4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 6, 2014, 5:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Solid if unspectacular three points, which is fine and what we have to do against the Wellings of this world.

Two touches of class from Neilson was the difference. Fantastic cross expertly finished first time by Pittman and a great turn which put their defence on the back foot and led to the pen.

We did miss Lenny when they got on top and clearances from the back were not being won.

Scott Brown looked a very good player today and Clay broke up loads of their attacks. Hannah looked sharp when he came on and drew several rash tackles from their meaty defenders.

Think i can only remember 4 attempts on target, with two goals scored, so can't really argue with that. We weren't great but we did what we had to do. Think we need another beefy striker on the bench for days like today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
September 6, 2014, 5:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Very good 1st half, played really good football, only thing lacking was the final ball.

pitman looks a good player, though not the tallest he's got a good leap on him, often beating taller defenders.

His goal came about when Nielson whipped in a low hard cross between defenders & keeper, Pitman steamed in to bury low inside the post.

2nd half they hurried us into mistakes, we couldn't seem to get going, without really threatening us.

2nd. goal was definitely a penalty. Curious thing was their centre half was caught by the ref scuffing the penalty spot, & was booked.

Just after he went straight through one of our players, really bad foul, but the ref only told him off deciding he wasn't going to book him again.( remember Shop last week anyone?)

Overall good performance against a side that made a game of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
mariner91
September 6, 2014, 5:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
Agree about the beefy striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
Maringer
September 6, 2014, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I was disappointed that we didn't really go for the jugular after getting the second goal. Plenty of half-chances on the counter-attack were squandered but it seemed we were happy to sit back and defend, possibly with one eye on Tuesday's game.

Credit to Welling for having a go in the second half as they really offered nothing in the first and we were perhaps a little lucky they couldn't hit the target on a couple of occasions. That said, we were very lax after half-time with several players just coasting and not really getting involved so it would have been our own fault if they had drawn level.

Pittman did pretty well in the first half, but tired quickly in the second and maybe looked to have picked up half a knock? Hopefully he'll be fit for Tuesday to resume his partnership with LJL. Not sure what was going on with Arnold as he didn't really look like he was even going to run for the ball much of the time. Seemed to me that he didn't perhaps think he was fit enough to push himself.

Good to get another clean sheet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
ginnywings
September 6, 2014, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
I was disappointed that we didn't really go for the jugular after getting the second goal. Plenty of half-chances on the counter-attack were squandered but it seemed we were happy to sit back and defend, possibly with one eye on Tuesday's game.

Credit to Welling for having a go in the second half as they really offered nothing in the first and we were perhaps a little lucky they couldn't hit the target on a couple of occasions. That said, we were very lax after half-time with several players just coasting and not really getting involved so it would have been our own fault if they had drawn level.

Pittman did pretty well in the first half, but tired quickly in the second and maybe looked to have picked up half a knock? Hopefully he'll be fit for Tuesday to resume his partnership with LJL. Not sure what was going on with Arnold as he didn't really look like he was even going to run for the ball much of the time. Seemed to me that he didn't perhaps think he was fit enough to push himself.

Good to get another clean sheet.

I also thought Arnold seemed to be strolling a bit when he came on, but he still did more in 10 mins than McKreth did from the start. He looks like Colbeck lite to me at the moment.

Pittman was cramping up and should be fine for Tuesday. If he isn't, then LJL Hannah would be fine.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 39
jimgtfc
September 6, 2014, 5:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Tbh at 1-0 I could see them getting back into it and they had 2 great chances before we finally got the second goal. In seasons gone by we may have drawn that game, so it's encouraging to see that we can grind out a win like that.

Thought Toto was outstanding at the back and was maybe a shout for man of the match. Bignot did well at right back giving us an outlet going forward and did well for the penalty. Brown and clay give plenty of energy in midfield and show why a static pairing of Kerr and Disley wasn't enough last season. Pittman looked very sharp, he's a good all rounder, strong, quick can play with his back to goal and looks good playing on the last man.

