Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 291 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 8,495 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
September 13, 2014, 5:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from 1739
We all knew that we needed a striker and we could not rely on Lenny Ross and Pitman as they were all not going to score enough goals to mount a challenge. Neil Aspin please

true.

we desperately need a striker who can come in with confidence and a proven record but for some reason we cant seem to get one in , begs the question will he get chance to bring one in now.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Chrisblor
September 13, 2014, 5:49pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,790
Gold Stars: 234
Hurst on Humberside blaming the officials for not giving us a penalty (fair enough) and a handball for their first (clutching at straws). He's claiming "we have to be better".

Said a loan signing looks likely if LJL isn't fit for Tuesday. Doesn't understand why all our players forgot how to take a corner properly.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
pontoonlew
September 13, 2014, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Stupidly bad. Disley was just embarrassingly crap. Magnay, Brown, Neilson and Mackreth when he came on were the only decent ones.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Maringer
September 13, 2014, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Chrisblor
I didn't think Torquay were THAT good. Both goals came through awful defending on our part and they didn't test McKeown too much otherwise. LJL & (the anonymous) Hannah both missed very good chances in the second half.

It was Nsiala whose header was saved from close range, not LJL. Shouldn't have given the keeper a chance with a header that easy though.

Otherwise, don't disagree with you. Three chances like those in the second half, it's criminal not to take at least two of them.

First half, we were dire at the back and in midfield. Unfortunately, I'm coming to the conclusion that 90% of Toto's defensive abilities come from the fact that he's big, strong and awkward. Playing against a striker who was similarly big, strong and awkward, he found himself in all sorts of problems at times today with terrible positioning and lack of awareness. No attempt at a challenge for their first goal though, it has to be said, I think McKeown could easily have reached the ball before the shot was squeezed past him.

In midfield, Disley was utterly anonymous in the first half and Brown wasn't much better. Their second came when Brown lost possession in midfield and Toto got back to defend initially, but then lost possession in the box as he tried to overplay instead of just whacking it clear. A little unfortunate that the ball deflected in, but only ourselves to blame for two defensive errors.

We improved markedly in the second half once Clay and Mackreth came on (I thought McLaughlin was unfortunate to be taken off as he'd been more effective than both Disley and Brown), but if you don't take your chances, you don't get any points. Neilson poor today.

Earlier in the season the defence looked very solid but it seems pretty obvious that this was due in great part to Boyce. Any chance of us getting him back in on loan? Pearson has been a bit out of sorts this season as well, but I reckon in part this might be because he's no bloody clue what Nsiala is going to do next!

Big worry now is what the heck we are going to do up front in the next game. Pittman looks like he will be out for a while, LJL took a fair whack so could be out a couple of weeks so that just leaves us with Hannah who looks utterly ineffectual at the moment.

Hurst had better get involved in the loan market very soon indeed and, whoever is playing up front better start taking some of the many chances that we are still creating!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
RoboCod
September 13, 2014, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
He's certainly not the luckiest manager, 2 pens against and a foul on the keeper to lose the game late on against Lincoln one example, but he still makes the decisions and calls the lineups. I'm not taking the trek to BP until this team show more purpose and aggression and at least try to seize the initiative from the kick off.
We're back to the inevitability of conceding whenever the opposition get forward, still being outrun in midfield, all with the absolute certainty that the team will not pull any goals back to get anything out of the game. Still too similar to 4 years ago under Woods.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
jimgtfc
September 13, 2014, 6:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from pontoonlew
Stupidly bad. Disley was just embarrassingly crap. Magnay, Brown, Neilson and Mackreth when he came on were the only decent ones.

Brown was woeful today Lew. Agree about the others though, good to see Mackreth make an impact when he came on.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
pontoonlew
September 13, 2014, 6:14pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm glad I can't go for the rest of the year, when a manager decides to change a team performing so well he deserves everything he gets.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
Teestogreen
September 13, 2014, 6:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -142
Gold Stars: 22
Amen to that

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
timmo
September 13, 2014, 6:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +58
I don't think 4 4 2 worked today. We missed Scotty behind the front 2 running the show, he was too easy to handle today and we all know we get the best out of Paddy in a mid 3 not out on the left.

I was impressed with Mackreth when he came on, best I've seen him play.

We need a striker who can find the net, 1 on 1 Hannah missed LJL would have been shot down in flames.

Timmo
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
pontoonlew
September 13, 2014, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It was Nsiala whose header was saved from close range, not LJL. Shouldn't have given the keeper a chance with a header that easy though.

Otherwise, don't disagree with you. Three chances like those in the second half, it's criminal not to take at least two of them.

First half, we were dire at the back and in midfield. Unfortunately, I'm coming to the conclusion that 90% of Toto's defensive abilities come from the fact that he's big, strong and awkward. Playing against a striker who was similarly big, strong and awkward, he found himself in all sorts of problems at times today with terrible positioning and lack of awareness. No attempt at a challenge for their first goal though, it has to be said, I think McKeown could easily have reached the ball before the shot was squeezed past him.

In midfield, Disley was utterly anonymous in the first half and Brown wasn't much better. Their second came when Brown lost possession in midfield and Toto got back to defend initially, but then lost possession in the box as he tried to overplay instead of just whacking it clear. A little unfortunate that the ball deflected in, but only ourselves to blame for two defensive errors.

We improved markedly in the second half once Clay and Mackreth came on (I thought McLaughlin was unfortunate to be taken off as he'd been more effective than both Disley and Brown), but if you don't take your chances, you don't get any points. Neilson poor today.

Earlier in the season the defence looked very solid but it seems pretty obvious that this was due in great part to Boyce. Any chance of us getting him back in on loan? Pearson has been a bit out of sorts this season as well, but I reckon in part this might be because he's no bloody clue what Nsiala is going to do next!

Big worry now is what the heck we are going to do up front in the next game. Pittman looks like he will be out for a while, LJL took a fair whack so could be out a couple of weeks so that just leaves us with Hannah who looks utterly ineffectual at the moment.

Hurst had better get involved in the loan market very soon indeed and, whoever is playing up front better start taking some of the many chances that we are still creating!

I'm 99% sure it was Disley who gave the ball away for the second (and lost his man for the first). Also sure it was LJL who's effort was saved.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.