Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 242 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 8,494 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 13, 2014, 5:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
They looked a top four side. We looked a mediocre mid table side. We let them waltz into a 2-0 lead and they controlled the game from there. We had 2 or 3 chances but as usual, squandered them all.

On todays showing, we are a nothing side going nowhere and i hope that bucket of ice going over Hursts head contains his P45.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chaos33
September 13, 2014, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Really, really disappointing, and sadly all too predictable. We are pathetic.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
Chrisblor
September 13, 2014, 5:27pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,790
Gold Stars: 234
I didn't think Torquay were THAT good. Both goals came through awful defending on our part and they didn't test McKeown too much otherwise. LJL & (the anonymous) Hannah both missed very good chances in the second half.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
Jarmo.Is.God
September 13, 2014, 5:29pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Magnay was the only bright spark today, very good player, despite everyone up neilsons and Brown's backside, they was both useless today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 43
jonnyboy82
September 13, 2014, 5:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Again we take 45 minutes to start a game which is something has been around since paul has been here.

we sit 14th in the league and again it just seems to be high then low we never seem to be able to show we mean business and I don't get the impression paul believes we mean business either.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
Garth
September 13, 2014, 5:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Too upset to comment on that display, change the Ice bucket for a p1ss bucket
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
September 13, 2014, 5:36pm
Guest User
We all knew that we needed a striker and we could not rely on Lenny Ross and Pitman as they were all not going to score enough goals to mount a challenge. Neil Aspin please
Reply: 6 - 43
Tangerine Chris
September 13, 2014, 5:37pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
After that performance, it is very hard to take any positives from the game.  I hope Hurst dips into the loan market and very quickly.

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
jimgtfc
September 13, 2014, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
Only one team wanted the win today. Credit to Torquay, they looked a very good side, their winger (ajala?) and their centre forwards were superb and caused our back 4 no end of problems. Their midfield dominated ours and knew when to press on and when to drop off. Their back 4 stifled any attacks we produced and their keeper pulled off a worldy  to deny toto, would have been interesting had that gone in.

As for us, well...

Thought either McKeown or toto could have done more for the first goal, seemed to leave to each other. Pearson didn't look his usual self, missed the odd header and tackle. I've never had much faith in Bignot, never does much wrong but we'll look better with Magnay back at rb, who I though was the correct shout for mom. Good defensively and offers a threat going forward. Central midfield was awful today. Worst game I've seen brown have, showed no composure on ball and looked to be trying to hard at times if that makes sense. Neilson and Paddy at least tried to create things to little avail mainly due to a poor final ball. Lennie worked hard as usual but carried little threat.

Last point, I actually feel like I contributed more to the game today than Craig Disley and Ross Hannah did combined

UTM

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
Tinymariner
September 13, 2014, 5:41pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I said it before the Lincoln game but why change a winning side. Disley does not fit into this side. We were playing good passing football with Neilson running riot in front of a good pairing of Brown and Clay.
This is not good enough and now we definitely need some reinforcements.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
jonnyboy82
September 13, 2014, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from 1739
We all knew that we needed a striker and we could not rely on Lenny Ross and Pitman as they were all not going to score enough goals to mount a challenge. Neil Aspin please

true.

we desperately need a striker who can come in with confidence and a proven record but for some reason we cant seem to get one in , begs the question will he get chance to bring one in now.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Chrisblor
September 13, 2014, 5:49pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Hurst on Humberside blaming the officials for not giving us a penalty (fair enough) and a handball for their first (clutching at straws). He's claiming "we have to be better".

Said a loan signing looks likely if LJL isn't fit for Tuesday. Doesn't understand why all our players forgot how to take a corner properly.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
pontoonlew
September 13, 2014, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Stupidly bad. Disley was just embarrassingly crap. Magnay, Brown, Neilson and Mackreth when he came on were the only decent ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Maringer
September 13, 2014, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Chrisblor
I didn't think Torquay were THAT good. Both goals came through awful defending on our part and they didn't test McKeown too much otherwise. LJL & (the anonymous) Hannah both missed very good chances in the second half.

