July 24, 2012, 11:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
Quoted from Tommy
Pearson and Miller were immense.

Soares and G.Pearson were quite useful.

For me the man who made the biggest contribution, was Andy Cook, even though he only played 45 minutes he made a massive difference to us. Nice skill, control and strength before his goal too.

Totally agree, Pearson was outstanding imo. getting better all the time.

Great team performance. Signs of a positive mentality
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
80sglory
July 25, 2012, 12:00am
Guest User
Part 2...

Anyone else been noticing how close all the full backs are playing are to the centre back ?
Perhaps it's a good thing and necessary to block up the centre.
Though it means there's more room out wide.
In the 1st half Thomas had to run out wide a fair bit to close down the man and in the 2nd, they got the overlap on Hatton down our right.
So a lot of the time it was e.g. Colbeck filling in at right back, Artus at left back (I even saw Artus at right back !)

Worries me tiny bit but maybe it's the best (or only) thing to cover as a team and so far the proof is in the pudding.
Perhaps you can't have everything cos like Hull, Scunny we trying to play it through the centre of our midfield (and we stopped them !)

I thought Hatton showed how good a footballer he was tonight with some good skill and composure.
Though I still sense Bradley Wood is the safer "defensive" option (can't be much in it though)

Thought it was a good move by the managers to try Artus on the left and Soares on the right tonight.

Ratings...

McKeown 9(MOM) - Outstanding saves + telling his teammates to "play it in their half" (yes I was in with the scunts for a better view... )
Thomas 8 - Looked safe + got forward a lot more late on and looked threatening. Full backs need keep a straight offside line with the CB's though.
Miller 8 - Lots of blocks and great again.
Pearson 8 - Couple of dodgy passes 1st half but agree with johnny, he was outstanding with some tackles. Not got a bad touch either, can run forward and IMO has the potential to be a "complete" centre back.  
Hatton 7.5 - Cracking free kick + see above.  
Artus 7 - Did absolutely fine but not convinced about him being out wide on the left side long term.
Disley 7.5 - Looked sharp & did well I thought ! Both central midfielders moved the ball quickly and generally well.
Niven 7.5 - One or two misplaced passes but another good all round game.
Soares 8 - Some very intelligent play to hit the space. Put his challenges in too ! Creative diamond should be top drawer on his day.
Elding 6.5 - Got better as the half went on. Don't think he'll start on what we've seen but tbf he's a goalscorer.
G Pearson 8 -  Think it was him who played a great weighted through ball to Soares for the opener after we broke up play ?
Probably should have scored the disallowed goals but looked tricky and really threatening towards the end. Hit and miss touch but has a touch of class.

Subs

Colbeck 7.5 More evidence suggesting he will be effective and cause defenders a fair share of problems.
Cook 8.5 - Looked classy, strong and skillful ! Could he be another signing of Liam Hearn calibre ? Wouldn't rule it out !  
Thanoj 7 - Not on for long but spread play well.
Reply: 21 - 54
Southwark Mariner
July 25, 2012, 12:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from 1600
Part 2...

Anyone else been noticing how close all the full backs are playing are to the centre back ?
Perhaps it's a good thing and necessary to block up the centre.
Though it means there's more room out wide.
In the 1st half Thomas had to run out wide a fair bit to close down the man and in the 2nd, they got the overlap on Hatton down our right.
So a lot of the time it was e.g. Colbeck filling in at right back, Artus at left back (I even saw Artus at right back !)

Worries me tiny bit but maybe it's the best (or only) thing to cover as a team and so far the proof is in the pudding.
Perhaps you can't have everything cos like Hull, Scunny we trying to play it through the centre of our midfield (and we stopped them !)

are you suggesting Grimsby Town are playing Total football?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
80sglory
July 25, 2012, 12:19am
Guest User
Could be !  
They're certainly "totally great" right now.
Reply: 23 - 54
Codzilla
July 25, 2012, 1:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +11 / -3
I remember saying before to friends when woods was sacked it would be for the best and these managers would sort us out and get us to where we belonged. I still think we will be unlucky this season, but next season and the season after we will get double promotions up to league 1! Scott and Hurst will sort us out, i've always known it. Keep the faith, it may take another year or two but they've not been successful everywhere else for no reason...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
aaron rattray
July 25, 2012, 6:49am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
So 80s glory when town scored what did you do?

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Garth
July 25, 2012, 7:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from aaron rattray
So 80s glory when town scored what did you do?

I would have thought looked completely drunk off, but inside was welling with pride
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
jimgtfc
July 25, 2012, 8:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,124
Gold Stars: 46
So, 2 clean sheets on the bounce against supposed superior opposition. But why?

Pearson and Miller understaning?
2 new fullbacks?
Niven protecting in front?
New defensive shape?
Just good goalkeeping?

Really pleasing to look better defensivley after the last few years. I just hope they can keep concentration on a cold tuesday night away at some crummy little ground.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
ROKERITE
July 25, 2012, 8:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

Going by tonights result I don't think Macc will tear up any trees this season. They lost 5-1 to Nantwich!!

I've been mystified as to why people have mentioned Macclesfield as challengers all close-season. I don't know what they have  based it on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
OneLove
July 25, 2012, 8:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.