This thread currently has 13,896 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
hook line and sinker
July 27, 2012, 5:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
i picked it up up by chance at the airport b4 holiday,read it for a little while each day b4 tea and beside the pool,not a bad read imo, repeated its self a few times with the same things re occurring and happening to him but overall it was worth the 7 quid. As for the football side i dont agree with the telegraph just focussing on this side of the book when they are publicising it in the telegraph. Only a small part of the book really is about football but reading the stories in the paper anyone would think it is 100% football violence. The telegraph seem fine glorifying FV the past few days in the paper but then are quick to brand ppl thugs, yobs morons who have been done for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 82
psgmariner
August 2, 2012, 12:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I'm about 1/2 way through this.

Starts off very bleak and you can almost imagine the publishers begging him to make his life sound as grim as possible. Certainly not a good advert for the area!

His first Town match was Donny away and get arrested straight off the train. Am beginning to like him more, the more I read but can't get over what a massive Liverpool fan he is / was. No interest in Town other than scrapping.

Also I was surprised to hear that the phrase "man up" was used so frequently in Grimsby in the 1970s. It's all his dad ever seems to say.

Edit - after a quick google it seems that the phrase "man up" was first used by an American football coach in 1987 so think Dean may have misremembered or used a little poetic license...

Private Message
Reply: 61 - 82
Kris2
August 2, 2012, 2:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Or maybe like the rest of his balderdash it;s just another lie.

It's kind of funny when you hear of these books then nobody knows who he is. Kind of shows that he heard a few stories and just used them to make himself into a fake gangsta.

I bet at most he was just a brat who hung around with a few older lads to feel big but was never part of any circle.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 82
dapperz fun pub
August 2, 2012, 3:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
i paid £3.50 for it from tesco.........total waste of money imo with a poor story line from start to finish.every one he mentioned i know , none of them being big players on the scene locally at that time, i know  the bird who lived in paris if spending your life poncing off people is a book plenty more in this town should have a go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 82
north wall
August 2, 2012, 3:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
And all the stuff about pervs and homos probably wants to impress a few gay film types and as for being kept in because of the yorkshire ripper it was more than likely what we called the peoples bark buddy  (cant remember his real name but i know he got caught and jailed) Total crap from start finish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 82
STB
August 2, 2012, 5:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Dougie Blastland ?

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 82
Rick12
August 2, 2012, 5:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Marinerz93
Haven't read the book but I could understand what he was trying to get across.  The people who work on the fish docks and at sea are some of the best and some of the roughest people you'll ever meet.  

For me I had to get away from Grimsby because work was hard to come by and the fishing industry was getting clobbered by fishing quota's being cut all the time.  Another reason is the mates I had at the time and the people I used to know through Town games.  A few of my mates over the years have been involved in drugs, armed robbery, GBH and other serious crimes for which they all ended up doing time for.  One of my mates has spent half his life locked up.  I grew up just a few streets from Towns ground and it was rough back then, East Marsh has always been rough.

I don't know the author and I haven't heard of him before, what part of Town did he grow up in.
interesting though do I believe people can make something out of their life's no matter how bad the situation is  you just have to know where your going and be prepared to sacrifice and give everything in pursuit of that goal

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 82
dapperz fun pub
August 2, 2012, 6:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,067
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Rick12
interesting though do I believe people can make something out of their life's no matter how bad the situation is  you just have to know where your going and be prepared to sacrifice and give everything in pursuit of that goal

many people in our town started with fuk all and have gone on to big things in life/business.i didnt like the abuse bit where he claims everyone was abused in grimsby... what any worse than say in hartlepool,hull,south shields (other fishing towns) i think not.the whole book stinks of a ghost writer saying in the background slag off grimsby as much as you can but occasionally lob in they are salt of the earth types with very little intelligence but i agree with one thing he said london opened his eyes to different things and different cultures,yeh most weeks whem i work down there it never ceases to amaze me how many weirdos walk the streets of our capital and how the pavements are covered in gold
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 82
August 2, 2012, 6:35pm
Guest User
Anyone ever remember a 400 strong scunny mob coming to town and smashing town centre up??
Reply: 68 - 82
hook line and sinker
August 2, 2012, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
I think the main reason some are a bit puzzled by this book is the fact that he/thebook has been publicized as an ex grimsby town football "lad". If you read the book in my opinion thats not the case at all and i dont think the author wanted him or the book to be perceived that way.very little is about football but thats they way they have publicized it to sell the book using football as a selling point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The tearaway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.