A good 3 points, roll on the gimps!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
oldun
September 6, 2014, 6:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Played some excellent football on the deck in the first half without creating too many scoring chances, mainly due to Welling defending in numbers. Got a very good deserved goal just before half time. They started brightly after the break and took the game to us for 15 mins or so as we lost our grip in midfield, although they did not have much end product. The penalty put us back in control as they lost the plot and their heads after that. No one had a bad game and everyone did their jobs. Pittman looked the part with an excellent showing for an hour or so until he tightened up.  I was worried he had pulled a muscle or something but thankfully not. He is a class act up front. Brilliant substitution to put Hannah on just before we got the pen!! A game we would have struggled to win last season and all the players look confident. Toto is immense, Clay again was good especially in the first half. Macreth in patches but I don't think we gave seen the best of him yet. Nice to see Arnold on the pitch, looked a bit rusty but that is to be expected, nevertheless brought a good save from the keeper with so powerful shot from 25 yards. A good 3 points and a clean sheet, which is what it is all about. The ref lost the plot too in the second half, thankfully it did not cost us today and we did not pick up any bookings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
northbankmariner
September 6, 2014, 6:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Cheers for the match reports, pleased to see we are solid and new players all playing a full part. Positives all round.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
Garth
September 6, 2014, 6:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
We could easily have won this 4-0 but it seemed we were happy to settle for two this afternoon, they came to defend in numbers and only changed their style when trailing one nil.
I`m happy that we coasted and played to make three points safe rather than go gung ho for more goals and tire for Tuesday, its a different team this year playing with their heads and hearts rather than just hearts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
LondonMariner43
September 6, 2014, 6:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
And no bookings this week!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
pontoonlew
September 6, 2014, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,996
Gold Stars: 171
Sounded like we may have benefited more from starting with two strikers? Sounded like we looked more of a threat when Hannah came on, it came across that way, or is that not a fair reflection?

Neilson is an absolute class act as well, for whatever reason we never saw the best of him last year, probably a fitness thing but now he seems miles away our best player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
jonnyboy82
September 6, 2014, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from pontoonlew
Sounded like we may have benefited more from starting with two strikers? Sounded like we looked more of a threat when Hannah came on, it came across that way, or is that not a fair reflection?

Neilson is an absolute class act as well, for whatever reason we never saw the best of him last year, probably a fitness thing but now he seems miles away our best player.

we played well throughout but slightly looked more like scoring again when ross came on..

as for neilson I would doubt anyone could show me a better player in our league at the minute..

the lad has everything to be a major part in our play this year, absolute quality.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
RoboCod
September 6, 2014, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Sounds good, hope this all comes together for Tues night and we dismantle Lincoln.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
mariner tommy
September 6, 2014, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
A bit of a stroll in the first half with only one team likely to score. Was more relaxed when we eventually did, and what a well worked goal as well.
Second half started totally different, for the first twenty minutes it looked like they were going to score, we seem to sit back and let them dictate play.
Must admit was getting very nervous, but when the totally unselfish ball from Neilson got through to Bignot and he was brought down it relaxed everybody again. Even before we scored the penalty I never doubted that Ross would finish superb, and he did.
Made slightly hard work of beating a very poor Welling side but, we did enough and that's what counts.
My outstanding performers, well, first of all nobody had a bad game, but for me the difference was, Nielson, totally unplayable today.
and also Brown, Clay,Paddy,Magnay and Toto were all first class. But as I say, nobody was poor, it's just that these players were excellent.

And to finish off a good afternoon, I quite enjoyed the ice bucket challenge as well. Neilson even had a part to play in that as well, as he cheekily slapped John Fenty's backside after collecting his MOM award.
UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
marinerjase
September 6, 2014, 7:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Comfortable win, without really having to play well to beat them. On the whole have to bear in mind a couple players missing and it was a decent performance, probably in 3rd gear, ie more to come.

