
Reply: 4 - 43
GrimRob
September 27, 2014, 8:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,431
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 120797
Have to say Rob, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing a much weakened team or 2nd string in the Trophy.
As you progress closer to Wembley, the temptation of course will be to put out a stronger side.
I think we need to resist it tbh.
That's not to say I won't be hoping the 2nd string can make it to Wembley and win.

I disagree because it trumps league games. If it was a midweek competition we could treat it as a sort of replacement for the reserves but it interferes with our primary purpose of  promotion by postponing league games. I know that the other teams we are due to play could cause postponements but by being in it we are certain to cause postponements after the first round or two.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 43
September 27, 2014, 8:44pm
Guest User
Ah yes, a good point !
I completely forgot about that.
Thanks for pointing that out, I tend to agree with you then !
Reply: 6 - 43
aldi_01
September 27, 2014, 10:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In the clubs defence we did play a weakened team last year but how many of us would've been drunk off after that excrement journey to Cambridge, in the semi final if he'd played a 'weakened' team.

When you get so far you just want to get to wembley, and at the end of the day, who doesn't?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
horsforthmariner
September 27, 2014, 11:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,633
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from GrimRob

I disagree because it trumps league games. If it was a midweek competition we could treat it as a sort of replacement for the reserves but it interferes with our primary purpose of  promotion by postponing league games. I know that the other teams we are due to play could cause postponements but by being in it we are certain to cause postponements after the first round or two.

Completely agree with this - it seems to me the last two seasons we've had a load of momentum in the league and then from November to January we only play a league game every 3 weeks and shock horror our then it all goes to pot. I'd field a side that allowed macca a rest in goal in round one of the trophy.

No team has won the conference and the trophy in the same season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
September 28, 2014, 3:34am
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01
In the clubs defence we did play a weakened team last year but how many of us would've been drunk off after that excrement journey to Cambridge, in the semi final if he'd played a 'weakened' team.

When you get so far you just want to get to wembley, and at the end of the day, who doesn't?

Yes, a good point !
I was there in the Upper clapping away to the Wembley chants when we beat Dartford with a full strength side.
You've got me wondering now...  

It's all well and good me saying we need to resist the temptation to play a strong team.
But from a financial (and fan !) perspective it's easier said than done the closer you get.
It's natural for people to at least believe we can be successful on all fronts.
Maybe when you're that close you've GOT to go for it.
But where do you draw the line, QF ? Not easy is it...

Quoted from horsforthmariner
No team has won the conference and the trophy in the same season.

Not far off though !!!
York won the playoffs and the Trophy in 2011/12.
Cambridge won the playoffs and the Trophy last season !
I'm not a big believer in stats anyway + records are there to be broken...
Would be quite easy to say Town haven't gained promotion for x years, but doesn't mean I should therefore conclude I don't think we can.

Quoted from horsforthmariner
Completely agree with this - it seems to me the last two seasons we've had a load of momentum in the league and then from November to January we only play a league game every 3 weeks and shock horror our then it all goes to pot

But how much is down to the weather ? You tell me...

I see Rob has put up a question on the home page.
I THINK he's right, but I need to give it some serious thought. (I'm here to be persuaded !)
Cos it MAY make complete sense to exit the Trophy early (even with a weakened team).
But any idea of wanting Town to lose just doesn't feel right !  

One thing I'll say is, it a damn good question !
So far I've come up with...

PROS
We'd gain from fringe/youth players (repeatedly) getting a run out.
Financial benefits (how much did we earn from it ?)
Wembley (albeit sounded like a con according to some ! Admittedly I didn't go..)

CONS
Postponing league games
Wanting Town to lose. (i.e. throwing away financial benefits)
God forbid if we tail off in the league, do we start to kick ourselves for an early Trophy exit ?
Start making big changes people complaining of "tinkering" (or at least they DID before even if we won !)
Reply: 9 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next three Saturdays

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.