jimgtfc
April 23, 2012, 11:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 45
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17812635

Sorry if mentioned before. Not a surprise.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mingmariner
April 23, 2012, 11:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -1
In other news man lands on the moon alledgedly!! Sorry Jim.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 128
jimgtfc
April 23, 2012, 11:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mingmariner
In other news man lands on the moon alledgedly!! Sorry Jim.

The story was only posted on the BBC Sport website just over an hour ago. I didn't know about it so thought others might not too.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 128
Mingmariner
April 23, 2012, 12:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -1
There is a thread mate a couple of places below.....Sorry but couldnt resist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 128
SkegFan
April 23, 2012, 10:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Bad news I think. Some think Coulson is a bit indifferent in his performances. However I maintain that he wouldn't be getting England C call ups if he wasn't one of the best players at our level.

I would also ask this. If we can't offer him enough money to stay, who else is there out there that we can sign that is going to be any better than Coulson? I would say nobody for the money we offering Coulson. This is a worry as I can see him being snapped up and coming back to haunt us like so many of the other players that have done this over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 128
TownSNAFU5
April 23, 2012, 10:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,893
Gold Stars: 42
Coulson has shown indifferent form, like nearly all wingers.  If he leaves his number of assists and goals will be hard to replace.  He would be missed next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 128
80sglory
April 23, 2012, 10:48pm
Guest User
Understand why Coulo didn't play if he turned down a contract.

But a bit confused why Scott largely only played those contracted to the club for next season vs Telford.

Shouldn't he have been looking at those OUT of contract to help him make his mind up ?

Not saying he should do it for Southport because a win there is arguably important.
But it seems like a small opportunity lost (unless he's already made his mind up).

So call me a cynic but how about the theory he's already made his mind up but doesn't want to play many of the players who are gonna be leaving just in case they shine ?....
Reply: 6 - 128
Tommy
April 23, 2012, 10:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Can see your point 80's about wanting to see the players that are out of contract in a couple of months....

...but I think they would have seen enough over the season in training and in matches (everyone seems to have had a fair enough chance) to make a judgement.

One or two good performances in the last couple of games wouldn't persuade me to change my mind and want to keep someone that i had already deemed not part of the plans.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 128
aaron rattray
April 23, 2012, 10:58pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from 1600
Understand why Coulo didn't play if he turned down a contract.

But a bit confused why Scott largely only played those contracted to the club for next season vs Telford.

Shouldn't he have been looking at those OUT of contract to help him make his mind up ?

Not saying he should do it for Southport because a win there is arguably important.
But it seems like a small opportunity lost (unless he's already made his mind up).

So Anthony church is contracted to the club for next season is he?

So call me a cynic but how about the theory he's already made his mind up but doesn't want to play many of the players who are gonna be leaving just in case they shine ?....

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 128
Marinerz93
April 23, 2012, 11:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Tommy
Can see your point 80's about wanting to see the players that are out of contract in a couple of months....

...but I think they would have seen enough over the season in training and in matches (everyone seems to have had a fair enough chance) to make a judgement.

One or two good performances in the last couple of games wouldn't persuade me to change my mind and want to keep someone that i had already deemed not part of the plans.

Good points Tommy, may I also add that how many players have only performed when it's contract renewal time.  One player who I don't think who has enough game time and could be a threat is KHM, he should have played against Darlington as I believe his pace would have caused problems.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 128
80sglory
April 23, 2012, 11:14pm
Guest User
Good points Tommy, marinerz so perhaps minds have already been made up like I suggested.

aaron I don't think Church is contracted but he came on as sub.
Artus isn't contracted either and he started but I did say "largely".
Does that help answer your question ?
Reply: 10 - 128
rancido
April 24, 2012, 4:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,612
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from SkegFan
Bad news I think. Some think Coulson is a bit indifferent in his performances. However I maintain that he wouldn't be getting England C call ups if he wasn't one of the best players at our level.

I would also ask this. If we can't offer him enough money to stay, who else is there out there that we can sign that is going to be any better than Coulson? I would say nobody for the money we offering Coulson. This is a worry as I can see him being snapped up and coming back to haunt us like so many of the other players that have done this over the years.

Do you know what Coulson is on or what he was offered in his new deal ? I'm very confident that The Dynamic Duo will find a replacement equally as good as Coulson and on less money. They have been working in the non-league scene for several seasons now and will have a good idea of who they want.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 128
MarinersOnTheUp
April 24, 2012, 9:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Gutted to be losing Coulson I think he is pure quality and cant understand some of the stick he gets on here, 18 assist and 10 goals is very good!, looking at some of his tweets it sounds like he doesn’t want to leave but doesn’t want to take a pay cut. I think he deserves a 'send off' from the fans (if that’s what you would call it) against Southport, even if he doesn’t play   

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 128
Meza
April 24, 2012, 9:35pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 50
I wouldn't be surprised if Malkreth barrows winger comes in for the same amount coulson use to be on. Having said that keep your eyes on Luton signing everyone and anyone lol

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 128
TheCurlyMariner12
April 24, 2012, 10:00pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from SkegFan

we couldnt offer him the money to stay because if im right hes one of, if not the highest paid player? as when we signed him on the permanent deal the first season in the bluesquare our wage budget was considrably bigger because we'd just come down from the league and the club probably expected to go back up within a season or 2, now its our 3rd season in the BSP and the wage budget we have now is alot less than what we had when we signed him. and i heard from a source that the reduced contract was only £50 less than what hes already earning ? im not sure how true that is, its just what ive heard. but going back to getting a replacement, we need to be looking at the semi-pro teams, with players on non contracts? there wages will be smaller and no fee will have to be paid and there is some very decent players, ive seen some really good players come here and play this season, this is just my opinion i know alot of you on here will probably disagree.