Like Magnay a lot, very good signing, versatile, and technically very good. Surprisingly so going forward. Neilson is on form but not sure todays position suits him, prefer him out wide and a free role to come inside. Scott Brown, as all say is a big improvement on what we had and is key. Clay looks very decent alongside, and again has to be mentioned on what a job Paddy does for the side. Early impressions on Makreth are that he is very lightweight, and doesn't look the same player that caused us so much bother for others. Can only improve. Defensively we look alright, Toto makes the odd error but has the pace to recover, Pearson is solid but think he hasn't started the season as well as he could. Bignot has looked alright, and of course Thomas can come back (may have to earn his place).

The striker front looks promising..LJL is having a good season and should start when available, Pittman looks a very good player for this level, Hannah showed today what he can do, and Arnold is slowly getting fit. Maybe this is an area we can improve on/look at strengthening in January or a loan beforehand.

All in all it's been a promising start in a competitive league..7/8 clubs will pull away from rest. We will have a better idea after four tough games coming up..a derby, Torquay, Kidderminster and Halifax.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
chicaneuk
September 6, 2014, 7:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
They just reeked of being a potential banana skin - a 2-0 result against them with one of our main strikers out is very reassuring. Bring on the Gimps on Tuesday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 39
Chrisblor
September 6, 2014, 7:46pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Good post (not sure why the mods haven't merged this with the other just back thread though?)

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
TAGG
September 6, 2014, 7:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Great three points but in the most not such a good game. I can't for the the life of me fathom why Hurst changed our shape just because LJL wasn't playing. Why not just put Hanner in for LJL as he did with Bignote to move Tote to CD. He changed our shape to accommodate Pearson when he came back, why tinker???
Was disappointed in Hurst turning his back on Hanners goal celibrations.
All I think had okay game except McKreth who is to lightweight and brings nothing to the side.
Still not changed my mind about Arnold, seen him play 6 times and still don't think he's a player.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
Tom13
September 6, 2014, 8:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from pontoonlew

I thought that at the game, although PH's hands were tied to an extent with Hannah and Arnold not being fit enough to last 90 minutes. Having two up front would've given Neilson more options for through balls as well, something I think has really helped the strikers has been PH moving Neilson inside to influence the game more - perhaps this is why he looks so improved from last season?

Can only echo about Neilson, not in the game as much as previous games but still enough to create the two goals - he did brilliantly to dig out the cross for the first with the ball stuck in his feet almost. As long as we don't become totally reliant on him, he'll provide the most of our attacking threat this year, meaning that Lincoln are clearly going to kick him to shreds on Tuesday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
Grimal
September 6, 2014, 8:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from chicaneuk
[/b]They just reeked of being a potential banana skin [b]- a 2-0 result against them with one of our main strikers out is very reassuring. Bring on the Gimps on Tuesday!

That's what I thought but we have 2 points more out of Welling already, than we got from both games against them last season,that can't be bad.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 39
Tom13
September 6, 2014, 8:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
I'd also say that Toto was a colossus at the back today, doubt Lincoln'll get much change out of him on Tuesday if they're still a direct, long-ball team. Classy on the ball, quick, strong as an ox and still young enough to get better, he won't be playing at this level for much longer than this year (how long's his contract here?). Just hope when he's playing in the league next year it's with us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 39
Teestogreen
September 6, 2014, 8:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
My view is that the front 3 at Gateshead (which included LJL, Pittman and Neilson) were outstanding, and with the foundations that PH has set for the rest of the team, I'm looking forward to the next few months.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 39
LH
September 6, 2014, 8:28pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Not spectacular but good enough. It's pleasing to see how comfortable on the ball our players are - especially the ones who have had a good footballing education e.g. Toto, Brown and Magnay.

On another day I think Welling could have got a goal or two but that might be me being my pessimistic self. Bit of fortune for our first goal with the ball hitting Bignot's back but a reem ball in from Scotty Essex. Was the goal Pittman's or an OG?

Our penalty looked outside the area live to me although it must be a red rather than a yellow?

Comedy back-pass all round too from everyone concerned. As soon as it was played back to McKeown you could see he was catching it. Luckily they messed up the subsequent freekick.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 39
ivanosandwich
September 6, 2014, 8:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Tom13
I'd also say that Toto was a colossus at the back today, doubt Lincoln'll get much change out of him on Tuesday if they're still a direct, long-ball team. Classy on the ball, quick, strong as an ox and still young enough to get better, he won't be playing at this level for much longer than this year (how long's his contract here?). Just hope when he's playing in the league next year it's with us!

