4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
July 17, 2012, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
We must not keep thinking we can play 4 3 3...

we have 2 excellent wingers after tonights 2nd half performance in soares and colbeck so please lets use em..

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mighty_Mariner
July 17, 2012, 10:19pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,263
Gold Stars: 10
Did we not play 4 3 3 second half? I thought it was a front 3 of Colbeck Southwell Cook?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
Tommy
July 17, 2012, 10:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
This discussion/debate is going to dominate pre-season jonnyboy I am sure.

A few points i'd like to make are:

-If we are to become better and more familiar with 4-3-3 to the point where we can use it in league games, then is now not the time to play it, be a little bit patient and let the players get used to it?

-To everyone saying we were crap with 4-3-3 tonight, remember we were playing against a good League One side.

-The full backs we now have (Hatton and Thomas) will allow us to play the 4-3-3 system much better as they will get forward and provide width when attacking. This will be more noticable when playing against teams at our level.

-Could Hearn play the central role in the three up front, with Colbeck and Soares/Pearson outside of him? He may not win much in the air but he is strong enough to hold the ball up if it's played up to his feet.

-Remember.......it's only pre-season!

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
Super Clive
July 17, 2012, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Yeah for the first ten mins of the second half, then switched to 442.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
mariner91
July 17, 2012, 10:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,928
Gold Stars: 264
People keep saying we matched them when we went 4-4-2 but it may have been a case that they took their feet off the pedals because they were 3 goals up?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
jonnyboy82
July 17, 2012, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Did we not play 4 3 3 second half? I thought it was a front 3 of Colbeck Southwell Cook?

No, im sure we had soares and colbeck on the wings with cook and southwell up top.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
July 17, 2012, 10:24pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from jonnyboy82

No, im sure we had soares and colbeck on the wings with cook and southwell up top.

You might be right mate, but Soares definately had a more central role last 20 minutes or do! Best town player for me tonight, thought his close control, passing and vision was excellent!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Youngy
July 17, 2012, 10:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,690
Gold Stars: 9
Got to give credit to Southwell for two instinctive headers, looks like a natural poucher
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
jonnyboy82
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
This discussion/debate is going to dominate pre-season jonnyboy I am sure.

A few points i'd like to make are:

-If we are to become better and more familiar with 4-3-3 to the point where we can use it in league games, then is now not the time to play it, be a little bit patient and let the players get used to it?

-To everyone saying we were crap with 4-3-3 tonight, remember we were playing against a good League One side.

-The full backs we now have (Hatton and Thomas) will allow us to play the 4-3-3 system much better as they will get forward and provide width when attacking. This will be more noticable when playing against teams at our level.

-Could Hearn play the central role in the three up front, with Colbeck and Soares/Pearson outside of him? He may not win much in the air but he is strong enough to hold the ball up if it's played up to his feet.

-Remember.......it's only pre-season!

some good points but we started 4 3 3 against gainsborough 1st half and we were all over the place as soon as we switched it to 4 4 2 second half again we were better..

we just look so uncomfortable playing it and agree with you when you say it is pre season but we could also be using the games to look at other things rather than just looking lost in a system what just seems to not be working so far,,

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,783
Gold Stars: 189
I think the managers are of the opinion that 4-3-3 will really let us get at the weaker teams who attempt to defend in depth against us.

I can see us switching between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, depending on our opponents.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
jonnyboy82
July 17, 2012, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker

You might be right mate, but Soares definately had a more central role last 20 minutes or do! Best town player for me tonight, thought his close control, passing and vision was excellent!

I agree mate soares for me was our best player,i think he could really do well for us either as a winger or more centrally up front.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
Tommy
July 17, 2012, 10:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Pleased to see Soares getting some praise. I'm hoping he can do really well this season. He's obviously got ability, just needs to build his confidence up (crowd being behind him will help) and get a run of games.