It was Nsiala whose header was saved from close range, not LJL. Shouldn't have given the keeper a chance with a header that easy though.

Otherwise, don't disagree with you. Three chances like those in the second half, it's criminal not to take at least two of them.

First half, we were dire at the back and in midfield. Unfortunately, I'm coming to the conclusion that 90% of Toto's defensive abilities come from the fact that he's big, strong and awkward. Playing against a striker who was similarly big, strong and awkward, he found himself in all sorts of problems at times today with terrible positioning and lack of awareness. No attempt at a challenge for their first goal though, it has to be said, I think McKeown could easily have reached the ball before the shot was squeezed past him.

In midfield, Disley was utterly anonymous in the first half and Brown wasn't much better. Their second came when Brown lost possession in midfield and Toto got back to defend initially, but then lost possession in the box as he tried to overplay instead of just whacking it clear. A little unfortunate that the ball deflected in, but only ourselves to blame for two defensive errors.

We improved markedly in the second half once Clay and Mackreth came on (I thought McLaughlin was unfortunate to be taken off as he'd been more effective than both Disley and Brown), but if you don't take your chances, you don't get any points. Neilson poor today.

Earlier in the season the defence looked very solid but it seems pretty obvious that this was due in great part to Boyce. Any chance of us getting him back in on loan? Pearson has been a bit out of sorts this season as well, but I reckon in part this might be because he's no bloody clue what Nsiala is going to do next!

Big worry now is what the heck we are going to do up front in the next game. Pittman looks like he will be out for a while, LJL took a fair whack so could be out a couple of weeks so that just leaves us with Hannah who looks utterly ineffectual at the moment.

Hurst had better get involved in the loan market very soon indeed and, whoever is playing up front better start taking some of the many chances that we are still creating!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
RoboCod
September 13, 2014, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
He's certainly not the luckiest manager, 2 pens against and a foul on the keeper to lose the game late on against Lincoln one example, but he still makes the decisions and calls the lineups. I'm not taking the trek to BP until this team show more purpose and aggression and at least try to seize the initiative from the kick off.
We're back to the inevitability of conceding whenever the opposition get forward, still being outrun in midfield, all with the absolute certainty that the team will not pull any goals back to get anything out of the game. Still too similar to 4 years ago under Woods.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
jimgtfc
September 13, 2014, 6:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from pontoonlew
Stupidly bad. Disley was just embarrassingly crap. Magnay, Brown, Neilson and Mackreth when he came on were the only decent ones.

Brown was woeful today Lew. Agree about the others though, good to see Mackreth make an impact when he came on.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
pontoonlew
September 13, 2014, 6:14pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm glad I can't go for the rest of the year, when a manager decides to change a team performing so well he deserves everything he gets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
Teestogreen
September 13, 2014, 6:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -139
Gold Stars: 22
Amen to that

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
timmo
September 13, 2014, 6:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
I don't think 4 4 2 worked today. We missed Scotty behind the front 2 running the show, he was too easy to handle today and we all know we get the best out of Paddy in a mid 3 not out on the left.

I was impressed with Mackreth when he came on, best I've seen him play.

We need a striker who can find the net, 1 on 1 Hannah missed LJL would have been shot down in flames.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
pontoonlew
September 13, 2014, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It was Nsiala whose header was saved from close range, not LJL. Shouldn't have given the keeper a chance with a header that easy though.

Otherwise, don't disagree with you. Three chances like those in the second half, it's criminal not to take at least two of them.

First half, we were dire at the back and in midfield. Unfortunately, I'm coming to the conclusion that 90% of Toto's defensive abilities come from the fact that he's big, strong and awkward. Playing against a striker who was similarly big, strong and awkward, he found himself in all sorts of problems at times today with terrible positioning and lack of awareness. No attempt at a challenge for their first goal though, it has to be said, I think McKeown could easily have reached the ball before the shot was squeezed past him.

