4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 17, 2012, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We must not keep thinking we can play 4 3 3...

we have 2 excellent wingers after tonights 2nd half performance in soares and colbeck so please lets use em..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mighty_Mariner
July 17, 2012, 10:19pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,263
Gold Stars: 10
Did we not play 4 3 3 second half? I thought it was a front 3 of Colbeck Southwell Cook?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Tommy
July 17, 2012, 10:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
This discussion/debate is going to dominate pre-season jonnyboy I am sure.

A few points i'd like to make are:

-If we are to become better and more familiar with 4-3-3 to the point where we can use it in league games, then is now not the time to play it, be a little bit patient and let the players get used to it?

-To everyone saying we were crap with 4-3-3 tonight, remember we were playing against a good League One side.

-The full backs we now have (Hatton and Thomas) will allow us to play the 4-3-3 system much better as they will get forward and provide width when attacking. This will be more noticable when playing against teams at our level.

-Could Hearn play the central role in the three up front, with Colbeck and Soares/Pearson outside of him? He may not win much in the air but he is strong enough to hold the ball up if it's played up to his feet.

-Remember.......it's only pre-season!

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Super Clive
July 17, 2012, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Yeah for the first ten mins of the second half, then switched to 442.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
mariner91
July 17, 2012, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,929
Gold Stars: 264
People keep saying we matched them when we went 4-4-2 but it may have been a case that they took their feet off the pedals because they were 3 goals up?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
jonnyboy82
July 17, 2012, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Did we not play 4 3 3 second half? I thought it was a front 3 of Colbeck Southwell Cook?

No, im sure we had soares and colbeck on the wings with cook and southwell up top.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
July 17, 2012, 10:24pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,263
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from jonnyboy82

No, im sure we had soares and colbeck on the wings with cook and southwell up top.

You might be right mate, but Soares definately had a more central role last 20 minutes or do! Best town player for me tonight, thought his close control, passing and vision was excellent!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Youngy
July 17, 2012, 10:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,690
Gold Stars: 9
Got to give credit to Southwell for two instinctive headers, looks like a natural poucher
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
jonnyboy82
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
This discussion/debate is going to dominate pre-season jonnyboy I am sure.

A few points i'd like to make are:

-If we are to become better and more familiar with 4-3-3 to the point where we can use it in league games, then is now not the time to play it, be a little bit patient and let the players get used to it?

-To everyone saying we were crap with 4-3-3 tonight, remember we were playing against a good League One side.

-The full backs we now have (Hatton and Thomas) will allow us to play the 4-3-3 system much better as they will get forward and provide width when attacking. This will be more noticable when playing against teams at our level.

-Could Hearn play the central role in the three up front, with Colbeck and Soares/Pearson outside of him? He may not win much in the air but he is strong enough to hold the ball up if it's played up to his feet.

-Remember.......it's only pre-season!

some good points but we started 4 3 3 against gainsborough 1st half and we were all over the place as soon as we switched it to 4 4 2 second half again we were better..

we just look so uncomfortable playing it and agree with you when you say it is pre season but we could also be using the games to look at other things rather than just looking lost in a system what just seems to not be working so far,,

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,784
Gold Stars: 189
I think the managers are of the opinion that 4-3-3 will really let us get at the weaker teams who attempt to defend in depth against us.

I can see us switching between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, depending on our opponents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One thing learned tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.