UTM !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 128
oldun
April 25, 2012, 2:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Disagreements on here Curley, surely not!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 128
TheCurlyMariner12
April 25, 2012, 2:35pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Quoted from oldun
Disagreements on here Curley, surely not!!!

Haha it's inevitable someone will disagree!  

UTM !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 128
DocTower
April 25, 2012, 2:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
It's ok rejecting a contract but has he another club to go to ? I suggest that his head may have been turned by playing for England C . For all we know his agent would have been touting his name around league clubs . Not only to get a better deal for the player but to line his pocket aswell .

We all know that it's a short career as a pro footballer , so if he does go to pastures new all the best to him and we will welcome someone else to take his place . You never know , rough diamond and all that !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 128
wigworld
April 25, 2012, 2:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I hope he does OK. It sounds similar to Peter Bore's situation when he left, although I'd expect Coulo to find something a bit better than Bore managed.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 128
aaron rattray
April 25, 2012, 3:35pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
When footballers retire who played in league 1 and below how do they get money in later life?

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 128
mariner83
April 25, 2012, 3:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from aaron rattray
When footballers retire who played in league 1 and below how do they get money in later life?

They try and get a job.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 128
forza ivano
April 25, 2012, 4:06pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,262
Gold Stars: 266

ffs

to think that thousands of pounds of our tax has been wasted on giving you an education  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 128
Maringer
April 25, 2012, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,626
Gold Stars: 185

Traditionally, they used to buy pubs then urine their savings up the wall whilst regaling the punters with tales of their glory days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 128
Liam94
April 25, 2012, 4:55pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Quoted from forza ivano

ffs

to think that thousands of pounds of our tax has been wasted on giving you an education  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 128
aaron rattray
April 25, 2012, 5:22pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Well they might have got some legal aid by the government

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 128
forza ivano
April 25, 2012, 5:31pm

Exile

aaron - please just try and remember this old saying - 'when in hole;stop digging'

legal aid for ex footballers ?????? ffs x 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 128
Bullitt
April 25, 2012, 5:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano

aaron - please just try and remember this old saying - 'when in hole;stop digging'

legal aid for ex footballers ?????? ffs x 2

Good god, the world has gone mammaries up, it really has.
Reply: 26 - 128
Marinerz93
April 25, 2012, 8:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
The future unfortuneatly is full of aaron rattray's

[youtube]fMkrJOOTjj4[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 128
topuphere666
April 25, 2012, 8:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3

Legal aid for what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 128
mariner91
April 25, 2012, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262

They could apply for the dole I guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 128
bigdavemariner
April 25, 2012, 10:36pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
I've said it before, Aarion is taking the urine out of us all. He surely can't be as thick as he comes across?

"I'm the next Michael Barrymore"...I can't believe he doesn't see why this is possibly the funniest thing I've ever heard anyone claim to be. Next he'll be telling us he's a massive Gary Glitter fan. Word of advice Aaron as you go into college next year, don't go into college telling your new mates that you're the next Barrymore. Most won't know who he is, and those that do will not let you forget how stupid you are until the day you leave.
"legal aid from the government" ???
just the way he asked the question, "when footballers retire, where do they get their money from"....mum, why has that bus got big wheels and lots of windows?

You're not really that stupid are you lad? come on, tell us the truth, you're winding us all up right and laughing at us.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 128
mariner91
April 25, 2012, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
I think its clear from quite a few of his posts that he is a wind up. Nobody would genuinely claim to be the next Barrymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 128
aaron rattray
April 26, 2012, 6:51am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
I like Michael barrymore and i think he's funny and teachers and pupils has said that i am hilarious, so i am the next Michael barrymore

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 128
Garth
April 26, 2012, 8:11am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 26
I like Michael barrymore and i think he's funny and teachers and pupils has said that i am hilarious, so i am the next Michael barrymore

Says the 50 year old balding recluse hunched over his grease fingered stained laptop
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 128
cod.gtfc
April 26, 2012, 10:32am

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Coulson confirms he will most likely not be here next season, but does say he dosn't expect to go to any other conference team.

[url]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-Michael-Coulson-expects-exit/story-15920891-detail/story.html[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 128
ticker_1610
April 26, 2012, 11:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
After watching Coulson protecting himself n avoiding tackling out wide on the right, I turned to a friend and said he's on his way and doesn't want to get injured, he seems like he's already gone. Ergo all this chat about contracts and pay cut is really just covering up the fact he's gone and known it for a month or two, a la Atkinson last season! Good luck to him but a small pay cut in a double dip recession shows footballers are living in a different world to other working people, many whom have taken pay freezes for the last 2 years and altered hours just to keep a wage coming in. Two years guaranteed wage isn't a bad offer unless he knows he can get more or the same elsewhere or league football!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 128
Rodley Mariner
April 26, 2012, 11:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,246
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ticker_1610
After watching Coulson protecting himself n avoiding tackling out wide on the right, I turned to a friend and said he's on his way and doesn't want to get injured, he seems like he's already gone. Ergo all this chat about contracts and pay cut is really just covering up the fact he's gone and known it for a month or two, a la Atkinson last season! Good luck to him but a small pay cut in a double dip recession shows footballers are living in a different world to other working people, many whom have taken pay freezes for the last 2 years and altered hours just to keep a wage coming in. Two years guaranteed wage isn't a bad offer unless he knows he can get more or the same elsewhere or league football!

