Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town in Profit!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 99 Guests

Town in Profit!

This thread currently has 4,163 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 8:33pm
Guest User
My point was megs you talked about companies "NOT registering profit" but then used that apparent fact to question whether profit(which you claimed wasn't being made or registered) was a good thing.
Is profit the real problem here or just the fact they're not paying any tax on it ?
anyway think we're going off on a tangent here, I'm calling it a day on this thread.
Reply: 50 - 63
rancido
November 2, 2012, 8:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from megs
Cod not sure on the johnstone paint profit in 08 as  unsure of towns year in but can see where your going with it, more point was that football is a mugs game and very rarely do you make profit, those that do are the top end EPL teams as per what 80s mentioned.

I sure as hell would like to see town in L1 at least and yes a successful team should mean a greater chance of profit.

I think making a profit is good but is making a profit always good look at the various multi-nationals in the media recently that have not paid tax because of not registering profit. I would argue that making profit at this moment in time will help league rules he they continue to get tougher in if salaries are related to profit etc

The main bonus would be it would give the club greater good will from the bank if thy are running overdrafts or wishing to do borrowing for developments etc. making a loss year on year would likely mean no one going development finance for a ground, unless other personal guarantees are undertaken, such a securing charges against other assests.

But they avoid paying tax because they pay huge administration costs to a parent company based in another country. The admin cost is paid like any expense pre-profit and as such the company shows little if any profit for taxation purposes.If the tax levels in the parent companys country is lower than ours then it is more profitable for them to have this arrangement. All perfectly legal but very annoying and frustrating for HMR&C.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
megs
November 2, 2012, 8:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
No worries fella, came on here to see how many going to Tamworth and end up in tax debate, get enough of that through work. Profit is good at the end of the day tax is just a fact of life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
biggles9999
November 2, 2012, 8:40pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from DubaiMariner

Err, how do we have a loss in profits?! Makes no sense; do you mean a reduction in our losses? Even so, what a way to run a business!    

I didnt say it was the way to run a business, I suggested it was a step in the right direction. For a club to reduce its lost by roughly 400k in a season at our level is fairly good going and at least shows some improvement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
megs
November 2, 2012, 8:51pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Quoted from megs
Cod not sure on the johnstone paint profit in 08 as  unsure of towns year in but can see where your going with it, more point was that football is a mugs game and very rarely do you make profit, those that do are the top end EPL teams as per what 80s mentioned.

I sure as hell would like to see town in L1 at least and yes a successful team should mean a greater chance of profit.

I think making a profit is good but is making a profit always good look at the various multi-nationals in the media recently that have not paid tax because of not registering profit. I would argue that making profit at this moment in time will help league rules he they continue to get tougher in if salaries are related to profit etc

The main bonus would be it would give the club greater good will from the bank if thy are running overdrafts or wishing to do borrowing for developments etc. making a loss year on year would likely mean no one going development finance for a ground, unless other personal guarantees are undertaken, such a securing charges against other assests.

But they avoid paying tax because they pay huge administration costs to a parent company based in another country. The admin cost is paid like any expense pre-profit and as such the company shows little if any profit for taxation purposes.If the tax levels in the parent companys country is lower than ours then it is more profitable for them to have this arrangement. All perfectly legal but very annoying and frustrating for HMR&C.

Didnt say it was illegal that's why they do it a bit like how sole traders can set themselves up as limited companies and reduce their NI contributions and tax liability by paying themselves a basic salary and dividend that is charged at corporation tax levels which is overall less than personal tax liability.

Trying to get back to the point on profit and loss on football agree that profit is a good thing especially in current economic climate and lending to business is only going to get tougher or trying to sell a business is going to get tougher having a profit would help for these reasons alone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2012, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete

Sorry mate but S+ H offered I'Anson a new contract,

He  decided he would be better off in Spain.

He had the potential to be another Bennett and we offered him a DERISORY contract.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 63
BIGChris
November 3, 2012, 10:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He had the potential to be another Bennett and we offered him a DERISORY contract.

BUT the mirrored contract that Thanoj signed immediately?

Realising potential needs a lot of things on top of ability
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
grimsby pete
November 3, 2012, 10:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How do you know what was in his contract ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2012, 10:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

BUT the mirrored contract that Thanoj signed immediately?

Realising potential needs a lot of things on top of ability

Accept that Chris, but in my opinion I'Anson always looked more the finished article and seemingly had other options. Seem to recall that he played a large percentage of the long unbeaten run??
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
MuddyWaters
November 3, 2012, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

How do you know what was in his contract ?

I know that there's two sides to every story Pete and that he seemed to want to go back to Spain but I heard from a friend of his that it was, in real terms, less than he was already on.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town in Profit!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.