I went to Gainsborough with two mates who aren't regulars and both said Soares was our brightest player on the ball.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
louth_in_the_south
July 17, 2012, 10:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,725
Gold Stars: 96
Wasn't there so can't give an opinion on the great 433 debate but if the new players we've brought in havnt played it before its going to take a while for it to click . Personally if we want to play a defensive game , packing midfield and smashing into teams on the counter I'd play 451 with the 3 centre mids and 2 conventional wingers

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
July 17, 2012, 10:38pm
Pontoonite
And if you were one of the bell ends who booed when the half time whistle was blown then you need to give yourselves a flipping slap. It's a flipping PRE SEASON FRIENDLY!!!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Tommy
July 17, 2012, 10:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
And if you were one of the bell ends who booed when the half time whistle was blown then you need to give yourselves a flipping slap. It's a flipping PRE SEASON FRIENDLY!!!!!

If this is true and people booed then i hope some people around them told them to shut the f*** up.

What message does that give to our new signings about the 'support' they can expect this season. Make one mistake and you will be booed, results in no players taking risks and being skilful and results in no players taking responsiblity.

Sure it was only a few mindless idiots but they need telling whilst at the game. Before anyone comes out with the "they've paid their money their entitled to their opinion" line, they're not if their opinion is so stupid and could be detrimental to the performance of some of the players.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
July 17, 2012, 10:43pm
Guest User

Well said, it is what pre season is for so we can see where are weaknesses are so that we can correct them for the real thing. Anyone who is expecting us to beat a team 2 divisions  higher than us are stupid.  I would rather us get it wrong now so that we dont get it wrong when the real thing comes along.
Reply: 15 - 33
Mighty_Mariner
July 17, 2012, 10:47pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from Tommy

If this is true and people booed then i hope some people around them told them to shut the f*** up.

What message does that give to our new signings about the 'support' they can expect this season. Make one mistake and you will be booed, results in no players taking risks and being skilful and results in no players taking responsiblity.

Sure it was only a few mindless idiots but they need telling whilst at the game. Before anyone comes out with the "they've paid their money their entitled to their opinion" line, they're not if their opinion is so stupid and could be detrimental to the performance of some of the players.

Unfortunately it's true mate, I had a bit of a rant with several expletives loud enough for the idiots to hear! I was genuinely shocked!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
aaron rattray
July 17, 2012, 10:50pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I heard them boo

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
TheCurlyMariner12
July 17, 2012, 10:58pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / -1
For me Soares was the best player on the pitch, and i thought Colbeck looked a very good player too, hes got the ability to get past players and hisfinal ball and corners was not bad either.

UTM !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 1:18am
Guest User

You might be right mate, but Soares definately had a more central role last 20 minutes or do!

Very true !
Have to say, whilst Soares might have been playing left side he quickly cut into the centre.

Not sure what it all means and johnnyboy might be right but I'm not convinced.
If I had to guess I'd say it's more a case of "start slow, get better" in both games and the formations were co-incidence.
Jury still out for me...
Reply: 19 - 33
Harry Haddock
July 18, 2012, 1:36am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
It looked like Soares was asked to play behind the front 2. I can see him and Colbeck reaching double figures this season (providing they stay fit/injury free)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
aaron rattray
July 18, 2012, 6:00am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Soares did certainly play well, he isn't very fast but he still manages to dribble and take players on and beat them and hes skilful

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
oldun
July 18, 2012, 8:46am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
It was good work out and test for our defensive capabilities. fitness levels looked pretty good especialyl as many players actually did 90mins and covered a lot of the pitch. We seem to have many more options this time round. I don't think we know the best formation yet. Not sure what happened with Hearn. He did not get into the game and did not play in the second half. Also Greg Pearson was missing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Stew0_0
July 18, 2012, 8:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,198
Gold Stars: 35
Think in the second half it was a 4-3-1-2 with Soares in the hole. Agree that Colbeck looks good on the right wing but if we are to be playing 4-4-2 then we still need a direct pacey left sided winger.  For those who chose to leave at half time, you missed a completely different second half that was dictated by town and we were unlucky not to equalise in the dying minutes. Against a team who were in the championship last season I felt we more than held our own in the second half, we just gave them too much respect in the first half
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Super Clive
July 18, 2012, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Whoever left at halftime for no reason other than the first half performance are pathetic...thanks for your cash though
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
jonnyboy82
July 18, 2012, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Super Clive
Whoever left at halftime for no reason other than the first half performance are pathetic...thanks for your cash though

Agreed mate...