I can't see anything wrong in the way he's conducted himself. If I got offered my current job but on less money but knew I could join a better performing company with better prospects on more money I'd be off. Likewise, if the club have offered what they can sensibly afford and it's not enough then I think it's the right thing for the club to let him leave. Not all departures have to be acrimonious or somebody's fault. He's contributed more to the team than pretty much anybody over the past 3 years and however excrement those years have been he can leave with his head up as far as I'm concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 128
wigworld
April 26, 2012, 11:58am

Whiskey Drinker
What about this injury he's got? Is he going to make his own arrangements to get that fixed? Or will the club he's going to (if he is) take care of that for him?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 128
biggles9999
April 26, 2012, 12:12pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Unlike with Forbes' injury I would be a bit disappointed if we were to still pay for his treatment etc, a good length of time after his last game for his so that he go and join somebody else in peak fitness.

Maybe this was part of the reason Winn was brought in, it was an 'extended trial' as ScoHurst knew that he was leaving? All conjecture of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 128
cod.gtfc
April 26, 2012, 12:41pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I can't see anything wrong in the way he's conducted himself. If I got offered my current job but on less money but knew I could join a better performing company with better prospects on more money I'd be off. Likewise, if the club have offered what they can sensibly afford and it's not enough then I think it's the right thing for the club to let him leave. Not all departures have to be acrimonious or somebody's fault. He's contributed more to the team than pretty much anybody over the past 3 years and however excrement those years have been he can leave with his head up as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, I don't anyone is in the wrong here or can be blamed.

The managers have a budget to work too, and have offered Coulson less money but more security, because they believe thats what hes worth, or that they can get better if they save wages elsewhere (Coulson being one if he took the pay cut)

Coulson obviously dosn't want a paycut, and who could blame him? especially if he believes he can get the same money he is on now in the league.

Sad that one of our better players is leaving, but cannot be helped, we have to cut our cloth somehow or end up like Darlington.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 128
Chrisblor
April 26, 2012, 12:56pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,927
Gold Stars: 238
"I don't want to go too deep into it, but I didn't want to take a pay cut at the end of the day – that's what it is.

"It's not much and not a big cut but it's out of principle – I don't want to take a pay cut."

We're in a recession Michael. A lot of supporters have had to deal with much worse situations than a minor pay cut. If you really want to be at Grimsby Town Football Club next season like you say, you'd take notice of that and take the pay cut.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 128
Southwark Mariner
April 26, 2012, 1:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
Unless he knows where he's going, signing for a new club will possibly mean relocating and all the costs involved with that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 128
Maringer
April 26, 2012, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,626
Gold Stars: 185
If he can get a better wage elsewhere, good on him.

I've no illusions about loyalty in this day and age - he has to think about his future and taking a pay cut in the prime of your career is not a good move, regardless of the current financial climate.

He's one of our best players and I'd have thought he will be able to find himself a few League Two clubs happy to take him on. Whether or not they will be able to match his wage demands, I don't know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 128
jimgtfc
April 26, 2012, 1:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
"I don't want to go too deep into it, but I didn't want to take a pay cut at the end of the day – that's what it is.

"It's not much and not a big cut but it's out of principle – I don't want to take a pay cut."

We're in a recession Michael. A lot of supporters have had to deal with much worse situations than a minor pay cut. If you really want to be at Grimsby Town Football Club next season like you say, you'd take notice of that and take the pay cut.

Good post, good riddance imo. Roll on the next no.7.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 128
Chrisblor
April 26, 2012, 1:13pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
If he can get a better wage elsewhere, good on him.

I've no illusions about loyalty in this day and age - he has to think about his future and taking a pay cut in the prime of your career is not a good move, regardless of the current financial climate.

He's one of our best players and I'd have thought he will be able to find himself a few League Two clubs happy to take him on. Whether or not they will be able to match his wage demands, I don't know.

I understand this and have no problems with a player leaving for free if they receive a better offer from a club in a higher division. I just wish they wouldn't say things like I want to stay at Grimsby next season when it's utter balderdash. If Coulson really wanted to stay here next season, he could.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 128
cod.gtfc
April 26, 2012, 1:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Chrisblor

We might be all of those things, but if you knew you could do the same job elsewhere for a better company and not take a paycut and didn't mind moving you would too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 128
Chrisblor
April 26, 2012, 1:38pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cod.gtfc

We might be all of those things, but if you knew you could do the same job elsewhere for a better company and not take a paycut and didn't mind moving you would too.

Obviously, but I wouldn't go around telling people I really want to stay with my original employer when that clearly isn't the case.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 128
cod.gtfc
April 26, 2012, 1:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Chrisblor

Obviously, but I wouldn't go around telling people I really want to stay with my original employer when that clearly isn't the case.

Why isn't it the case? if he was offered the same money he would stay. He obviously does want to stay just not with a paycut, seems pretty straightforward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 128
LeeGTFC
April 26, 2012, 1:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1
Coulson on Twitter 2 minutes ago: "Officially left Grimsby today, had a great 2 and half years and hope the fans get some success they deserve. Massive thanks to everyone."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 128
Chrisblor
April 26, 2012, 2:03pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from cod.gtfc

Why isn't it the case? if he was offered the same money he would stay. He obviously does want to stay just not with a paycut, seems pretty straightforward.

