Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

Just Back

This thread currently has 3,835 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
September 7, 2014, 12:00pm
Guest User
Good "Professional" performance.

In hindsight a good move by Hurst to play Neilson as extra creative support, often dropping deep to link up in midfield.
That said Hannah looked keen as mustard and full of energy when he came on.

Pittman had another quality hardworking game looking tired when he came off, probably not enough reason to feature again at Lincoln but the issue will no doubt remain as the season progresses just as long as he keeps playing.

Generally an unspectacular game with some good stuff being played before the goal came at the perfect time before H/T.

Bit disappointed with the lack of movement 2nd half and "dropping deep" in general although with a game on Tuesday, you can understand them taking their foot off the gas a bit. (especially 2 up not sure about 1 though !)

Brown, Neilson and Magnay probably the standouts.
Arnold showed good glimpses when he came on and thought Bignot got forward well.
Some Town players (especially Paddy) need to "get goalside" before they tackle.

Job done, roll on Lincoln...
Reply: 30 - 39
oldun
September 7, 2014, 12:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
How many times at today's game did you think; "god we are good"?

UTM

At times we were, especially in the first half. If an opposition came and played like that we would be singing their praises, lets sing our own praises today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
September 7, 2014, 12:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew
Sounded like we may have benefited more from starting with two strikers? Sounded like we looked more of a threat when Hannah came on, it came across that way, or is that not a fair reflection?

Tricky one, was wondering this myself.

I don't think it's necessarily about "formations".
Hannah came on as sub full of energy.
Who knows how well he would have linked up.
But arguably Neilson did and look at the FACTS, Neilson assist for Pittman...
Who knows about Tuesday but think you've got to give Hurst credit yesterday (looked a risk KO) tbh.

Reply: 32 - 39
Maringer
September 7, 2014, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
We played some decent football in the first half yesterday but, when you think about it, it was disappointing that we created so few opportunities from this good possession. I know that Welling were working hard in defence and sitting relatively deep, but you'd still hope to see a couple more good chances.

Once they began to have more of a go in attack in the second half, we had a lot more counter-attacking opportunities and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed that we didn't do better from some of those.

No real complaints, however, as a victory and a clean sheet will do every day of the week. We'll need to be more clinical in our forthcoming games against some of the better teams in the division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Garth
September 7, 2014, 12:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Maringer
We played some decent football in the first half yesterday but, when you think about it, it was disappointing that we created so few opportunities from this good possession. I know that Welling were working hard in defence and sitting relatively deep, but you'd still hope to see a couple more good chances.

Once they began to have more of a go in attack in the second half, we had a lot more counter-attacking opportunities and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed that we didn't do better from some of those.

No real complaints, however, as a victory and a clean sheet will do every day of the week. We'll need to be more clinical in our forthcoming games against some of the better teams in the division.

Thought they were lucky to finish with eleven on the field, and we did miss LJL impact up front
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
September 7, 2014, 12:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
We played some decent football in the first half yesterday but, when you think about it, it was disappointing that we created so few opportunities from this good possession. I know that Welling were working hard in defence and sitting relatively deep

Well yeah was just about to say....

Quoted from Maringer
but you'd still hope to see a couple more good chances.

Well yeah you can always hope for more, probably partly due to the 6-1 & 7-0 !
Must admit I wondered if it was worth an £18 entrance fee at times.
BUT when Alfreton was worth every penny x 10 you really can't complain !
End of the day it isn't always easy, Hurst had a job to do, Lincoln to think of and most importantly, we'd have ALL taken a 1-0 before kick off.
Reply: 35 - 39
Maringer
September 7, 2014, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,399
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Garth

Thought they were lucky to finish with eleven on the field, and we did miss LJL impact up front

Yep. I thought the referee just took the decision to be lenient to the smaller club and not send their defenders off because he thought we had the game won. The penalty would probably have led to a red card from many referees in this League and that challenge on Hannah was a dead cert second yellow from pretty much every other referee in this League!

Didn't affect the result at all, of course, but as Hurst alluded to in the post-match interview, it just highlights how unfair LJL's red card was last weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
brad_gtfc
September 7, 2014, 11:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Really impressed with us 1st half, 2nd half game changed abit but we rode it out and got the 2nd goal to seal the victory.
We need to keep Nielson in this free role, essential to our good play. As somebody pointed playing him wide makes it easier for teams to double up and mark him out the game.
I thought the back 4 were excellent. Toto looks a class act, confident on the ball, quick, strong, seems to have it all. I'm not usually a fan but I thought Bignot played very well today, as did Magnay who looks a very good player.
There isn't enough superbalitives to describe Scott Brown, what a signing! Clay looks a good player aswell. Alot more energy in the middle of the park as opposed to last year.
Pittman looks another good signing, if he's fit Hannah won't get a sniff this year.

Job done, roll on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
FishOutOfWater
September 8, 2014, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
I remember this thread being called "Just Back" so as Chrisblor says above, it could be merged in with the other one and then that's one less untitled thread to worry about
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 39
Grimal
September 8, 2014, 4:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,857
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Maringer

Yep. I thought the referee just took the decision to be lenient to the smaller club and not send their defenders off because he thought we had the game won. The penalty would probably have led to a red card from many referees in this League and that challenge on Hannah was a dead cert second yellow from pretty much every other referee in this League!

Didn't affect the result at all, of course, [/b]but as Hurst alluded to in the post-match interview[b], it just highlights how unfair LJL's red card was last weekend.

But sometimes I think it's better to keep quite and not have a go at the officials to much,as I would imagine Paul did in this case, It doesn't do you any favours and a ref won't change a decision already given. Saying that,managers must be boiling up inside with inconsistant refereeing but I would imagine decisions equal themselves out over a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.