In midfield, Disley was utterly anonymous in the first half and Brown wasn't much better. Their second came when Brown lost possession in midfield and Toto got back to defend initially, but then lost possession in the box as he tried to overplay instead of just whacking it clear. A little unfortunate that the ball deflected in, but only ourselves to blame for two defensive errors.

We improved markedly in the second half once Clay and Mackreth came on (I thought McLaughlin was unfortunate to be taken off as he'd been more effective than both Disley and Brown), but if you don't take your chances, you don't get any points. Neilson poor today.

Earlier in the season the defence looked very solid but it seems pretty obvious that this was due in great part to Boyce. Any chance of us getting him back in on loan? Pearson has been a bit out of sorts this season as well, but I reckon in part this might be because he's no bloody clue what Nsiala is going to do next!

Big worry now is what the heck we are going to do up front in the next game. Pittman looks like he will be out for a while, LJL took a fair whack so could be out a couple of weeks so that just leaves us with Hannah who looks utterly ineffectual at the moment.

Hurst had better get involved in the loan market very soon indeed and, whoever is playing up front better start taking some of the many chances that we are still creating!

I'm 99% sure it was Disley who gave the ball away for the second (and lost his man for the first). Also sure it was LJL who's effort was saved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
DocTower
September 13, 2014, 6:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from jimgtfc

Brown was woeful today Lew. Agree about the others though, good to see Mackreth make an impact when he came on.

Disagree with you about Brown  he covered yards of space that the anonymous Disley should have been covering . No game plan , yet again , they were better in all departments . We will be under 3000 by October .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
Maringer
September 13, 2014, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I'm 99% sure it was Disley who gave the ball away for the second (and lost his man for the first). Also sure it was LJL who's effort was saved.

Hmmm. I know Disley gave the ball away once or twice, but I was pretty sure that it was Brown who lost possession shortly before their goal.

I was also sure that the header from the free-kick was Toto's!

No doubt the 'highlights' will show what happened. Pretty poor defending all around for both the goals and whoever headed that chance should have scored.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
Maringer
September 13, 2014, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just listened to the post-match interview and Hurst notes that Brown was the one that lost possession for their second goal. Thought that was the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
oldun
September 13, 2014, 6:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Like most of us ?I was disappointed by the way we performed in the first half when we gave them so much space and failed to get important tackles in. Better in second half but never looked like getting back into it. Having said all that, I don't think PH had much choice with his starting line up assuming Clay was not 100% and having to play Disley. The rest of the players were those who gave played some good stuff in earlier games albeit probably when given a bit more time on the ball. Now his selection options are limited with tough games coming thick and fast. Testing times for sure and re-enforcements needed quickly to stem the tide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
mariner91
September 13, 2014, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,636
Gold Stars: 261
Whilst I thought Torquay looked quite good, I don't think they were unbeatable. Their number 10 and 24 were excellent players though and Toto and Pearson struggled to get to grips with them all game. In fact, I would go as far as to say they were both very poor today. The first goal came from Pearson being completely bullied and dominated by their big striker and one of the midfielders (Disley I think who I will get on to) lost their runner who scored. The second was from Brown stupidly giving it away on the half way line and Toto trying to be clever when he had the chance to boot it away. But apart from the goals and when they walked through early on and should have scored, they didn't really do too much going forward. Toto seems to be a good last ditch defender but the problem is he makes most these tackles because of his own mistakes. And Pearson really didn't cover himself in glory today, didn't appear strong enough.

As I said after the Lincoln game, Disley does not fit into the way we play best. I thought we would struggle when I heard the line up as none of the starting midfielders do the dirty work of tracking runners and breaking the play up. Had Clay been on the pitch to follow the run for the first goal, it might have been prevented. But we'll never know. Back to Disley and I feel his time has passed. He slows the play down too much, doesn't particularly break up play and just seems to not be the player he was a couple of years ago.

This wasn't helped by Brown being very poor today, the first time I've been disappointed in him. Hopefully this was just an off game though and he'll find form again. Neilson was also quieter than he has been but again, hopefully just an off game. We'll see in the coming weeks though.