I can see where your coming from but I feel that if he wanted to stay at the club as much as he says then he would be willing to forgo his principals and accept a paycut which the player himself has even said is "not much" of a cut. He clearly wants to leave because he'll be paid more and playing in a higher league next season. I just want players to be honest with fans and state their actual reasons for leaving instead of making out their hand was forced due to a contractual disagreement.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 128
Rodley Mariner
April 26, 2012, 2:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
To be fair I think he's been very upfront, in fact how much more upfront can you get than saying 'I don't want to take a pay-cut'. Think what he's saying is fair - if we'd offered him the same money he'd have liked to stay but he isn't prepared to take a cut.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 128
ginnywings
April 26, 2012, 2:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
To be fair I think he's been very upfront, in fact how much more upfront can you get than saying 'I don't want to take a pay-cut'. Think what he's saying is fair - if we'd offered him the same money he'd have liked to stay but he isn't prepared to take a cut.

I agree with what you are saying but the crucial point in the Telewag article for me was the bit where he said that he admits to "having his head turned" by interest from league clubs.

It may be that he will go to a league club on less money than his current contract for all we know. The lure of league football must be a strong one and i suspect he already has a move lined up.

Either way, he has been one of our better players over the last 3 seasons, so i wish him well. Still think we can do better than him though and i saw several better wingers at BP last season IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 128
psgmariner
April 26, 2012, 3:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree with what you are saying but the crucial point in the Telewag article for me was the bit where he said that he admits to "having his head turned" by interest from league clubs.

It may be that he will go to a league club on less money than his current contract for all we know. The lure of league football must be a strong one and i suspect he already has a move lined up.

Either way, he has been one of our better players over the last 3 seasons, so i wish him well. Still think we can do better than him though and i saw several better wingers at BP last season IMO.

WHS.

Can't argue with the fact he has been valuable with his assists though:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/assists/_/league/eng.5/english-conference?cc=5739

Private Message
Reply: 52 - 128
arryarryarry
April 26, 2012, 4:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Those that are saying why didn't he stay even with a paycut as many of the fans may have had a paycut are not living in the real world.

Where I work and have done for a number of years we have had an effective paycut as we have had only one below inflation increase since 2008. However despite my being here a long time if another Company came in and offered me more money with better prospects in the same line of work I am in now I would have told my current employer where to stick their job.

Having seen many long serving staff made redundant because of cost cutting measures and over the years players dumped at the end of their contracts their isn't much room for sentiment.

I for one wish Michael all the best and thank him and all the players for their efforts even if I thought some of them weren't up to it.  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 128
Southwark Mariner
April 26, 2012, 4:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
John Tondeur's tweeted that there's an interesting interview with Coulson this evening and that he left "with a nasty taste"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 128
lincoln.mariner
April 26, 2012, 7:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed with the last point.  Whilst he shows what he is capable of sometimes (and accept his assists have been valuable) I do think this last season has been generally disappointing for him and is overrated.   I wish him well though, given decent service to us over three years.  Time to move on and not bash the club (timing could have been better on the announcement - but all parties, Coulson included, have been playing too much out in public and in the media)

Which one is Big and which one is Small
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 128
cod.gtfc
April 27, 2012, 11:23am

Season Ticket Holder
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/p00qvrvl[/url]

Interview with Coulson starts about 38:40 some key points below:

Says hes disappointed with the way it has ended and left a sour taste in his mouth and would like to have left on a high. Dosn't know why he was offered a paycut but guesses its because of the budget but didn't think he was one of the top earners.

Contract offered was good but still a paycut and after much thinking and speaking to people he decided he didn't want a paycut and at 24 now is the time to try and get back to where he thinks he can play and hopefully will find a league club.

He has no offers at the moment, hand on heart, and dosn't know what hes going to do, but hopes he will get back in the league. If he were in the conference he would have wanted to stay with us. Believes a good side is being built here and will be fighting promotion next season.

If he was offered the same terms he would have taken it and been happy to stay.

Sounded very disappointed by it all and the way its ended as well as not playing in the final two games but nothing he can do, he didn't want to accept a paycut in the conference at the end of the day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 128
topuphere666
April 27, 2012, 12:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Apparently it's over £25 a month!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 128
FishOutOfWater
April 27, 2012, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Surely not??

If that's true then I'd say it's sadly penny pinching by Town....

300 pounds a year pay cut could be covered by one extra fan at every game next season and if we are up near the top, would be easily achieved

Maybe the trust could have played a part in offering to cover the short-fall if that's all it is? It wouldn't be the first time fans have paid a players wage
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 58 - 128
psgmariner
April 27, 2012, 1:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from topuphere666
Apparently it's over £25 a month!!!

How much over?

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 128
FishOutOfWater
April 27, 2012, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from psgmariner

How much over?

I read it as the dispute is over (or rather concerns) just 25 quid a month
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 60 - 128
topuphere666
April 27, 2012, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Yea £25 a month is what made him go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 128
psgmariner
April 27, 2012, 1:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from topuphere666
Yea £25 a month is what made him go.

Seems he wasn't that bothered about staying then.

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 128
topuphere666
April 27, 2012, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Seems he wasn't that bothered about staying then.

I guess there is 2 ways of looking at it.

He couldn't be arsed or the club couldn't be arsed

But I suppose if 10 players all wanted an extra 25 it would add up eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 128
Coley Surfer
April 27, 2012, 1:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +8 / -5
So. The club was prepared to let one of its better players go for the sake of £300. The club didn't have to offer Coulson reduced terms. As he himself pointed out on Humberside, if they had offered him the same it would have triggered an option in his contract and he would have had to stay for another year, it was the fact they offerd reduced terms which has negated that option. I would like to think that it was going to save the club the price of an Adult and Junior season ticket.

