4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
September 6, 2014, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,022
Gold Stars: 174
Sounded like we may have benefited more from starting with two strikers? Sounded like we looked more of a threat when Hannah came on, it came across that way, or is that not a fair reflection?

Neilson is an absolute class act as well, for whatever reason we never saw the best of him last year, probably a fitness thing but now he seems miles away our best player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
jonnyboy82
September 6, 2014, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from pontoonlew
Sounded like we may have benefited more from starting with two strikers? Sounded like we looked more of a threat when Hannah came on, it came across that way, or is that not a fair reflection?

Neilson is an absolute class act as well, for whatever reason we never saw the best of him last year, probably a fitness thing but now he seems miles away our best player.

we played well throughout but slightly looked more like scoring again when ross came on..

as for neilson I would doubt anyone could show me a better player in our league at the minute..

the lad has everything to be a major part in our play this year, absolute quality.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
RoboCod
September 6, 2014, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Sounds good, hope this all comes together for Tues night and we dismantle Lincoln.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
mariner tommy
September 6, 2014, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
A bit of a stroll in the first half with only one team likely to score. Was more relaxed when we eventually did, and what a well worked goal as well.
Second half started totally different, for the first twenty minutes it looked like they were going to score, we seem to sit back and let them dictate play.
Must admit was getting very nervous, but when the totally unselfish ball from Neilson got through to Bignot and he was brought down it relaxed everybody again. Even before we scored the penalty I never doubted that Ross would finish superb, and he did.
Made slightly hard work of beating a very poor Welling side but, we did enough and that's what counts.
My outstanding performers, well, first of all nobody had a bad game, but for me the difference was, Nielson, totally unplayable today.
and also Brown, Clay,Paddy,Magnay and Toto were all first class. But as I say, nobody was poor, it's just that these players were excellent.

And to finish off a good afternoon, I quite enjoyed the ice bucket challenge as well. Neilson even had a part to play in that as well, as he cheekily slapped John Fenty's backside after collecting his MOM award.
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
marinerjase
September 6, 2014, 7:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,649
Gold Stars: 147
Comfortable win, without really having to play well to beat them. On the whole have to bear in mind a couple players missing and it was a decent performance, probably in 3rd gear, ie more to come.

Like Magnay a lot, very good signing, versatile, and technically very good. Surprisingly so going forward. Neilson is on form but not sure todays position suits him, prefer him out wide and a free role to come inside. Scott Brown, as all say is a big improvement on what we had and is key. Clay looks very decent alongside, and again has to be mentioned on what a job Paddy does for the side. Early impressions on Makreth are that he is very lightweight, and doesn't look the same player that caused us so much bother for others. Can only improve. Defensively we look alright, Toto makes the odd error but has the pace to recover, Pearson is solid but think he hasn't started the season as well as he could. Bignot has looked alright, and of course Thomas can come back (may have to earn his place).

The striker front looks promising..LJL is having a good season and should start when available, Pittman looks a very good player for this level, Hannah showed today what he can do, and Arnold is slowly getting fit. Maybe this is an area we can improve on/look at strengthening in January or a loan beforehand.

All in all it's been a promising start in a competitive league..7/8 clubs will pull away from rest. We will have a better idea after four tough games coming up..a derby, Torquay, Kidderminster and Halifax.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
chicaneuk
September 6, 2014, 7:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
They just reeked of being a potential banana skin - a 2-0 result against them with one of our main strikers out is very reassuring. Bring on the Gimps on Tuesday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Chrisblor
September 6, 2014, 7:46pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 234
Good post (not sure why the mods haven't merged this with the other just back thread though?)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
TAGG
September 6, 2014, 7:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,970
Gold Stars: 124
Great three points but in the most not such a good game. I can't for the the life of me fathom why Hurst changed our shape just because LJL wasn't playing. Why not just put Hanner in for LJL as he did with Bignote to move Tote to CD. He changed our shape to accommodate Pearson when he came back, why tinker???
Was disappointed in Hurst turning his back on Hanners goal celibrations.
All I think had okay game except McKreth who is to lightweight and brings nothing to the side.
Still not changed my mind about Arnold, seen him play 6 times and still don't think he's a player.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
Tom13
September 6, 2014, 8:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from pontoonlew

I thought that at the game, although PH's hands were tied to an extent with Hannah and Arnold not being fit enough to last 90 minutes. Having two up front would've given Neilson more options for through balls as well, something I think has really helped the strikers has been PH moving Neilson inside to influence the game more - perhaps this is why he looks so improved from last season?

Can only echo about Neilson, not in the game as much as previous games but still enough to create the two goals - he did brilliantly to dig out the cross for the first with the ball stuck in his feet almost. As long as we don't become totally reliant on him, he'll provide the most of our attacking threat this year, meaning that Lincoln are clearly going to kick him to shreds on Tuesday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Grimal
September 6, 2014, 8:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from chicaneuk
[/b]They just reeked of being a potential banana skin [b]- a 2-0 result against them with one of our main strikers out is very reassuring. Bring on the Gimps on Tuesday!

That's what I thought but we have 2 points more out of Welling already, than we got from both games against them last season,that can't be bad.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.