7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
fiveallive
August 6, 2012, 8:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +230
Gold Stars: 5
Anthony Elding has a proven record, in the past especially at Stockport where Pilkington of Norwich supplied him with alot of crosses so hopfully Joe Colbeck can get a few crosses in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 65
slide to unlock
August 6, 2012, 8:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -4
Quoted from mariner91

but effort alone does not make somebody a good footballer.

Derek Niven comes to mind...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 65
slide to unlock
August 6, 2012, 9:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -4
For someone like elding that's puts lots of effort in has had a very good career.

Prob had the best career out of our squad. In fact has you don't play for Leeds, Crewe, Ferencvarosi, rochdale and many more if all you do Is put effort in.. That helps but must have something about him..

As quoted before he's had nearly a million pound in moves to and from clubs not bad if you ask me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 65
mariner91
August 6, 2012, 9:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,927
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from slide to unlock
For someone like elding that's puts lots of effort in has had a very good career.

Prob had the best career out of our squad. In fact has you don't play for Leeds, Crewe, Ferencvarosi, rochdale and many more if all you do Is put effort in.. That helps but must have something about him..

As quoted before he's had nearly a million pound in moves to and from clubs not bad if you ask me.

What else does he have then? He doesn't link play up particularly well, isn't great in the air, isn't fast, isn't particularly strong and makes some horrendous misses. He's not a bad player, far from it, but if we are to be promoted we need better than Elding as our first choice striker.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 65
KK_DOG
August 6, 2012, 9:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
He did the business for us last season and I expect him to do the same again. He might be fighting for a starting place with the other strikers but I think if he gets his chance he will take it. Pre season is not that important otherwise maybe Southwell should start. He says he has had a tough pre season but is fit and raring to go.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 65
Stranger in the Park
August 6, 2012, 9:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -196
Gold Stars: 8
How many of Hearns goals were of his own manufacture? As his partner Elding did a lot of the leg work for Hearns.The parnership proved quite fruitfull were as the new guys are unknowns and could cost us vital points before gelling and I think that everyone will agree -we need to make a good start this season.Getting on Eldings case is counter productive and I'm sure the comments will get to him and then who's to blame if Town suffer.What has to be remembered is that when Hearn wasn't scoring(quite a few barren patches) at least Elding was! As for the new strikers ,Cook has a reasonable record but it doesn't mean he'll fit in here. He looks a strong lad but as with Pearson I've not seen enough to be overlly impressed but I do have faith in S & H so will have to wait and see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 65
moosey_club
August 6, 2012, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.69
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 230
1. poor touch
2.misses sitters 9 times out of 10
3. imo opinion he doesn't link up with hearn at all,even though they played uptop together they play as 2 individuals
4.decision making isnt the best e.g giving the ball away cross field against york at home in the last seconds resulting in a away goal and win
5. for his size he isnt all that strong on the ball
6. challenges for headers and always comes off second best
7.admire his passion and effort but he runs around like a headless chicken quite a lot, wer as if you watch say doncaster in the first half pre season game they was good players everything was simple and effortless as they let the ball do the work.

anyways this is elding summed up imo, hes much like marmite love him or hate him,i'd much rather see cook in the starting 11 this season but i'd rather have elding at the club than not, he's a great professional role model and like i said his passion is second to none.utfm hope he proves me wrong!!!!!

WHS but with knobs on. Saved me alot of typing.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 65
mariner91
August 6, 2012, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
How many of Hearns goals were of his own manufacture? As his partner Elding did a lot of the leg work for Hearns.The parnership proved quite fruitfull were as the new guys are unknowns and could cost us vital points before gelling and I think that everyone will agree -we need to make a good start this season.Getting on Eldings case is counter productive and I'm sure the comments will get to him and then who's to blame if Town suffer.What has to be remembered is that when Hearn wasn't scoring(quite a few barren patches) at least Elding was! As for the new strikers ,Cook has a reasonable record but it doesn't mean he'll fit in here. He looks a strong lad but as with Pearson I've not seen enough to be overlly impressed but I do have faith in S & H so will have to wait and see.

How many times did Hearn and Elding actually link up for any of the goals either of them scored? I would wager not that many.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 65
kevikov
August 6, 2012, 9:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +858
Gold Stars: 13
Its not just about linking up though, movement is every bit as important as ball control in football. If you're not moving, dragging players with you and creating the space for others to drive into then you're on the end of it all and running towards the ponny/lower findus! I like Elds, like his passion (something bradders is commended for), like his vocal encouragement and like his belief. However i do not like the fact he misses more than he scores and sometimes manages to do the easiest things completely wrong, probably why he's performing in  non league and not the championship tbf. Good squad member and will do his fair share this season. The type of player who, if not in the matchday squad will gee up the other players and push them all the way in training, ensuring those players play their very best.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 65
mariner91
August 6, 2012, 9:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kevikov
Its not just about linking up though, movement is every bit as important as ball control in football. If you're not moving, dragging players with you and creating the space for others to drive into then you're on the end of it all and running towards the ponny/lower findus! I like Elds, like his passion (something bradders is commended for), like his vocal encouragement and like his belief. However i do not like the fact he misses more than he scores and sometimes manages to do the easiest things completely wrong, probably why he's performing in  non league and not the championship tbf. Good squad member and will do his fair share this season. The type of player who, if not in the matchday squad will gee up the other players and push them all the way in training, ensuring those players play their very best.

Yes Elding has good movement and gets in good positions which is how he scores (certainly isn't down to his finishing). This is what will make him a good squad player but his other deficiencies mean I don't think we'd end up in the play offs with him as first choice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anthony Elding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.