So here I am once more in the playground of the broken hearts
One more experience, one more entry in a diary, self-penned
Yet another emotional suicide overdosed on sentiment and pride
Too late to say I love you, too late to re-stage the play
Abandoning the relics in my playground of yesterday
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 128
BIGChris
April 27, 2012, 2:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
£150 a week = £25pm??????

For what it is worth i would have kept Coulson on his existing wages provided that is not out of line with the rest of the squad however I honestly think that the lure of playing in the league is a significant factor.

I also guess that the managers are not quite as taken with Coulson as many fans appear to be. They believe they can get players on lower wages that will better fit into there preferred formation.

Many dont see Coulson as ideal in either a 442 or 433 so all in all I can see why the nanagers dont see him as part of their plans
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 128
forza ivano
April 27, 2012, 2:08pm

Exile
Quoted from BIGChris
£150 a week = £25pm??????

For what it is worth i would have kept Coulson on his existing wages provided that is not out of line with the rest of the squad however I honestly think that the lure of playing in the league is a significant factor.

I also guess that the managers are not quite as taken with Coulson as many fans appear to be. They believe they can get players on lower wages that will better fit into there preferred formation.

Many dont see Coulson as ideal in either a 442 or 433 so all in all I can see why the nanagers dont see him as part of their plans

whs - lets' get real folks - if snh had really, REALLY wanted him, they would have found the money for him. and i wouldn't mind betting a  few quid that his replacement is already in place
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 128
BIGChris
April 27, 2012, 2:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from forza ivano

whs - lets' get real folks - if snh had really, REALLY wanted him, they would have found the money for him. and i wouldn't mind betting a  few quid that his replacement is already in place

Just been reading your e-mails about Veet
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 128
cod.gtfc
April 27, 2012, 3:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Yeah lets blame the club because it was only £25.

If it was only £25 then why didn't Coulson stay.

there's two ways of looking at it and both sides are to blame.

Personally I agree with the above, the managers have always said their preferred formation is 4-3-3, prehaps they are finally, now all the players (except Wood and Makofo) are their own going to build that 4-3-3 team in the summer and Coulson dosn't work well in a front or middle 3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 128
80sglory
April 27, 2012, 3:19pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano

whs - lets' get real folks - if snh had really, REALLY wanted him, they would have found the money for him.

Don't understand that logic tbh.
If they didn't want him why did they offer him a longer contract ?

tbf think it's a little bit of everything but we could have kept him on the same money for 1 year if we wanted to.
It's slightly disappointing wage caps seem to come first.
Reply: 69 - 128
Billybigbollox
April 27, 2012, 3:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +2
Wish Coulson all the luck and hope he does well..........But we replaced AC with Hearn so lets just see
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 128
Mariners_15
April 27, 2012, 5:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Remember when Connell came out with all the bullshit but after he went it came out he was asking for a move for upto 7 months previous? Everyone is slagging off the club but at the end of the day there is no loyalty anymore, thanks for the effort Coulo but even by his own admission it wasn't a massive pay cut so if he'd have really wanted to stay I'm sure he could have nudged a little bit...goodbye Coulo..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 128
gobby
April 28, 2012, 7:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7

Would you leave your current position in the hope of getting a better paid job? Or would you take a wage cut whilst securing a better job? Footballers do not have this option so IMO its a gamble they take unless an offer comes in before your contract expires.  
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 128
Welwynmariner
April 28, 2012, 8:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Coulson simply needs to look at what happened to Connell - stepped up a league and has ended up in a promotion winning side. Or Atkinson for that matter.

He got offered a pay cut and it's quite simple. If you don't respect yourself - don't expect anyone else to do so - particularly your employer.

Sad loss imho
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 128
topuphere666
April 28, 2012, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Welwynmariner
Coulson simply needs to look at what happened to Connell - stepped up a league and has ended up in a promotion winning side. Or Atkinson for that matter.

He got offered a pay cut and it's quite simple. If you don't respect yourself - don't expect anyone else to do so - particularly your employer.

Sad loss imho

Well said
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 128
psgmariner
April 28, 2012, 9:59am

Barley Wine Drinker

Sad loss imho

Just to be pedantic Atkinson has not played much this season and has just been released.

Private Message
Reply: 75 - 128
psgmariner
April 28, 2012, 9:59am

Barley Wine Drinker

Sad loss imho

Just to be pedantic Atkinson has not played much this season and has just been released.

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 128
Belfast Town
April 28, 2012, 12:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,693
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from psgmariner

Wow. I didn't know that.  Just shows the risk Coulo is taking - tough decision for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 128
Mariner Ronnie
April 28, 2012, 4:31pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
John Tondeur's tweeted that there's an interesting interview with Coulson this evening and that he left "with a nasty taste"

he didn't have one of them burgers from the burger van did he?  

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 128
Mighty_Mariner
April 28, 2012, 7:21pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from psgmariner

Serves the girl private right!

Just out if interest would anyone have Rob back?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 128
davmariner
April 28, 2012, 7:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,957
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

No.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 128
topuphere666
April 28, 2012, 7:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Didn't he start off well but broke his ankle?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 128
bladerunnner
April 28, 2012, 8:46pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
whats the bet coulson ends up at scunny?