Couldn't agree more. We all know how good Neilson is but Toto never broke into a sweat. He reads the game well, is very quick when required and so comfortable and assured on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 39
Grimal
September 6, 2014, 9:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Good to see we had no bookings today and can't remember any offsides,perhaps Pauls had a word.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 39
Stevie Saunders
September 6, 2014, 11:15pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
We look a lot stronger this season. We would have struggled to win this type of match last season so it's very pleasing to win 2-0 with a professional and tidy performance; it's not going to be fantasy football like Alfreton every week so it's crucial we find a way to win against teams who have a tighter defence.
Next 4 games will be a real test - three of whom will probably be top six (don't mean Gimps either) - but we have nothing to fear

Love how Hurst has found a way to free Neillson up to drift inside and pick the ball up in dangerous areas where he can run directly down the middle at defences.

Mackreth - jury out; he looks a touch lightweight but will hopefully settle down. He may prove to be an imapct player coming off the bench running at tired defences.
Pittman, Clay, Brown are excellent signings

Final word to Magnay - a class act who offers so much in both defence and attack... think Gary Mills got that one badly wrong letting him go

UTM!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 39
RichMariner
September 6, 2014, 11:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Just a point on Neilson - he's started this season like a train! I just hope he can keep this standard up for as long as possible.

He's had purple patches for us before, but opposing teams gradually work out that they can nullify us if they double up on Neilson. And when Neilson doesn't perform, or play, the whole team usually struggles.

By giving Neilson the licence to roam around and drift inside, it could make him a difficult man to mark.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 39
CairnsMariner
September 7, 2014, 12:00am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
Great result from a game that didn't sound so hot (on the radio), in fact i gave in on the hour mark and went to bed. Like results like this though, in years gone by we have struggled to grind out these kind of results.

Good to wake up on Fathers Day with 3 more points.

UTM

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 39
Maringer
September 7, 2014, 12:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
My only concern about Neilson is that when things aren't going particularly well for him, he tends to try and over-elaborate instead of just keeping it simple. Often leads to him losing possession instead of just playing the simple ball. Other than that, I hope he keeps on going as he looks to be a real threat at the moment!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 39
Mariner Ronnie
September 7, 2014, 1:27am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
How many times at today's game did you think; "god we are good"?

UTM

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 39
September 7, 2014, 12:00pm
Guest User
Good "Professional" performance.

In hindsight a good move by Hurst to play Neilson as extra creative support, often dropping deep to link up in midfield.
That said Hannah looked keen as mustard and full of energy when he came on.

Pittman had another quality hardworking game looking tired when he came off, probably not enough reason to feature again at Lincoln but the issue will no doubt remain as the season progresses just as long as he keeps playing.

Generally an unspectacular game with some good stuff being played before the goal came at the perfect time before H/T.

Bit disappointed with the lack of movement 2nd half and "dropping deep" in general although with a game on Tuesday, you can understand them taking their foot off the gas a bit. (especially 2 up not sure about 1 though !)

Brown, Neilson and Magnay probably the standouts.
Arnold showed good glimpses when he came on and thought Bignot got forward well.
Some Town players (especially Paddy) need to "get goalside" before they tackle.

Job done, roll on Lincoln...
Reply: 30 - 39
oldun
September 7, 2014, 12:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
How many times at today's game did you think; "god we are good"?

UTM

At times we were, especially in the first half. If an opposition came and played like that we would be singing their praises, lets sing our own praises today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
September 7, 2014, 12:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from pontoonlew

Tricky one, was wondering this myself.

I don't think it's necessarily about "formations".
Hannah came on as sub full of energy.
Who knows how well he would have linked up.
But arguably Neilson did and look at the FACTS, Neilson assist for Pittman...
Who knows about Tuesday but think you've got to give Hurst credit yesterday (looked a risk KO) tbh.

