6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Super Clive
July 25, 2012, 8:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from ROKERITE

I've been mystified as to why people have mentioned Macclesfield as challengers all close-season. I don't know what they have  based it on.

That's what I thought a few weeks ago but someone pointed out their signing and to be fair they have made some really good ones, don't know how they will fair though they need to get over the first season in bsp syndrome.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
grimsby pete
July 25, 2012, 9:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,858
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from Meza
I just hope and I know others wouldn't, i would give them a new deal now as the 2 managers have made some good signings, their winning mentality and spirit not to mention iron balls have spreaded optimism throughout the town, the negativity is slowly fading IMO

Just worried that they do really well this year only for them to leave for nothing

I thought they are on a one year rolling contract meza ?

Which means they ALWAYS have one year remaining on their contract,

BUT

I agree, we should give them a 3 or 4 year contract soon.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 54
grimsby pete
July 25, 2012, 9:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,858
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from OneLove

Have you got nothing to say meatpie?  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
gtfc98
July 25, 2012, 9:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,063
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

3 or 4 years?! The world has gone mad.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
arryarryarry
July 25, 2012, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,022
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimsby pete

Bloody hell I knew there were some nutters on here but that has to be one of the daftest comments ever.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
Grimsby2012
July 25, 2012, 9:32am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,460
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from 1600
Part 2...

Anyone else been noticing how close all the full backs are playing are to the centre back ?
Perhaps it's a good thing and necessary to block up the centre.
Though it means there's more room out wide.
In the 1st half Thomas had to run out wide a fair bit to close down the man and in the 2nd, they got the overlap on Hatton down our right.
So a lot of the time it was e.g. Colbeck filling in at right back, Artus at left back (I even saw Artus at right back !)

Worries me tiny bit but maybe it's the best (or only) thing to cover as a team and so far the proof is in the pudding.
Perhaps you can't have everything cos like Hull, Scunny we trying to play it through the centre of our midfield (and we stopped them !)

I thought Hatton showed how good a footballer he was tonight with some good skill and composure.
Though I still sense Bradley Wood is the safer "defensive" option (can't be much in it though)

Thought it was a good move by the managers to try Artus on the left and Soares on the right tonight.

Ratings...

McKeown 9(MOM) - Outstanding saves + telling his teammates to "play it in their half" (yes I was in with the scunts for a better view... )
Thomas 8 - Looked safe + got forward a lot more late on and looked threatening. Full backs need keep a straight offside line with the CB's though.
Miller 8 - Lots of blocks and great again.
Pearson 8 - Couple of dodgy passes 1st half but agree with johnny, he was outstanding with some tackles. Not got a bad touch either, can run forward and IMO has the potential to be a "complete" centre back.  
Hatton 7.5 - Cracking free kick + see above.  
Artus 7 - Did absolutely fine but not convinced about him being out wide on the left side long term.
Disley 7.5 - Looked sharp & did well I thought ! Both central midfielders moved the ball quickly and generally well.
Niven 7.5 - One or two misplaced passes but another good all round game.
Soares 8 - Some very intelligent play to hit the space. Put his challenges in too ! Creative diamond should be top drawer on his day.
Elding 6.5 - Got better as the half went on. Don't think he'll start on what we've seen but tbf he's a goalscorer.
G Pearson 8 -  Think it was him who played a great weighted through ball to Soares for the opener after we broke up play ?
Probably should have scored the disallowed goals but looked tricky and really threatening towards the end. Hit and miss touch but has a touch of class.

Subs

Colbeck 7.5 More evidence suggesting he will be effective and cause defenders a fair share of problems.
Cook 8.5 - Looked classy, strong and skillful ! Could he be another signing of Liam Hearn calibre ? Wouldn't rule it out !  
Thanoj 7 - Not on for long but spread play well.

I agree with some of those ratings but not most

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 54
Alfie
July 25, 2012, 9:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Planet are you on?!
Anything less than play offs this season and i'd say they've had a fair crack of the whip but time to look elsewhere...

i'd give them 6/10 so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
Rodley Mariner
July 25, 2012, 10:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,292
Gold Stars: 187
After finishing 11th last season and then winning a friendly I think we should probably give them the freedom of the Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
Stew0_0
July 25, 2012, 10:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,198
Gold Stars: 35
Well what can i say, more and more encouragement ahead of the new season.

