3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
November 7, 2012, 9:16am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I dont disagree with you pete but players at our level are there for a reason, and one of those is inconsistentcy.

If Town players could perform at the top of their game all the time they would be at a higher level.

Management has certainly changed since I played. Players dont respond to the old threatening methods.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
forza ivano
November 7, 2012, 9:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,302
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from BIGChris
I dont disagree with you pete but players at our level are there for a reason, and one of those is inconsistentcy.

If Town players could perform at the top of their game all the time they would be at a higher level.

Management has certainly changed since I played. Players dont respond to the old threatening methods.

trouble is Chris that losing games like that are the reason why we won't end up as champions - have a look at the records of stevenage, crawley, fleetwood etc - they generally only had 1 , possibly, 2 'shock results' all season and ground out draws from losing positions, late wins from stalemates. we don't do that as often as we need to i'm afraid.

this attitude thing has to be addressed urgently because we're hearing the same refrain a little too often

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
80sglory
November 7, 2012, 4:28pm
Guest User
This is the interview (or most of it) I heard on RH last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20134336

Not same as the one on MP and definitely worth a listen.
Reply: 22 - 29
gymadman
November 7, 2012, 5:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
These player are conference level for a reason, they lack Constancy if they had that we would be 10 points clear, thought Scott's interview was spot on, honest, to the point and not a rant, we slated Woods for lack of passion we slate Scott for saying it as it is, anyone there last night would agree with his statement UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
80sglory
November 7, 2012, 6:02pm
Guest User
Having just watched the highlights think Scott's clutching at straws a bit with the "Dis dribbled the ball out of defence" thing.
I didn't see in the buildup anyway !?

Maybe wrong but agree with others, guess some of it is probably down to frustration.
tbh I'd be suprised and disappointed if we didn't expect teams like Hyde to come at us like a bull in a chinashop, especially on their own patch - think we should have expected it...
Whether we're tight at the back or not wondering whether the answer is to control games(easier said than done) instead of sitting back (though it seems to have worked ok before)
Hyde looked a decent side going forward with their passing and just wonder if we've got to work our socks off to get a grip of possession in these games early doors.

Thankfully we looked decent enough ourselves going forward.  
Shame Cook didn't square it to Hannah in acres of space to tap in and would have also liked to have seen Hannah waving his arms around BEFORE not after.

But can't knock Hannah though, what a superb goal with his wrong foot !!!  
Reply: 24 - 29
headingly_mariner
November 7, 2012, 7:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from BIGChris

This is a brilliant point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
TownSNAFU5
November 7, 2012, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
I still put the main responsibility down to the managers. Regarding the issue of "players being inconsistent":   Crawley, Fleetwood, Stevenage and Burton etc players were also playing at this level when they got promoted.  They were consistent.

Our managers are not being effective enough and/or the players just switch off.   It happens more with teams at the bottom of the league or smaller teams (Dartford).   We maybe have a superior attitude and these teams raise their game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
petethemariner
November 7, 2012, 11:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I still put the main responsibility down to the managers. Regarding the issue of "players being inconsistent":   Crawley, Fleetwood, Stevenage and Burton etc players were also playing at this level when they got promoted.  They were consistent.

Our managers are not being effective enough and/or the players just switch off.   It happens more with teams at the bottom of the league or smaller teams (Dartford).   We maybe have a superior attitude and these teams raise their game.

Good post, spot on  IMO

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
80sglory
November 7, 2012, 11:26pm
Guest User
Well it would be a bit suprising if the champions weren't but that's what we're striving for.
Reply: 28 - 29
Marinerz93
November 8, 2012, 11:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from brad_gtfc

True, I've no idea what level you played at, but say local league, you know if your playing in a good side and playing a not so strong team sometimes its hard to get yourself up for a game, and many others around you. Due to the nature of the opposition, you sometimes get a big wake up call the 1st 30 minutes and go on to win the game. Last night, we got that and in that time conceded twice due to errors.
I sometimes think there is only so much managers can do regards players mentality. Each to there own though.

In teams I've played and managed you approach games in a set manner, the tougher the opposition the more the game is like cat and mouse.  Against weak opposition we went from the off and got stuck into them.  They'll give you a good fight but sooner or later they will run out of (a) steam or (b) idea's.  The league position doesn't lie and to win more than you lose you have to be ruthless not toothless.  It's the managers and captain to fire the players up and until I see that from the off we are missing a midfield general who can do that.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Scott on RH

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.