3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
bax
August 24, 2012, 9:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
The Fishy, Cod Almighty & myself have joined forces with anti-racism campaigners Kick It Out to ask the club to take part in initiatives to help kick racism out of football. We've written a joint letter to the club asking for them to consider wearing Kick It Out t-shirts before Monday's game and to take the lead on educational schemes in the community.  The letter can be found here:

http://toogoodtogodown.wordpre.....acism-from-football/

Any support would be appreciated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Super Clive
August 24, 2012, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Seems a good idea to me, the club should already know this.

Just out of interest why have the kick racism out signs at bp covered up the other day?
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
psgmariner
August 24, 2012, 10:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Super Clive

Just out of interest why have the kick racism out signs at bp covered up the other day?

They were deemed offensive to racists.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
Super Clive
August 24, 2012, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from psgmariner

They were deemed offensive to racists.

Seriously though the one between the upper and osmond was covered up the other day! Well the racism part was so it was kick out......black patch.

Which I found awfully odd considering the ongoing court case.

Probably just needed a new one? I don't know but it seem odd.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
aldi_01
August 24, 2012, 12:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst the kick it out campaign is a great idea and should be prominent on the football agenda in any country and league, not just here i do think this has all gone a little bit crazy at town.

The simple fact is, GTFC and every other club has to admit that there will always be some supporters both in and out of the ground that will hold racist views. I'm not saying the club shouldn't try and stamp it out but there also has to be an element of realism that unfortunately we still live in a world where people hold these crazy views and they may come to the top occasionally. I do agree that the club haven't exactly dealt with the current situation very well but reading between the lines etc, I don't think all parties involved have really helped at times. The fact is, the club should have done what they could have done by the book, let the law take its course and then support the decisions made. If a restorative approach was decided in court then follow that route, if a ban, fine etc was issued then follow that. Instead it has turned into a mess.

I'm all for people wanting to get the club and supporters alike to get motivated to get rid of this nonsense from our club and football but it does sometimes feel like some have taken it as an almost personal attack on them and that we are all being deemed racists...we aren't, simple as that.

Kick it out is and has worked in this country but actually the issue of racism is small time in football in comparison to the rest of the country. The programme on recently was an easy watch because it only told us what we already know, showed us what we've all seen before and failed at having a hidden agenda on bringing the beautiful game down...they should have gone to Spain, Russia etc where they even racially abuse their own players much worse than a simple offensive word then may be it would have shocked more people.

And the reason John Barnes isn't in a job is nothing to do with skin colour, culture, religion etc...it's because he's a flipping awful manager.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
Gary Haddock
August 24, 2012, 12:19pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
I don't even think racisym is that big of a problem. Before people take that the wrong way. I mean I don't think it's common. Fair enough it has been in the last year, but only because it started with players in top flight and then spread to the teraces. Stop giving these idiots (the racist) publicity and then they'll stop, simply because they wouldn't be getting a response. But for as long as they get publicity it will encourage other idiots out too. I hadn't heard of any cases involving racisym until, Saurez, Ferdinand, Terry, then after that it spread.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
STB
August 24, 2012, 4:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from aldi_01

And the reason John Barnes isn't in a job is nothing to do with skin colour, culture, religion etc...it's because he's a flipping awful manager.

And a millionaire property developer.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
gtfc98
August 24, 2012, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
I just wish they'd ban the female dog.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
August 24, 2012, 8:35pm
Guest User
Ban anti racism campaigns fookin sick of hearing it theres more important things going on these campaigns are about 30years to late.
Reply: 8 - 28
STB
August 24, 2012, 11:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Let's start an anti-anti-racism campaign.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
Abdul19
August 25, 2012, 12:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Gary Haddock
Fair enough it has been in the last year, but only because it started with players in top flight and then spread to the teraces.

Did it?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
Gary Haddock
August 25, 2012, 11:52am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Did it?

the first racist case I heard of in football did yes, Caz wasn't before the like of Terry, Suarez etc, the publicity has made it worse.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Wrawby_Mariner
August 25, 2012, 11:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Gary Haddock

the first racist case I heard of in football did yes, Caz wasn't before the like of Terry, Suarez etc, the publicity has made it worse.

Racism in football has been going on for years and has been seen at all levels of the game across the world
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 12 - 28
Gary Haddock
August 25, 2012, 12:34pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

Racism in football has been going on for years and has been seen at all levels of the game across the world

well we have no control over the rest of the world so nothing we can do about that, but as for this country I didn't think it was that bad, obviously there was and always will be, a small minority of racists but didn't think it was that big of a problem, meaning that it's not an everyday occurance, which I don't believe it is otherwise I'm sure I would of heard about it years ago. In football that is, as for out of football yeh in work places and in pubs I have heard racist remarks mainly towards the polish though (not that, that's exceptable).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Abdul19
August 25, 2012, 2:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Gary Haddock

So the infamous 'Braintree at home' case was down to Luis Suarez?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
grimps
August 25, 2012, 2:15pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,176
Gold Stars: 46
Who cares to be honest apart from the people organising the campaign ?do they get free tickets and some nice t shirts from the clubs ?
or do they just like to sit around and discuss what a fantastic job they've done and pat themselves on their backs at dinner parties.
If they really want an area to target id say theres more racism on public transport if recent press stories are anything to go by.
Why do football fans need to be told not to be racist rather than other sections of society ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
bax
August 25, 2012, 3:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from grimps
Who cares to be honest apart from the people organising the campaign ?do they get free tickets and some nice t shirts from the clubs ?
or do they just like to sit around and discuss what a fantastic job they've done and pat themselves on their backs at dinner parties.
If they really want an area to target id say theres more racism on public transport if recent press stories are anything to go by.
Why do football fans need to be told not to be racist rather than other sections of society ?

