bradzmilne
October 29, 2012, 9:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from barralad

McKeown has got nowhere near the ball on the three occasions he has come up. There is absolutely no evidence to support this assertion other than Glass scoring for Carlisle. The Dartford game had two minutes to go. There is no telling what might have happened. Instead we played out those last minutes two down.
Saturday could have been the same.

From where i was sat vs. kiddi it looked like he was inches away from turning it in?
More likely to score than elding anyhow  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Abdul19
October 29, 2012, 10:38am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from bradzmilne

From where i was sat vs. kiddi it looked like he was inches away from turning it in?
More likely to score than elding anyhow  

That's what I thought. Brad Friedel, Paul Robinson, Peter Schmeichel and some bloke for Standard Liege in the Champions League are other keepers who've done it off the top of my head.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
Gary Haddock
October 29, 2012, 11:47am

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Wouldn't be moaning if he scored though A?  

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
cocky
October 29, 2012, 12:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Quoted from Gary Haddock
Wouldn't be moaning if he scored though A?  

But would be moaning if we'd conceeded another and missed out on the play offs by a goal, or if he'd slightly mistimed his challenge and got sent off.

Ridiculous decision in my view.  It's OK in a cup game when losing by another goal makes no difference, or the last game of the season, but in a game in the middle of the season it seems foolish to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
biggles9999
October 29, 2012, 12:21pm
Main Stander
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Surely though keepers are usually tall guys and have a strong spring behind them. This means that you have another player coming forward, that nobody has been delegated to mark.

As such there is a possibility they end up being marked by a weak 'aerial' player. Plus it also causes some confusion in the opposition box as the defenders sort out who is marking who.

I'd argue that theres a fairly high % of keepers scoring, compared to how often they actually go up there. Jimmy Glass's goal is only so famous based on the fact that it kept a team in the league.

As for sending both centre backs up, the opposition usually leave their fastest player up around half way, meaning that you dont necessarily need your generally taller centre backs to deal with them. As with most teams, the centre backs are up there with the strongest players and best at heading so why not send them up for the threat.

There are not many teams I can think of were only one of the centre backs goes forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Gary Haddock
October 29, 2012, 12:35pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from cocky

But would be moaning if we'd conceeded another and missed out on the play offs by a goal, or if he'd slightly mistimed his challenge and got sent off.

Ridiculous decision in my view.  It's OK in a cup game when losing by another goal makes no difference, or the last game of the season, but in a game in the middle of the season it seems foolish to me.

Works both ways, what if he'd scored that goal that helped us win the league? Like I said, works both ways. Can't just look at it one way and say "bad decision" as it would of proven a good decision if he had scored. So no point moaning.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
scrumble
October 29, 2012, 12:45pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
I'd say that the percentage is negligible. If a keeper scores it usually gets highlighted in the papers, ignoring goals scored by a keepers clearance from his own half, when was the last time you heard of it? Robinson scored for Spurs five years or so back, but thats the most recent I remember. Even if it happens in the lower leagues it usually makes into the papers or the youtube vid passed around on facebook.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 43
Abdul19
October 29, 2012, 1:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from cocky

But would be moaning if we'd conceeded another and missed out on the play offs by a goal...

So if we're 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go, we should sit on it, because if we conceded another it could be the goal that cost us promotion?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
aaron rattray
October 29, 2012, 1:25pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I am fully behind goalkeepers going forward for corners, it is an extra man and hes tall he it might contribute to the score

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
cocky
October 29, 2012, 1:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Quoted from Abdul19

So if we're 2-0 down with 5 minutes to go, we should sit on it, because if we conceded another it could be the goal that cost us promotion?

Yes, I'd assume that more goals are scored against when a keeper goes up, than goals scored for.  Otherwise, why wait for the final 5 minutes, why not send the keeper up for all corners?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kamikaze Tactics

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.