McKeown reminded us that he'll easily be 1st choice keeper for this season. Made 3-4 decent saves. Fleming on his one showing looks as though he will be far greater competition to James than Kenny Arthur last season and a composed deputy if and when called upon for the first team

We've improved on our full backs from last season, think Hatton and Thomas are excellent wing backs, Sam looks like he can take a mean set piece as well as Slocombe made an excellent stop to tip his shot onto the bar, and Aswad's tackle in the final minute was immense when there guy looked clean through.

I have high hopes for Shaun Pearson. I'm hoping he's gonna have the kinda second season bloom like a certain Rob Jones. His performance last night reminded me of a young Paul Futcher. Superb timing of tackles against pacey forwards and solid in the air. Miller has always been solid for us since he joined us last season.   Ably supported by a hard working Bradley Wood and a new centre half to come we have an excellent defence for 2012/13.

Louis Soares looks a different player from last season, seems to have grown in confidence and finally got up to speed with the fitness levels of full time football,  Frankie Artus and Thanoj are two of the most technically gifted in the squad and with Andi only young, I have hopes that he will improve even further. Niven has added a much needed bite to the midfield and Disley has always been a solid player at this level.

Excited at the Prospect of Joe Colbeck running at BSP full backs this season, seems to have added a new dimension to us as his blistering pace far exceeds Coulsen's. He is very direct and skillful and i am expecting his assists column to be high this season.

The front line. We have a wealth of strikers all capable of double figures this season and it's difficult to choose two from four for the starting 11.  If I were Elding, I think I'd be concerned, because he has been the least effective in pre-season and is perhaps feeling a bit of pressure from the others, I think a season where he is used sparingly from the subs bench awaits.

Liam Hearn has to be picked in my opinion. Pace, power and goals with expected better service from an improved midfield and I'd like to think he can surpass last seasons goal tally, then we have Andy Cook. This guy is the target man we've missed since Gary Jones, add to that he's powerful, is deceptively quick and still only young, his goal last night was superb. Also we have Greg Pearson, he's showed in pre-season that he is an intelligent striker, has pace, holds the ball well, runs the line and is a good link to the midfield. A good all round striker.

Dayle Southwell has improved a huge amount but may just fall short of getting in the match day squad, so should benefit from an early season loan out in the BSP North or South and reassess his form after Christmas.

Overall we've showed in pre-season that we can mix it up. Against better footballing teams we show good discipline, with two strong banks of four when defending and comfortable in possession, and against the more physical sides we have the strength and height in the squad to cope against direct football as well as a number of outlets and options when attacking.

As you can probably tell I'm feeling optimistic for a top 5 finish this season. utm  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Jarmo.Is.God
July 25, 2012, 10:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
McKeown, made some outstanding saves ! had some banter with the fans ! top player
Hatton, looked good, didn't like what I had previously seen of him, but did well
Miller, solid, won his headers and tackles.
Pearson, quality, if he can stop so called league 1 strikers as easy as that, he will be brilliant this season.
Thomas, looked loads better.
Soares, different player compared to last season, some brilliant skill and good confidence.
Niven, not sure... dont think I like him, seems abit dodgey, but only time will tell on him.
Disley, has undoubtedly got quality, but too laid back at times IMO, too casual in tackles.
Artus, brilliant skill, not very fast, but apart from his speed, he is a top player.
Pearson, give the ball to his feet, and he will cause defenders big problems.
Elding, give 110% every game, but unfortunately, we have better strikers, he will however still play a big part this season.

Subs:
Cook, not decided if he or Pearson is the best signing, brilliant skill, wins his header, and can bloody well score !!!!
Colbeck, didnt get much time yesterday, but looks a very good and dangerous winger, no idea why Hereford didn't like him ?
Thanoj, again, didnt get enough time, but is a good player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.