Hi Grimps.

No, we don't get free tickets or free t-shirts. And I don't go to dinner parties. This isn't about educating football supporters, it's about educating people. The football club has a captive audience and is a leading voice in the community. I feel they have an obligation to use that voice to take part in anti-racism initiatives. If you think I'm a bad person for wanting to try and make a difference, you're entitled to that opinion but I'd rather do something positive than sit on my bottom and snipe behind the anonymity of a computer screen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
grimps
August 25, 2012, 3:55pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from bax

Hi Grimps.

No, we don't get free tickets or free t-shirts. And I don't go to dinner parties. This isn't about educating football supporters, it's about educating people. The football club has a captive audience and is a leading voice in the community. I feel they have an obligation to use that voice to take part in anti-racism initiatives. If you think I'm a bad person for wanting to try and make a difference, you're entitled to that opinion but I'd rather do something positive than sit on my bottom and snipe behind the anonymity of a computer screen.

Im pretty sure it is about educating football suporters and why do I need to be told not to be racist anyway ?
Im sure most decent people dont need to be told what the diffrence from right from wrong is ,why dont they put adverts on at the cinema asking me to refrain from burgling ?
or do a campaign on the side of busses asking me not to rape people ?
The reason is because you dont need to have to tell decent people not to do these things but the likes of you still look down your noses at football fans and think we cant sit in a staduim without turning into the klu klux klan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
bladerunnner
August 25, 2012, 4:07pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
Quoted from grimps

Im pretty sure it is about educating football suporters and why do I need to be told not to be racist anyway ?
Im sure most decent people dont need to be told what the diffrence from right from wrong is ,why dont they put adverts on at the cinima asking me to refrain from burgling ?
The reason is because you dont need to have to tell decent people not to do these things but the likes of you still look down your noses at football fans and think we cant sit in a staduim without turning into the klu klux klan

the penny hasn't dropped yet has it?
racism is the pet project of the liberal ruling elite,and therefore only perpetrated by the great unwashed working class.
i in many threads on this forum have posted my opposition to the islamification of northern Europe via the breeding jihad..........it was a thread that went on for weeks,proof if needed with the liberal obsession to pandre and clamour to every minority out there except the white working classes that they despise so much,hope this helps

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
Abdul19
August 25, 2012, 4:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from grimps

Im sure most decent people dont need to be told what the diffrence from right from wrong is ,why dont they put adverts on at the cinima asking me to refrain from burgling ?

They put adverts on asking you not to illegally download or buy pirated films though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
grimps
August 25, 2012, 4:21pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

They put adverts on asking you not to illegally download or buy pirated films though.

Yes paid for by the film industry to stop themselves losing money.
maybe Town should put adverts round the ground asking the players not to be shite then the club might stop losing so much money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
1mickylyons
August 25, 2012, 7:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,392
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from STB
Let's start an anti-anti-racism campaign.

WHS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
1mickylyons
August 25, 2012, 7:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from bax

Hi Grimps.

Yeah well some of us dont want educating and would quite like to just watch 90 mins of football without some sharp object or other telling us how to behave.FOOK OFF
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Abdul19
August 25, 2012, 7:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from grimps

Yes paid for by the film industry to stop themselves losing money.
maybe Town should put adverts round the ground asking the players not to be shite then the club might stop losing so much money.

Fair point. I should've said drink driving advert.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
grimps
August 25, 2012, 7:51pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yeah well some of us dont want educating and would quite like to just watch 90 mins of football without some sharp object or other telling us how to behave.FOOK OFF

Yeah I agree ,why dont they go to the opera or a polo match and tell the viewers there not to be racist ?
Maybe they should ask why there are no black polo players or rugby union managers ?
if racism is society's problem surely these jumped up little bottom wipes can find time to preach to the rest of society and try and stop running football fans down
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
voice of reason
August 25, 2012, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
I'm not really sure how you will get a captive audience and what people will learn??? Surely at best, the players will wear t-shirts and there may be a few leaflets???

I can't see how that will educate anybody, any more than they already know... Nobody will take much notice of what the players are wearing and the leaflets would probs go straight on the floor...

I think the only thing that needs to happen is that the club stick to their rules and enforce a zero tolerance policy that they say they operate too... If they do that, that will be as much as a deterrent...

I can understand why Grimps, Micky, etc take offence... It does seem like, just because we are football supporters, people think this education would be suited to us, as we are more likely to indulge in racist behaviour... If it something you feel will bring some sort of benefit, then go ahead but I can see a few more people getting annoyed rather being educated into being more tolerant of other races etc...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
Gary Haddock
August 25, 2012, 8:16pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

So the infamous 'Braintree at home' case was down to Luis Suarez?

where or how did you get that out of my quote lol think your just taking the urine now. read my comments properly and come back to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
1mickylyons
August 26, 2012, 12:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
When i go in to a football ground im fully aware that should i choose to shout  so called racist language at players or supporters i risk being arrested however if i wish to hold so called racist views and even vote for so called racist political parties that is my right.I go to football to watch football i go to the cinema to watch a film i go to a resteraunt to eat and at only one of those do i get constantly drip fed the information that everybody about me is racist.I THINK NOT.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
Marinerz93
August 26, 2012, 1:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/28jxn5k.jpg[/IMG]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans unite & call on GTFC to kick racism out

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.