Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town in Profit!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

Town in Profit!

This thread currently has 4,162 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 7:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from megs
The point making on promotion is that we have made losses for years why would getting back to league 2 help us maintain profit year on year?

Playing at a higher level players will demand higher salaries
Players needed to play at a higher level may cost more to purchase
Are traveling commitments less in L2
Are we likely to get more home support, not on recent seasons

Well forget any Bennett sales we wouldn't be in profit no, but we'd be very close to it.
Bascially if you're in the Football league you've got more income - it's not rocket science...

As I said whether we would decide to push for another promotion in League 2 is entirely up to us.
Now obviously there's a risk gates may drop etc if we don't but then again we've got a loyal hardcore so hopefully we'd still be better off.

Like I said, paying more in wages isn't ALWAYS the only option EVERY single year.

As for this year it's probably the right thing to push the boat out IMO cos think it's obvious to everyone how important it is to get out of this hellhole league that's doing us no favours.

Quoted from megs
So that's my point......it's not as if clubs in L2 are all mega rich there all struggling right up to championship level

Course they're not and even some of the bigger clubs like Ipswich are in trouble.
Why ?
Cos it's partly down to the new "sink or swim" structure of the game where prizemoney increases almost exponentially the higher you go.
So everyone's either chasing the pot of gold or more likely (for those L2 clubs let alone us !), just trying to stay afloat by keeping in the FL they're in.
If you really want to blame anyone then blame the FA or the Premier League's big money men.
I guess they don't give a flying toss about the ramifications of the effect of the huge differences in league prizemoney or about smaller clubs like us.
Seems to me like they'd rather try to persuade fans to switch clubs than dipping their hand in their own pockets to make things better.
Reply: 40 - 63
cod.gtfc
November 2, 2012, 7:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from megs
The point making on promotion is that we have made losses for years why would getting back to league 2 help us maintain profit year on year?

We made a profit in 2008 and 2006 both league 2 years, obviously 2008 was due to a cup run and 2006 a larger profit was due to being successful in lge 2.

So we can make a profit in league 2 providing we are successful in it, getting to league 2 and being mid-table or worse is not going to do us any good at all accounts wise, so I don't agree a consolidation season would be a good thing, far better to be at the right end of the league with big gates and other income that comes from that.

As for the cup run 80's alludes too, we havn't made the third round of the FA cup since we were automatically in the third round I refuse to believe our club budgets for it every year, despite their statements, as for the fans  they just want to see us win and potentially get Wembley/Man utd away!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
megs
November 2, 2012, 8:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Cod not sure on the johnstone paint profit in 08 as  unsure of towns year in but can see where your going with it, more point was that football is a mugs game and very rarely do you make profit, those that do are the top end EPL teams as per what 80s mentioned.

I sure as hell would like to see town in L1 at least and yes a successful team should mean a greater chance of profit.

I think making a profit is good but is making a profit always good look at the various multi-nationals in the media recently that have not paid tax because of not registering profit.

I would argue that making profit at this moment in time will help league rules he they continue to get tougher in if salaries are related to profit etc

The main bonus would be it would give the club greater good will from the bank if thy are running overdrafts or wishing to do borrowing for developments etc. making a loss year on year would likely mean no one going development finance for a ground, unless other personal guarantees are undertaken, such a securing charges against other assests.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
megs
November 2, 2012, 8:04pm
Beer Drinker
Sorry above should by towns year end (not year in)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 8:08pm
Guest User
Quoted from cod.gtfc
getting to league 2 and being mid-table or worse is not going to do us any good at all accounts wise

Well put it this way, it's arguably a lot better than being mid table in the BSP.

My point is it's not like you can always just snap your fingers or choose whatever you like.
Whether you choose to cut expenditure or increase it there's always risks attached either way.

If we choose to just to increase the debt EVERY single year regardless then yes, it could ultimately see us better off as we fly up the leagues, but there's no guarantees.
Think it would be risky or innapropriate (especially in terms of helping to bringing on younger players development etc) to say we'd never be willing to cut our cloth (IMO)

Anyway perhaps we should focus on getting out of this league first eh ?
Reply: 44 - 63
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 8:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from megs
I think making a profit is good but is making a profit always good look at the various multi-nationals in the media recently that have not paid tax because of not registering profit.

Reply: 45 - 63
MuddyWaters
November 2, 2012, 8:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Totally agree with this.

We had a potential 'Bennett' in I'Anson who S&H decided to eff off.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
80sglory
November 2, 2012, 8:19pm
Guest User
Well tbf they did offer him a contract and wasn't I'anson the one who effed off ?
See your point though...
Reply: 47 - 63
megs
November 2, 2012, 8:24pm
Beer Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
grimsby pete
November 2, 2012, 8:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We had a potential 'Bennett' in I'Anson who S&H decided to eff off.

Sorry mate but S+ H offered I'Anson a new contract,

He  decided he would be better off in Spain.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Town in Profit!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.