Anthony Elding

This thread currently has 4,954 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
laitey
August 6, 2012, 9:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -7
hearn didnt look half the player without elds but the question is can the other three link up well with him at least we have options for rotation and players to bring on
utm

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
ginnywings
August 6, 2012, 10:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mariner91

What else does he have then? He doesn't link play up particularly well, isn't great in the air, isn't fast, isn't particularly strong and makes some horrendous misses. He's not a bad player, far from it, but if we are to be promoted we need better than Elding as our first choice striker.

A proven goalscoring record? Averages about 1 in 3, which although not phenomenal, is a good record and at a decent standard too. He's more than just a finisher and i seem to remember people questioning his ability at the start of last season too.

I'm not saying he should be first on the team sheet, but every team benefits from a player like Elding in the squad, who will give his all when called upon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
mariner91
August 6, 2012, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,837
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from ginnywings

A proven goalscoring record? Averages about 1 in 3, which although not phenomenal, is a good record and at a decent standard too. He's more than just a finisher and i seem to remember people questioning his ability at the start of last season too.

I'm not saying he should be first on the team sheet, but every team benefits from a player like Elding in the squad, who will give his all when called upon.

Not really something that makes any difference on the pitch though. Especially when you consider that three quarters of those goals were more than four years ago. His scoring record since 2008 is not great: 34 goals in 152 appearances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
nelly_gtfc
August 6, 2012, 10:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

Not sure how many penaltys would come into that in terms of total goals scored, but then again same can be said for Greg Pearson, when I went through nearly all his games he had played his tally includes quite a few penaltys - which can be seen on his wikipedia, which I've updated over the last few weeks.  A goal is a goal though.
Reply: 33 - 65
kevikov
August 6, 2012, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from mariner91

Yes Elding has good movement and gets in good positions which is how he scores (certainly isn't down to his finishing). This is what will make him a good squad player but his other deficiencies mean I don't think we'd end up in the play offs with him as first choice.

Agreed.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
gymadman
August 6, 2012, 10:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Everyone is putting a lot of faith in Cook a young player with potential and G Pearson a bit of a journey man of a forward, I am not saying they cannot deliver but Elding has proven his worth last season, the competition for places could be the BIGGEST factor in any success this season  U T M
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 65
Total Football
August 6, 2012, 10:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Quoted from gymadman
Everyone is putting a lot of faith in Cook a young player with potential and G Pearson a bit of a journey man of a forward, I am not saying they cannot deliver but Elding has proven his worth last season, the competition for places could be the BIGGEST factor in any success this season  U T M

EXACTLY well said some sense for once on here.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
Total Football
August 6, 2012, 10:26pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Quoted from kevikov

Agreed.

point made
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
Tommy
August 6, 2012, 10:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
In response to the OP, I don't think anyone has been slating Elding.

There is a large number of people that think he shouldn't be first choice or will only be a bit-part player, but these views seem to be backed up by some decent, reasoned debate, especially on this thread by most.

I think he has tried admirably to play the target-man role when he plays with Hearn, but would like to play alongside a target man (Cook). The problem with that is that Elding doesn't have the pace to threaten in behind or run the channels as Hearn/Pearson will.

I agree with Ginnywings though that he will still prove to be s valuable member of the squad and will chip in with a fair share of goals again this season despite seeing less playing time.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
kevikov
August 6, 2012, 10:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 13
(shivers) did some one just walk over my grave?  

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anthony Elding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.