LJL did alright with his usual bustling style. Actually thought his touch was a bit better than normal today, he took one particularly nice touch in front of the Findus in the first half. I feared the worst when Pittman went off as he is by far our best striker and I think Hannah is useless. I've said it for a while but he offers nothing other than some finishing ability and if you miss those chances he was given today you have to question whether he even has that. The first chance nearly went over the Pontoon from 8 yards and the second chance was 8 yards out with no defenders near, possibly the easiest it gets. Apart from that he was completely anonymous and offers nothing to general play. In my opinion a striker should be at least one of the following: quick/strong/tricky/smart (ideally more than one) and Hannah is none of these things. Doesn't even contest half the passes that go his way. If we're relying on him in the next few games, then we're screwed. Even if Pittman and LJL are fit for Tuesday, I'd still dip into the loan market as I have no faith in Hannah coming off the bench.

Thought that Hurst made the correct changes for once and had their keeper not made that wonder save and LJL not gone off injured, we might have got something out of the game. But it needs to improve and quickly starting by reverting to the personnel and system that worked so well! And it served to prove just how little depth there is in the squad. I'd be making calls tomorrow if I was PH regarding two or three players coming in on loan, starting with getting Boyce back and a striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
mariner91
September 13, 2014, 7:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

It was definitely Brown who should have not been so stupid in a precarious position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
TownSNAFU5
September 13, 2014, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42

That was awful. I

Anyone who thought that the 1-1 HT score at Lincoln was justified, saw us get our just desserts for another poor half-time display.  Why did we not learn from the Lincoln game to start better?

Was Clay not fully fit to start, as Disley offered nothing.

Injuries were both very unfortunate.  However, Torquay had chances to score before the first one.  They looked more fluid, passed better and worked better as a team than we did.  Even in the second half when they attacked, they had 4 or 5 in the box.  Good support from midfield.

We were better when the subs came on but too late.

Minor points:

Hannah said in the programme that he is good at goalscoring.  He had little service today but did miss any chances that came his away.

The Ref should have booked 2 of their players in the first half for kicking and and throwing the ball away when we had a freekick.

The Torquay fans (103) deserved a clap for coming all this way. They only really sung after the final whistle. At least they did not win 3-0 as they did last time.          
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
mariner tommy
September 13, 2014, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from pontoonlew

Apart from his corner taking, they were terrible.
Reminded me of Colbeck.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
moosey_club
September 13, 2014, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Torquay IMO are probably the best organised and hardest workin team we have played so far this season, and we struggled as we have done for the past couple of seasons against such teams.
Dont recall them troubling Mckeown at any point in the game other than the two goals which were poorly defended, possible penalty for us early doors when LJL appeared to get caught but other than that i think it was 62 mins before we put a serious effort on target from open play, just not good enough.
Pittman going off early obviously upset the apple cart a little so unlucky for Hurst but thats where this "better squad than last year" argument falls flat, Hannah came on and we didnt threaten again until the second half did we??
Torquay's 24 was a handful who gave Pearson and Nsiala a torrid afternoon and the No.10 was tricky who we couldnt get to grips with but outside of that they didnt hurt us that often.
We had 3 or 4 better than their chances to score but failed, their keeper made a couple of good stops to be fair but still overall we created little, relied soleley on Neilson to attack with any purpose.
There were brief glimpses of neat passing in the first half but went long too early as the game progressed.

My first visit view since the early opening draws and didnt feel inspired by what i saw, a half decent opposition relatively easily taking away three points, bad luck with injuries disrupting the team set up but as with last season there seemed to be no pattern to our play, no understanding between key partnerships, Disley/Brown..Pearson Toto and Hannah/LJL and when you dont have understanding down the spine of your team then it doesnt bode well.

