Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Answers from Mariners Trust about board matters
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 77 Guests

Answers from Mariners Trust about board matters

This thread currently has 3,829 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
GodHelpUs
November 13, 2012, 6:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from BlackBoots

Not sure were the £50k you state has come from? Someone posted last week about a new director having to match the average of the other directors loans/share holding. I make that something like £800K+!!!!! (makes it look like the Trust, representing the fans, have got a good deal! )

Surely once on the board the person can be voted out by the shareholders at the agm, not the other directors??

Well when you consider that only one member of the current Board has met those requirements it just goes to show that the Articles of Association were totally unrealistic and prevented interest from potential backers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
GodHelpUs
November 13, 2012, 6:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Approval: -1
Quoted from BlackandWhiteBarmy

The question was why were the shares given to Mr. Fenty? They could have just as easily been transferred to the club. How influential will a place on the board be?

Quite simple...power!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
headingly_mariner
November 13, 2012, 6:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
it's a nonsense, giving the club as it is 30 grand a year to spend is a disgrace. the club is bolloxed and the trust want to give the money they have raised to the people who have copulated it.

Save for when the club goes to the wall, if we don't get promoted soon we will be in the shite, surely it is better to be prepared for it than trying to stick a plaster on a broken leg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
STB
November 13, 2012, 6:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from headingly_mariner
it's a nonsense, giving the club as it is 30 grand a year to spend is a disgrace. the club is bolloxed and the trust want to give the money they have raised to the people who have copulated it.

Save for when the club goes to the wall, if we don't get promoted soon we will be in the shite, surely it is better to be prepared for it than trying to stick a plaster on a broken leg.

Wise words Heado.  

Whether the club is losing 500K or 470K a year, eventually it will cease trading.

As Oxford have proven, the cost of keeping a 'big' club in L2 is higher than in the BSBP.

A 100K annual shortfall is what we need to aim for with the occasional sale of young players to make up the difference.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
80sglory
November 13, 2012, 6:38pm
Guest User
Appreciate your points headingly but what's the answer ?

Cut out cloth right now and send back Pond, Neilson, Hannah and Marshall ?
Is that really what you'd do ?!

Ok trust business is not to everyones liking (nor mine tbh) but all this idealistic talk will be academic if the club are in the mire later down the road or flag at the last moment because of "lack of funds".

Ok it's not "our fault" and not overly impressed with the trusts marketing skills(even though they're trying their best), but from my point of view all we can do it throw our weight behind it and give it every chance.

I personally think we should be looking a LOT bigger and without knocking anyone's efforts think 750 is a pretty pathetic target.
I understand most people are skint (and so am I !) but 3000 supporters x £100 = part self sufficiency do your own maths !
Best way to think about it might be to think say 25 home games x £4.

Ok we pay our money through the turnstiles but championship winning teams don't come cheap.
Reply: 34 - 38
80sglory
November 13, 2012, 7:00pm
Guest User
Quoted from STB
As Oxford have proven, the cost of keeping a 'big' club in L2 is higher than in the BSBP.

But surely this boils down to the desire to be "competitive" ?

If we go up we don't HAVE to spend a fortune chasing League 1 straight off ?

I honestly think if we went up there'd be enough passion and "know how" in the building and on the terraces to get us near back to break even and keep us in League 2 for the first year.

That said who knows what could happen on the pitch - we might get a cup run, sell another top player etc.

Competitive budgets obviously help success but they're not the only way to stimulate interest or gain revenue at the club.

Reply: 35 - 38
headingly_mariner
November 13, 2012, 7:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Appreciate your points headingly but what's the answer ?

Cut out cloth right now and send back Pond, Neilson, Hannah and Marshall ?
Is that really what you'd do ?!

Ok trust business is not to everyones liking (nor mine tbh) but all this idealistic talk will be academic if the club are in the mire later down the road or flag at the last moment because of "lack of funds".

Ok it's not "our fault" and not overly impressed with the trusts marketing skills(even though they're trying their best), but from my point of view all we can do it throw our weight behind it and give it every chance.

I personally think we should be looking a LOT bigger and without knocking anyone's efforts think 750 is a pretty pathetic target.
I understand most people are skint (and so am I !) but 3000 supporters x £100 = part self sufficiency do your own maths !
Best way to think about it might be to think say 25 home games x £4.

Ok we pay our money through the turnstiles but championship winning teams don't come cheap.

The club is run on the loans of one man, the trust being on the board will not make a blind bit of difference, his word will still be king. If Fenty stops loaning the club money it will go mammaries up and have to start again whether the trust put 30 grand a year in or not.

The trust should focus it's fundraising efforts on money for the future, this will not be easy and probably not a lot of money will be saved but the trust support will grow significantly as the club's position becomes more perilous. We may well be in a position where we have to create a phoenix club and the trust should be at the forefront of this, having a big wedge of cash will certainly help.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
80sglory
November 13, 2012, 7:06pm
Guest User
I appreciate your points headingly I certainly do but hope you see mine too.
Reply: 37 - 38
headingly_mariner
November 13, 2012, 7:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1600
I appreciate your points headingly I certainly do but hope you see mine too.

i do and i see were you are coming from about cutting our cloth. At the moment we are not living within our means and i feel we should be, i do not make the budgeting decisions at the club and neither do the trust. the club has suffered mismanagement and continues to do so, if fenty wants to bank roll an expensive team he should do so without saddling the club with debt, they are his decisions and he should pay for them. as for the players if we cannot afford them and Fenty is not willing to pay for them without saddling the club with debt then we shouldn't have them.

This season does have the feeling of a last throw of the dice, if we fail this season then what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Answers from Mariners Trust about board matters

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.