Reply: 32 - 39
Maringer
September 7, 2014, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
We played some decent football in the first half yesterday but, when you think about it, it was disappointing that we created so few opportunities from this good possession. I know that Welling were working hard in defence and sitting relatively deep, but you'd still hope to see a couple more good chances.

Once they began to have more of a go in attack in the second half, we had a lot more counter-attacking opportunities and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed that we didn't do better from some of those.

No real complaints, however, as a victory and a clean sheet will do every day of the week. We'll need to be more clinical in our forthcoming games against some of the better teams in the division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Garth
September 7, 2014, 12:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Maringer
We played some decent football in the first half yesterday but, when you think about it, it was disappointing that we created so few opportunities from this good possession. I know that Welling were working hard in defence and sitting relatively deep, but you'd still hope to see a couple more good chances.

Once they began to have more of a go in attack in the second half, we had a lot more counter-attacking opportunities and, to be honest, I was a little disappointed that we didn't do better from some of those.

No real complaints, however, as a victory and a clean sheet will do every day of the week. We'll need to be more clinical in our forthcoming games against some of the better teams in the division.

Thought they were lucky to finish with eleven on the field, and we did miss LJL impact up front
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
September 7, 2014, 12:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
We played some decent football in the first half yesterday but, when you think about it, it was disappointing that we created so few opportunities from this good possession. I know that Welling were working hard in defence and sitting relatively deep

Well yeah was just about to say....

Quoted from Maringer
but you'd still hope to see a couple more good chances.

Well yeah you can always hope for more, probably partly due to the 6-1 & 7-0 !
Must admit I wondered if it was worth an £18 entrance fee at times.
BUT when Alfreton was worth every penny x 10 you really can't complain !
End of the day it isn't always easy, Hurst had a job to do, Lincoln to think of and most importantly, we'd have ALL taken a 1-0 before kick off.
Reply: 35 - 39
Maringer
September 7, 2014, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Garth

Thought they were lucky to finish with eleven on the field, and we did miss LJL impact up front

Yep. I thought the referee just took the decision to be lenient to the smaller club and not send their defenders off because he thought we had the game won. The penalty would probably have led to a red card from many referees in this League and that challenge on Hannah was a dead cert second yellow from pretty much every other referee in this League!

Didn't affect the result at all, of course, but as Hurst alluded to in the post-match interview, it just highlights how unfair LJL's red card was last weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
brad_gtfc
September 7, 2014, 11:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Really impressed with us 1st half, 2nd half game changed abit but we rode it out and got the 2nd goal to seal the victory.
We need to keep Nielson in this free role, essential to our good play. As somebody pointed playing him wide makes it easier for teams to double up and mark him out the game.
I thought the back 4 were excellent. Toto looks a class act, confident on the ball, quick, strong, seems to have it all. I'm not usually a fan but I thought Bignot played very well today, as did Magnay who looks a very good player.
There isn't enough superbalitives to describe Scott Brown, what a signing! Clay looks a good player aswell. Alot more energy in the middle of the park as opposed to last year.
Pittman looks another good signing, if he's fit Hannah won't get a sniff this year.

Job done, roll on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
FishOutOfWater
September 8, 2014, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
I remember this thread being called "Just Back" so as Chrisblor says above, it could be merged in with the other one and then that's one less untitled thread to worry about
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 39
Grimal
September 8, 2014, 4:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Yep. I thought the referee just took the decision to be lenient to the smaller club and not send their defenders off because he thought we had the game won. The penalty would probably have led to a red card from many referees in this League and that challenge on Hannah was a dead cert second yellow from pretty much every other referee in this League!

Didn't affect the result at all, of course, [/b]but as Hurst alluded to in the post-match interview[b], it just highlights how unfair LJL's red card was last weekend.

But sometimes I think it's better to keep quite and not have a go at the officials to much,as I would imagine Paul did in this case, It doesn't do you any favours and a ref won't change a decision already given. Saying that,managers must be boiling up inside with inconsistant refereeing but I would imagine decisions equal themselves out over a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.