Magnay looked excellent, a real turnaround from my first impression of him in pre season.  Long hard and depressing season ahead i feel.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
Tom13
September 13, 2014, 8:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from mariner91
Whilst I thought Torquay looked quite good, I don't think they were unbeatable. Their number 10 and 24 were excellent players though and Toto and Pearson struggled to get to grips with them all game. In fact, I would go as far as to say they were both very poor today. The first goal came from Pearson being completely bullied and dominated by their big striker and one of the midfielders (Disley I think who I will get on to) lost their runner who scored. The second was from Brown stupidly giving it away on the half way line and Toto trying to be clever when he had the chance to boot it away. But apart from the goals and when they walked through early on and should have scored, they didn't really do too much going forward. Toto seems to be a good last ditch defender but the problem is he makes most these tackles because of his own mistakes. And Pearson really didn't cover himself in glory today, didn't appear strong enough.

As I said after the Lincoln game, Disley does not fit into the way we play best. I thought we would struggle when I heard the line up as none of the starting midfielders do the dirty work of tracking runners and breaking the play up. Had Clay been on the pitch to follow the run for the first goal, it might have been prevented. But we'll never know. Back to Disley and I feel his time has passed. He slows the play down too much, doesn't particularly break up play and just seems to not be the player he was a couple of years ago.

This wasn't helped by Brown being very poor today, the first time I've been disappointed in him. Hopefully this was just an off game though and he'll find form again. Neilson was also quieter than he has been but again, hopefully just an off game. We'll see in the coming weeks though.

LJL did alright with his usual bustling style. Actually thought his touch was a bit better than normal today, he took one particularly nice touch in front of the Findus in the first half. I feared the worst when Pittman went off as he is by far our best striker and I think Hannah is useless. I've said it for a while but he offers nothing other than some finishing ability and if you miss those chances he was given today you have to question whether he even has that. The first chance nearly went over the Pontoon from 8 yards and the second chance was 8 yards out with no defenders near, possibly the easiest it gets. Apart from that he was completely anonymous and offers nothing to general play. In my opinion a striker should be at least one of the following: quick/strong/tricky/smart (ideally more than one) and Hannah is none of these things. Doesn't even contest half the passes that go his way. If we're relying on him in the next few games, then we're screwed. Even if Pittman and LJL are fit for Tuesday, I'd still dip into the loan market as I have no faith in Hannah coming off the bench.

Thought that Hurst made the correct changes for once and had their keeper not made that wonder save and LJL not gone off injured, we might have got something out of the game. But it needs to improve and quickly starting by reverting to the personnel and system that worked so well! And it served to prove just how little depth there is in the squad. I'd be making calls tomorrow if I was PH regarding two or three players coming in on loan, starting with getting Boyce back and a striker.

Couldn't agree more, particularly about Hannah.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
TAGG
September 13, 2014, 9:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
First half Torquay were first to the ball, put in the better tackles, better organised and wanted it more than us.
Yes we should have had a pen but we didn't get it, that didn't lose us the game.
Second half was slightly better but I think it was more them free-wheeling because it looked easy for them.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
barralad
September 13, 2014, 9:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I fully understand the hypothesis that you make your own luck in football but bloody Nora Hurst must have run over a dozen black cats on his way to Grimsby.

No bad luck regarding the two Torquay goals-just appalling defending (or lackadaisical play in dangerous areas) but to lose Pittman to a seemingly innocuous challenge and then to play the last 20 odd minutes with ten men when you are trying to get back into a game is pushing the boundaries of fortune a step too far. I wonder how many games this season Hurst has been able to put out what he feels is his strongest first XI?

I keep banging on about it but today showed yet again how much we are missing Boyce. Every time they got the ball in our half today panic set in. Is he even getting a game for Scunny? (See they lost 4-1 today).

McLaughlin showed his lack of defensive capabilities today but I felt a bit for him seemingly being expected to play as an out and out winger.
Hannah did little to force himself into Hurst's thinking. It may have been lack of match time but had LJL missed either of those two chances (both of which were created by him) the knives would have been well and truly out for him both on here and at the time. I cannot remember a Town forward with such a seemingly poor awareness of what is going on around him.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
mariner91
September 13, 2014, 10:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad
I fully understand the hypothesis that you make your own luck in football but bloody Nora Hurst must have run over a dozen black cats on his way to Grimsby.