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 128
lukeo
April 29, 2012, 9:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
I hope Coulson does find himself a decent league team he deserves it. He's been with us a while now and always put the effort in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 128
Belfast Town
April 29, 2012, 9:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,693
Gold Stars: 19

Sad loss imho

Out of interest, does anyone know how many assists Coulo made for Connell and the team last season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 128
Mariner Ronnie
April 29, 2012, 4:01pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100

[img]http://nooooooooooooooo.com/vader.jpg[/img]

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 128
Daftlad
April 29, 2012, 8:47pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Found out today what the " nasty taste " could be. When Michael left on Thursday he was told he would be paid up until his contract expired in June, as was the case with Duffy and Garner. That morning a league club asked him to come and train with them for a week and play a behind closed doors game. He had to ask Grimsby permission to do this because technically he is still their player. Grimsby said he could but he would have to forfit his remaining 6 weeks wages.
Apparently this wasn't the managers decision.
Know he's my mate but I thought this was crap. He's never given the club any trouble and when you consider the £1000's paid out to some former dross it'll leave you abit drunk off. Well I thought so anyway, don't know about anyone else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 128
Marinerz93
April 29, 2012, 9:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Daftlad

Found out today what the " nasty taste " could be. When Michael left on Thursday he was told he would be paid up until his contract expired in June, as was the case with Duffy and Garner. That morning a league club asked him to come and train with them for a week and play a behind closed doors game. He had to ask Grimsby permission to do this because technically he is still their player. Grimsby said he could but he would have to forfit his remaining 6 weeks wages.
Apparently this wasn't the managers decision.
Know he's my mate but I thought this was crap. He's never given the club any trouble and when you consider the £1000's paid out to some former dross it'll leave you abit drunk off. Well I thought so anyway, don't know about anyone else.

He was being let go and he was a good servant to the club.  I think the way he has been treated here is disgusting and if true whose decision was it.

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 128
Daftlad
April 29, 2012, 9:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from Marinerz93

He was being let go and he was a good servant to the club.  I think the way he has been treated here is disgusting and if true whose decision was it.

Well I asked him that and he just said he was told it wasn't the managers decison. So from that I assume it could only be Fenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 128
Marinerz93
April 29, 2012, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Daftlad

Well I asked him that and he just said he was told it wasn't the managers decison. So from that I assume it could only be Fenty.

If true, what a excrement  

Private Message
Reply: 89 - 128
wigworld
April 29, 2012, 9:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
I don't like it either, but unfortunately it's business. Same thing would happen with any other job.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 90 - 128
Marinerz93
April 29, 2012, 9:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wigworld
I don't like it either, but unfortunately it's business. Same thing would happen with any other job.

He is having a trial behind closed doors, the managers stated that players would be released early to find new clubs.  It's not as if he has gone straight into a league game and been paid.  This sort of business is the type that gives a club a bad name, ie word of mouth.

Private Message
Reply: 91 - 128
80sglory
April 29, 2012, 9:57pm
Guest User
If true then not trying to defend anyone but it's understandable in a way cos if people can save money (for effectively doing nothing) they'll probably try to - it's business unfortunately (and in this case one struggling for cash)
If I was Coulo I would negotiate cos whilst not ideal for him, there's nothing to stop him hanging fire and claiming all 6 weeks ?
Reply: 92 - 128
TAGG
April 29, 2012, 10:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
If this is true it has The Great Dictators finger prints all over it.
Just add it to the Boston Court embarrassment the bullying of the trust to skank the shares the way he treat John Cockerill and all the other stuff he’s done over the years to embarrass GTFC and its fans.
Coulson should be shown more respect.

Fenty out out out

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 128
80sglory
April 29, 2012, 10:20pm
Guest User
Maybe I'm missing the point here but is it so wrong to ask a player under contract to earn his money ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but what you're saying is he should be allowed to walk away but still be paid for doing nothing ?
Yes maybe we could have let him go as a thankyou whatever but it's not like we're Man City with money to burn.

Don't get me wrong I'm not on the pro-Fenty bandwagon and the 200/wk thing doesn't sit well with me at all, just trying to inject some rationality, fairness and common sense here.
Reply: 94 - 128
Marinerz93
April 29, 2012, 11:11pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600
(1)Maybe I'm missing the point here but is it so wrong to ask a player under contract to earn his money ?
(2)Correct me if I'm wrong but what you're saying is he should be allowed to walk away but still be paid for doing nothing ?
(3)Yes maybe we could have let him go as a thankyou whatever but it's not like we're Man City with money to burn.

Don't get me wrong I'm not on the pro-Fenty bandwagon and the 200/wk thing doesn't sit well with me at all, just trying to inject some rationality, fairness and common sense here.

(1)  He was told he wasn't required for the last game and that he didn't need to train with the squad anymore.  The way I look at this is that he is effectively on gardening leave, so free to do as he wants.
(2)  See answer (1), I don't think his contract requires him to sweep up, clean toilets.
(3)  We've done it countless times over the last few seasons to players who are at the end of their contract, Duffers and Garner included in this season.

The club has told the players to go sort themselves out and they have let them go early to enable that, there was no conditions applied to that.  Only when MC gets an offer of a trial there is a "yes of course you can, just sign the last 6 weeks of your contract off".  This is hypocritical and if true it stinks.

Private Message
Reply: 95 - 128
bobbyturtle
April 29, 2012, 11:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Marinerz93

(1)  He was told he wasn't required for the last game and that he didn't need to train with the squad anymore.  The way I look at this is that he is effectively on gardening leave, so free to do as he wants.
(2)  See answer (1), I don't think his contract requires him to sweep up, clean toilets.
(3)  We've done it countless times over the last few seasons to players who are at the end of their contract, Duffers and Garner included in this season.