Although i did think after watching the 1st half it would be at least 5 or 6 nil at FT but credit to the players for the 2nd half performance.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
aaron rattray
July 18, 2012, 10:09am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Agreed mate...

Although i did think after watching the 1st half it would be at least 5 or 6 nil at FT but credit to the players for the 2nd half performance.

My mates who i was sitting with in L92 in the ponny wanted to leave at half time but i persuaded them to stay

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
cleefish
July 18, 2012, 10:19am
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6

+Thank you gtfc I again  enjoyed the  game and I do belive that we more than held our own against a very good team .
I do belive that our team have proven that we can go all the way after the showing against 3 good teams my praise gos to S&H PLUSE FENTY FOR THIS TIME GOING FOR THE PROMOITON roll on Friday thats the game many of us are waiting for.UTMM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
mariner91
July 18, 2012, 10:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,928
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from cleefish

+Thank you gtfc I again  enjoyed the  game and I do belive that we more than held our own against a very good team .
I do belive that our team have proven that we can go all the way after the showing against 3 good teams my praise gos to S&H PLUSE FENTY FOR THIS TIME GOING FOR THE PROMOITON roll on Friday thats the game many of us are waiting for.UTMM.

I worry about you.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
Mr. Rattray
July 18, 2012, 6:15pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Quoted from aaron rattray
I heard them boo

The booing was definitely aimed at you rather than the players son, chin up you shall realise town fans don't like you eventually.

i am a monkey butler and will always be one

"aaron is in love with michael barrymore, and i will always support him" - quote by me

it is official, i shall always be the original fishy comedian

shall shall shall shall shall shall shall shall shall shall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
Abdul19
July 18, 2012, 10:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,638
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from aaron rattray

My mates who i was sitting with in L92 in the ponny wanted to leave at half time but i persuaded them to stay

You were all on one seat?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
80sglory
July 18, 2012, 11:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from Stew0_0
Think in the second half it was a 4-3-1-2 with Soares in the hole.

Even I'm getting bored talking 433 now but one last post...

Pretty confident it was 4-4-2 but became 4-3-1-2 as Soares quickly moved into the middle from the left side.
Wasn't set in stone cos he was moving around (is he candidate for a "free role" ?) but if it e.g. went out for a goal kick, he'd move back to the left side.
I was amazed by it and never expected it !  

Maybe the upshot is we can switch between 442 and 433 mid game and it could prove a nightmare for the opposition to read and stop.
Whatever we do, if we're making the oppostion worry about us rather than vice versa I'll generally be happy.
Quoted from Stew0_0
Agree that Colbeck looks good on the right wing but if we are to be playing 4-4-2 then we still need a direct pacey left sided winger.

It helped Cook ran the left channel well but it's a very good point.
Unless we go with the above -  cos if he can do that in every game (unlikely !) we could be laughing anyway.
Reply: 31 - 33
aaron rattray
July 19, 2012, 6:59am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

You were all on one seat?

No i was in L92 and my 2 mates in L93 and L94

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
Biccys
July 19, 2012, 9:59am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 1600

Even I'm getting bored talking 433 now but one last post...

Pretty confident it was 4-4-2 but became 4-3-1-2 as Soares quickly moved into the middle from the left side.
Wasn't set in stone cos he was moving around (is he candidate for a "free role" ?) but if it e.g. went out for a goal kick, he'd move back to the left side.
I was amazed by it and never expected it !  

Maybe the upshot is we can switch between 442 and 433 mid game and it could prove a nightmare for the opposition to read and stop.
Whatever we do, if we're making the oppostion worry about us rather than vice versa I'll generally be happy.

It helped Cook ran the left channel well but it's a very good point.
Unless we go with the above -  cos if he can do that in every game (unlikely !) we could be laughing anyway.

That's what I meant in the 4-3-3 thread!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › One thing learned tonight

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.