No bad luck regarding the two Torquay goals-just appalling defending (or lackadaisical play in dangerous areas) but to lose Pittman to a seemingly innocuous challenge and then to play the last 20 odd minutes with ten men when you are trying to get back into a game is pushing the boundaries of fortune a step too far. I wonder how many games this season Hurst has been able to put out what he feels is his strongest first XI?

I keep banging on about it but today showed yet again how much we are missing Boyce. Every time they got the ball in our half today panic set in. Is he even getting a game for Scunny? (See they lost 4-1 today).

McLaughlin showed his lack of defensive capabilities today but I felt a bit for him seemingly being expected to play as an out and out winger.
Hannah did little to force himself into Hurst's thinking. It may have been lack of match time but had LJL missed either of those two chances (both of which were created by him) the knives would have been well and truly out for him both on here and at the time. I cannot remember a Town forward with such a seemingly poor awareness of what is going on around him.

Hannah offers nothing. People say he's a good finisher but it's about time he started showing it. LJL has his limitations but I know which player is easier to play against out of him and Hannah. We need at least one forward player in on loan. Particularly if Pittman and Arnold are going to be so injury prone. People say we'll not go up relying on LJL and they may have a point.but I always think LJL is more likely to score than Hannah because he does at least do something. Like you said, if it had been LJL missing those chances the knives would be out and yet people gloss over the fact that they were glaring misses and cost us points today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
arryarryarry
September 13, 2014, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from mariner91

Hannah offers nothing. People say he's a good finisher but it's about time he started showing it. LJL has his limitations but I know which player is easier to play against out of him and Hannah. We need at least one forward player in on loan. Particularly if Pittman and Arnold are going to be so injury prone. People say we'll not go up relying on LJL and they may have a point .but I always think LJL is more likely to score than Hannah because he does at least do something. Like you said, if it had been LJL missing those chances the knives would be out and yet people gloss over the fact that they were glaring misses and cost us points today.

I know Hannah should have scored today but please tell me you are taking the p|ss there or did you not go to Lincoln?

Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
Tom13
September 13, 2014, 11:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from mariner91

Hannah offers nothing. People say he's a good finisher but it's about time he started showing it. LJL has his limitations but I know which player is easier to play against out of him and Hannah. We need at least one forward player in on loan. Particularly if Pittman and Arnold are going to be so injury prone. People say we'll not go up relying on LJL and they may have a point.but I always think LJL is more likely to score than Hannah because he does at least do something. Like you said, if it had been LJL missing those chances the knives would be out and yet people gloss over the fact that they were glaring misses and cost us points today.

Also take into account that we actually paid good money for Hannah on a relatively long-term deal - most disappointing permanent signing of the last few years IMO. In fact, did we not pay less for Hearn than we actually did for Hannah?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
mariner91
September 13, 2014, 11:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I know Hannah should have scored today but please tell me you are taking the p|ss there or did you not go to Lincoln?

You need to actually get the ball and challenge defenders to score. Hannah doesn't. LJL isn't a great finisher, far from it. But a lot of the time Hannah is no better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
Chrisblor
September 13, 2014, 11:31pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Hannah got plenty of stick for both misses from the people sitting near me. I think people are starting to tire of him missing chances when finishing is practically the only thing he brings to the team.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
mariner91
September 13, 2014, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
Hannah got plenty of stick for both misses from the people sitting near me. I think people are starting to tire of him missing chances when finishing is practically the only thing he brings to the team.

Precisely my point. If you're going to be that sort of striker, the sort that doesn't contribute much during play but pops up with goals, you need the goals to justify yourself being on the pitch!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 43
arryarryarry
September 14, 2014, 12:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
My take on it, Torquay were a class above in that first half and in the second did what they had to do.

I don't believe this manager and squad are good enough to compete for a play-off place let alone top spot. We are still short of 4 or 5 players.