The club has told the players to go sort themselves out and they have let them go early to enable that, there was no conditions applied to that.  Only when MC gets an offer of a trial there is a "yes of course you can, just sign the last 6 weeks of your contract off".  This is hypocritical and if true it stinks.

Very true,
they must of realised that Coulson would get offers, appears knee jerk and nasty to me, if true

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 128
porkies
April 30, 2012, 12:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Just wondering out loud, so to speak, but are Town entitled to compensation if he signs for another club? If so then a serious injury whilst playing in a trial before his contract is up could jeopardise that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 128
Chris
April 30, 2012, 1:50am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Quoted from psgmariner

I don't know if he's been released or not (didn't he sign on a two year deal?) but Atkinson broke his ankle in the Autumn which may have had an impact of the number of appearences he managed this season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 128
BIGChris
April 30, 2012, 7:41am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from porkies
Just wondering out loud, so to speak, but are Town entitled to compensation if he signs for another club? If so then a serious injury whilst playing in a trial before his contract is up could jeopardise that?

No because he is not under 24. Even if he were, we have offered him reduced terms so we wouldnt have been entitled to a fee even if he was younger.

Although Coulson has turned down the clubs offer and he has said publically he hasnt got anything lined up it seems a bit churlish
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 128
psgmariner
April 30, 2012, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from wigworld

Exactly. We finally start been ruthless with our cost cutting and the same people who were moaning about our massive debts / reliance on Fenty's loans start moaning.

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 128
Marinerz93
April 30, 2012, 12:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Exactly. We finally start been ruthless with our cost cutting and the same people who were moaning about our massive debts / reliance on Fenty's loans start moaning.

When you start being ruthless with the credabilty of the club it will cost more than the few quid strangled out of six weeks pay.  Going back on your word is something I never do and wouldn't do business with someone who did.  I don't want any of JF's cash and I would certainly never lump somone with my failings.

Private Message
Reply: 101 - 128
gymadman
April 30, 2012, 12:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +4 / 0
I do not profess to know every ex town player but those I do ...Macca..Whitts....Childs...Rowan...Rob Jones..Bolland  Bennett Williams, none  have a good word to say about their dealings with Mr Fenty. It seems he is somewhat calculating and maybe tells a few fibs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 128
ticker_1610
April 30, 2012, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Why pay him to work for another company. Fair do's in my opinion, didn't exactly put maximum effort in fir the last few games so I'd he wants a trial with no pay I suggest he thinks about those folk working for free at Mc Ds and other establishments!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 128
Rodley Mariner
April 30, 2012, 1:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

How is it cost-cutting? We're going to be paying him either way aren't we?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 128
psgmariner
April 30, 2012, 1:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker

How is it cost-cutting? We're going to be paying him either way aren't we?

From original post:

"He had to ask Grimsby permission to do this because technically he is still their player. Grimsby said he could but he would have to forfit his remaining 6 weeks wages."

So hopefully Michael finds a new club straight away and they pay him to have a nice summer holiday rather than us.

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 128
Rodley Mariner
April 30, 2012, 2:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
They're not going to pay him to trial though are they? Realistically it's either he sits on his bottom with us paying him or he goes on trial to somebody else with us paying him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 128
arryarryarry
April 30, 2012, 2:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
If he is under contract then he should be paid to the end of that contract, if he was told that he would not be inlcuded in any further games then what was the problem him having a trial at another club, I doubt very much they would have paid him.

Seems very mean of the club but having seen what's gone on these past few seasons it comes as no surprise.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 128
headingly_mariner
April 30, 2012, 2:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from psgmariner

That is the Fenty way, this is nothing new save hundreds and lose thousands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 128
forza ivano
April 30, 2012, 3:42pm

Exile
Quoted from BIGChris

Just been reading your e-mails about Veet

http://www.amazon.co.uk:80/pro.....mp;tag=5336653544-21

here's the link for anyone else who wants a laugh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 128
Fishfinger
May 2, 2012, 9:46pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
Sorry if already mentioned...

Coulson could be off to Scunthorpe!!

Just read on Twitter from BBC Humberside Sport that 'Alan Knill indicates possible interest in outgoing gtfc midfielder Michael Coulson'

Is he good enough for League 1 though??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 128
Chris
May 2, 2012, 9:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Fishfinger

Just read on Twitter from BBC Humberside Sport that 'Alan Knill indicates possible interest in outgoing gtfc midfielder Michael Coulson'

Yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 128
Chris
May 2, 2012, 9:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600
Maybe I'm missing the point here but is it so wrong to ask a player under contract to earn his money ?
Correct me if I'm wrong but what you're saying is he should be allowed to walk away but still be paid for doing nothing ?
Yes maybe we could have let him go as a thankyou whatever but it's not like we're Man City with money to burn.

He's been released. All the players are now on holiday.  He ain't coming back here, he's been shown the door, there are no matches or club business left, so why act in this way? Pointless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 128
fiveallive
May 2, 2012, 10:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Well he might good enough for Alan Knilll's team because he has players like Jimmy Ryan and Bobby Grant both played for Accrington in the BSP and League 2 so maybe he's building a hard working team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 128
Mighty_Mariner
May 2, 2012, 10:13pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from Fishfinger

No, extremely over-rated IMO!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 128
bobbyturtle
May 2, 2012, 10:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
if he goes there. i hope he scores 20 in a relegated team

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 128
Chris
May 2, 2012, 10:17pm
Table Wine Drinker

No, extremely over-rated IMO!

