Abdul19
December 21, 2012, 3:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,633
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Alfie
Paul Buckle officially confirms interest.

Stay classy, Luton.

Have we not officially confirmed interest? If he's been transfer listed by Crawley, I don't see the problem with this.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
December 21, 2012, 3:26pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19

Have we not officially confirmed interest? If he's been transfer listed by Crawley, I don't see the problem with this.

Hopefully we're not talking, we're doing. But I'd have thought Luton would be favourites to sign him now due to location and they are perhaps the only BSP that can outwedge us unless we really push the boat out.
Reply: 41 - 61
Codswede
December 21, 2012, 3:29pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Did this Alan Neilson play for us in the Championship on loan from Fulham I think...? Or was it spelled Allan Neilson?

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Alfie
December 21, 2012, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Abdul19

He's technically registered as our player until tomorrow though. Has a big game for us tonight and Buckle is talking about him in a press conference today.

You can bet your bottom dollar that these two wouldn't be talking about any of Luton's loan players, or any other club's players for that matter, in the press on the day of a big game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
AdamHaddock
December 21, 2012, 3:32pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
Maybe if someone takes Artus off our hands in January we can offer Neilson a cracking deal, beyond what Luton could afford. If we can get rid of Elding and use his wages to beat Luton to Jolley that would be hilarious

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
davmariner
December 21, 2012, 3:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Well that's settled then, I'd be very surprised if he didn't go to luton. Big club, close to home, challenging for the play-offs.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
December 21, 2012, 4:01pm
Guest User
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I think that Marshall is equal if not better than Neilson, Marshalls direct running is similar to Neilsons just that Neilson has the whit of drifting inside and committing players but loses the ball quite alot.

I disagree.

Marshall doesn't mind running at players but he lacks a final ball and can't finish. Neilson is ten times the player of Marshall IMO. Neilson always looks like he has time on the ball - the sign of a good player. Would be a real blow if we miss out on him but he has a downside too. From the outside looking in, purely from watching him he tried to do too much at times, doesn't release players when he can and what happened when he kicked out and got send off concerns me. But he could well be the best player in the BSP if he chooses to drop down to us or Luton as I don't see any other BSP club having the clout do get him to drop out of the league.
Reply: 46 - 61
RoboCod
December 21, 2012, 4:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
If he goes to Luton he'll be under a different manager in a month. Big club, big expectations.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
Codswede
December 21, 2012, 4:12pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
IMO, Marshall fits into this team much better than Neilson. It's clear we have no showboaters, no cocky/champagne players, and I can't help but think Neilson has this side to his game, his red card showing this more than anything. Marshall may lose the ball more than Neilson, but there is a very fine difference between their end product, and Marshall is a much better outlet, though Neilson plays accross the whole width of the pitch and creates by himself. I just feel that the current team feeling at GTFC (especially since Elds has left) is better than we've seen in years. A small squad and no one on the fringe who I'd be unhappy with replacing an injured player. May be wrong about SN, but I think people are being harsh on Marshall given that he wins free kicks in dangerous areas (Hatton... enough said), can beat a man, plays excellent crosses (to excellent headerers), and has chipped in with an excellent goal at Ebbsfleet. I wouldn't be too disheartened were SN not to re-sign, Dayle Southwell can be dangerous off the bench and I think we do have real options in all areas. Let's beat Wrexham and the Gimps and have a Merry Xmas

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
Alfie
December 21, 2012, 4:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Codswede
IMO, Marshall fits into this team much better than Neilson. It's clear we have no showboaters, no cocky/champagne players, and I can't help but think Neilson has this side to his game, his red card showing this more than anything. Marshall may lose the ball more than Neilson, but there is a very fine difference between their end product, and Marshall is a much better outlet, though Neilson plays accross the whole width of the pitch and creates by himself. I just feel that the current team feeling at GTFC (especially since Elds has left) is better than we've seen in years. A small squad and no one on the fringe who I'd be unhappy with replacing an injured player. May be wrong about SN, but I think people are being harsh on Marshall given that he wins free kicks in dangerous areas (Hatton... enough said), can beat a man, plays excellent crosses (to excellent headerers), and has chipped in with an excellent goal at Ebbsfleet. I wouldn't be too disheartened were SN not to re-sign, Dayle Southwell can be dangerous off the bench and I think we do have real options in all areas. Let's beat Wrexham and the Gimps and have a Merry Xmas

They're not in the same league.

There's no glossing over it. Neilson is our most technically gifted player. He's not far off Alan Connell-levels of ability imo albeit much more of a rough diamond. If he does go, as I think he will, it'll be a huge blow. There's no glossing over it but I have faith that these two will find someone who will be able to come in and do a decent enough job.

While very talented, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up being pretty ineffective - like so many before him - and fizzles out after being shunted into a bit-part player at Luton. History shows he's at his best when playing week in, week out as a starman (Cambridge, here and the League Two season at Crawley).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott Neilson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.