We need a right back, and another centre-half and at least a couple of forwards.

I know many on here were pleasuring themselves when Toto signed but to me he is a disaster waiting to happen each game, on Tuesday his defending for Lincoln's first goal was hopeless and today it was him that played the ball to the guy who scored the second goal.

Brown looks to me like Kerr but with legs, he was poor today and as for his corners, garbage.

I've always been a fan of Disley but today he was poor. Nielsen had one of those games where he was in and out although he did play a great ball through to Hannah for his second chance. McLaughlin was also poor, hardly created a thing and defensively he just can't hack it, God knows why some suggest he can do a job at right back.

Hannah should have scored and even though LJL had a couple of efforts at goal he never looked like troubling Sky Sports tickertape.

For me major changes are needed if we are to get out of this league.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
mariner91
September 14, 2014, 12:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
My take on it, Torquay were a class above in that first half and in the second did what they had to do.

I don't believe this manager and squad are good enough to compete for a play-off place let alone top spot. We are still short of 4 or 5 players.

We need a right back, and another centre-half and at least a couple of forwards.

I know many on here were pleasuring themselves when Toto signed but to me he is a disaster waiting to happen each game, on Tuesday his defending for Lincoln's first goal was hopeless and today it was him that played the ball to the guy who scored the second goal.

Brown looks to me like Kerr but with legs, he was poor today and as for his corners, garbage.

I've always been a fan of Disley but today he was poor. Nielsen had one of those games where he was in and out although he did play a great ball through to Hannah for his second chance. McLaughlin was also poor, hardly created a thing and defensively he just can't hack it, God knows why some suggest he can do a job at right back.

Hannah should have scored and even though LJL had a couple of efforts at goal he never looked like troubling Sky Sports tickertape.

For me major changes are needed if we are to get out of this league.

A reasonable assessment. I don't personally think major changes are needed but the squad needs more depth and desperately needs a top quality forward player in pronto.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
barralad
September 14, 2014, 8:01am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from arryarryarry

Right Back certainly appears to be a problem area but only temporarily until Aswad gets fit and Magnay can slot in there. The same really with the forwards. We have them on the books but keeping them fit seems to be the issue. Therein lies the problem for a team at our level. The money isn't there for a massive squad and besides, what player worth their salt wants to come to a fifth tier club to warm the bench? You could argue Hurst has taken far too big a gamble with The Pope but Hurst has clearly thought it was a gamble worth taking and so far when he has played he's definitely delivered.

Toto is a much more controversial point for me. It is too much a coincidence that he has started to make errors since Boyce returned to Scunny. I haven't looked it up but Toto is I believe 22 years old so is still learning the game. I believe that if Hurst decides that strengthening is needed then his real effort should be put into finding a Centre Half who can get us back to being a solid defensive unit. I'm a firm believer in building from the back and any decent team at the moment will find a way through our lacking in confidence back four....

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 43
DocTower
September 14, 2014, 8:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from mariner91

A reasonable assessment. I don't personally think major changes are needed but the squad needs more depth and desperately needs a top quality forward player in pronto.

Agree with you , but when our manager is so hell bent on his favorite love child we aren't getting one , Hannah needs game time and right feeding of the ball . Sat on the bench to come on and alter a game isn't his style . Four weeks into the season  shish !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 43
mariner91
September 14, 2014, 8:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

Agree with you , but when our manager is so hell bent on his favorite love child we aren't getting one , Hannah needs game time and right feeding of the ball . Sat on the bench to come on and alter a game isn't his style . Four weeks into the season  shish !

Hannah is worse than LJL. He was on for 70 minutes yesterday and his only two contributions were missing two very easy chances, the sort of chance LJL would be lynched for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 43
barralad
September 14, 2014, 9:17am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from DocTower

The knockdown by LJL for Hannah's first chance was a gift just begging to be put away.

The second was a great through ball. Actually for all I complain about Hannah's lack of awareness he timed his run brilliantly-just couldn't finish one on one.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.