Yes his 8 goals and 17 assists (the top assister in the BSP apparently which means he had a direct hand in approximately one in three goals we scored this season), backs this up....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 128
Mighty_Mariner
May 2, 2012, 10:23pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from Chris

Yes his 8 goals and 17 assists (the top assister in the BSP apparently which means he had a direct hand in approximately one in three goals we scored this season), backs this up....

I just think the stats are decdptive, IMO he is a worker, he is not particularly quick or skillful and isnt a natural winger! We can do better!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 128
jimgtfc
May 2, 2012, 10:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
I think the fact that a lot of gtfc fans are undecided on him as a conference player, probably says he's not quite up to League 1 level.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 128
Fishfinger
May 2, 2012, 10:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144

I just think the stats are decdptive, IMO he is a worker, he is not particularly quick or skillful and isnt a natural winger! We can do better!

WHS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 128
Abdul19
May 2, 2012, 10:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,575
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from fiveallive
Well he might good enough for Alan Knilll's team because he has players like Jimmy Ryan and Bobby Grant both played for Accrington in the BSP and League 2 so maybe he's building a hard working team.

Neither of those 2 played for Stanley in the Conference but I agree that Coulson's good enough.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 128
tonyfordsmicrofro
May 2, 2012, 10:54pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +37 / -4
Approval: +26

WHS x 2. I think Coulson's been average all season. Not a patch on the previous season. If he wants off, let him go!

You fill up my senses,
Like a barrel of Tetley's,
Like a packet of Woodbine,
Like a good pinch of snuff,
Like a night out in Cleethorpes,
Like a greasy chip butty,
O, Super Black and Whites,
Come fill me again
Na na naa naa naa naaaa TOWN!!
Na na naa naa na na naaaa
Na na naa naa na naaa naaa
Na na naa naa naa naaaaaaa!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 128
80sglory
May 3, 2012, 12:15am
Guest User
Quoted from Chris
He's been released. All the players are now on holiday.  He ain't coming back here, he's been shown the door, there are no matches or club business left, so why act in this way? Pointless.

Well I guess you're right and to be fair marinerz won me over to his point of view.

I don't think it was necessarily pointless cos he might have said yes. (it's all hypothetical of course)
All I was really saying was, there's always a business angle to dealing with money and contracts.
I guess (if true) it was no more than a bit of opportunism in the hope Coulo might say "Oh sodomist it then ok..."

Though whether it's a good idea or not is a different matter and think marinerz makes a fair point.
One thing I did wonder though marinerz is where your evidence of other players receiving preferential treatment (for lack of a better word) in being paid off without needing permission for trials etc came from ?
Are you sure Coulo wasn't just in a brand new situation ? (hypothetically)

Quoted from headingly_mariner
That is the Fenty way, this is nothing new save hundreds and lose thousands.

This is what I just don't get about Fenty.
I can understand him not wanting to dip his hand in his pocket but almost every decision (except sacking Woods IMO) seems to be poorly timed or misjudged and it just seems to cost HIM more and more.

Suppose I get the impression he's trying to run a football team like a standard business.
Yes it's technically a business but don't see how you can plan financially when football fortune and decisions are such a huge factor.

tbh I wonder what our strategy is when we always seem to have the same budget every season.
Surely if we had a strategy or long term plan we'd see some big swings up and down in the playing budget ?
i.e. save big and the managers rebuild year 1, go for it year 2 and spend what we've saved ?

Yes I know STs are a factor but not sure chasing promotion EVERY single season has done us much ultimate good either.
Fans get impatient and won't like waiting a year ? They're hardly pleased as punch now !...

Now we're cutting in year 2 ?!
Makes no sense to me - if you back S&H and give them the best chance then at least you'll know !
If goes wrong you can start over and no-one's got any complaints (well they can't say you haven't tried !)

But as a club we just seem to be in a dual state of promotion chasing whilst continually rebuilding...  

Yes we can hold back and wait to spend money if things are going well, but if lack of money IS a big factor then it becomes a self defeating/fulfilling prophecy.

So I say back S&H NOW.
Then at least we can say we gave it a right good go.
If it doesn't work out then cards on the table, slash, rebuild and back youth/young players with the promise of huge investment later.
People will probably back it and unite if they see a well thought out plan ! (perhaps mention this before you spend big ?)

But I fear we're fannying about trying to be best at everything every year and ultimately achieving nothing.  
If a "competitive" budget leaves us just short again this season, then the fine margin to success will be of little comfort for me.

It's a bit like the team - I don't mind people failing badly just so long as they try their best...(not saying Fenty hasn't tried his best but you know what I mean...)
Reply: 122 - 128
Rodley Mariner
May 3, 2012, 8:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Coulson's not good enough for League 1 just like Danny Butterfield was never good enough for the Championship. He'll probably just slide into oblivion now he's been judged as not good enough for Town. I wonder what Butterfield's up to these days? Probably a binman or something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 128
Mr. Patient
May 3, 2012, 10:21am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Butterfield's been playing regularly in the Southampton team that's just been promoted to the Premier League
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 128
Rodley Mariner
May 3, 2012, 10:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mr. Patient
Butterfield's been playing regularly in the Southampton team that's just been promoted to the Premier League

Yeah, that's why I wrote that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 128
Mighty_Mariner
May 3, 2012, 10:38am
Pontoonite
Quoted from Mr. Patient

Hello Mr Face, meet Mr Palm!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 128
Mr. Patient
May 3, 2012, 10:40am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Ha ha! Sorry Rodley, that was my first ever post, not familiar with your irony!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 128
Rodley Mariner
May 3, 2012, 10:43am
Special Brew Drinker
No worries matey!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 128
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Coulson rejects deal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.