barralad
April 19, 2012, 8:11am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from aaron rattray
The grand national has been going on for years unlike its something new. Nobody moaned all them years ago

Nobody who had a voice at the time moaned when they sent kids up chimneys. Shall we go back to that?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 94
Rodley Mariner
April 19, 2012, 8:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from barralad

Nobody who had a voice at the time moaned when they sent kids up chimneys. Shall we go back to that?

It might be a way of keeping it quieter on here during the school holidays?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 94
barralad
April 19, 2012, 10:06am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

It might be a way of keeping it quieter on here during the school holidays?

I like your thinking Rodley.......

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 94
GreyhoundsAsPets
April 19, 2012, 12:21pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
It is always sad when horses die, but as has been said they can die in many ways and clearly they love to do it.

As was mentioned there will always be animal rights extremists and people who are anti anything.  I have been abused by some of these types of people because as well as rehoming greyhounds as pets I also have racing greyhounds and got involved in the rehomings ide having first been involved with a racing dog.

Racehorses and greyhounds in the vast majority of cases are well cared for when bred, reared and while racing.  If they then find a home after their racing careers are over they have a far better life than many animals bred for the food chain.

For the record our worse cases of abuse/neglect of greyhounds have come from pet homes...maybe we should ban pet ownership?

Kev
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 94
AdamHaddock
April 21, 2012, 1:54am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from GreyhoundsAsPets
   If they then find a home after their racing careers are over they have a far better life than many animals bred for the food chain.

Kev

Actually, after they are no longer raceworthy, many horses are sent to some dealer in York who then flogs them to the French horsemeat trade which includes the misery of live export. How often do the trainers and jockeys who have made money from a horse pay for it's healthcare and accommodation after retirement?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 94
80sglory
April 23, 2012, 2:51am
Guest User
Quoted from AdamHaddock
How often do the trainers and jockeys who have made money from a horse pay for it's healthcare and accommodation after retirement?

I've made money betting on Town but it doesn't mean I should have to pay for the whole squads healthcare and accommodation after they retire.

Jockeys have got nothing to do with it !
What next ? Profiteering stable lads/lasses who care passionately for animals earning £50/week are to blame ?  

Believe it or not, horses are owned by owners ! (shock horror  )
A small minority of trainers are also owners but very few owners make any money at all, the vast majority lose heavily  !
Chapman's an owner AND trainer but you don't see him ploughing much into Town do you ?     

If the betting industry is at fault for not contributing enough (what a suprise we don't live in a perfect world) then go ahead and denounce the club for it's partnership with it's bookmaker(s).  

"Live export" - do you eat meat ?  
Let me guess, you're a hardcore vegetarian Town fan who wants to ban all meat ?
If so, then what about all the jobs in the racing and meat industry ?
You complain about misery down to "some dealer in York" but you're happy enough to put hundreds of thousands of people on the dole and ruin people's lives in the process ?   Well done !

And what's YOUR alternative exactly ?
Make all horses extinct just in case they might suffer later ?  
By that logic you might as well just ban life itself !    

Also heard a woman died today from running the London Marathon. (a greulling and cruel 24 miles)
Shall we ban that too ?

Careful what you wish for - one day all football and your beloved GTFC might be banned just in case we get another Fabrice Muamba...
Reply: 65 - 94
mariner91
April 23, 2012, 9:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 1600

Also heard a woman died today from running the London Marathon. (a greulling and cruel 24 miles)
Shall we ban that too ?

26 miles 80's, not like you to let a tiny detail slip past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 94
April 23, 2012, 11:48am
Guest User
Quoted from mariner91

26 miles 80's, not like you to let a tiny detail slip past.

The London Marathon won't be banned it was only a human who died. Now, if it was a horse or some other animal that died, my God it would be all over the news today with people giving a unbelievable load of brainless excrement about animal rights and how cruel it is.

Reply: 67 - 94
AdamHaddock
April 23, 2012, 2:08pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
Fecking hell, where do I start with that, other than suggesting you get out more

Quoted from 1600

I've made money betting on Town but it doesn't mean I should have to pay for the whole squads healthcare and accommodation after they retire.
No, they have the NHS (something horses don't) for their healthcare and have the ability to buy a house with savings or rely on housing benefit
Jockeys have got nothing to do with it !
What next ? Profiteering stable lads/lasses who care passionately for animals earning £50/week are to blame ?  
As with any unethical industry, it's the people at the top who are to blame. The ones who make the money and spend so little of it looking after the animals
Believe it or not, horses are owned by owners ! (shock horror  )
A small minority of trainers are also owners but very few owners make any money at all, the vast majority lose heavily  !
Chapman's an owner AND trainer but you don't see him ploughing much into Town do you ?     
If they choose to keep doing something that costs them money that's their choice, but they should still have a duty to that animal's care
If the betting industry is at fault for not contributing enough (what a suprise we don't live in a perfect world) then go ahead and denounce the club for it's partnership with it's bookmaker(s).  

I didn't say the betting industry was at fault, it's the people who are with the horse day in day out who choose to put it through that event, despite the dangers. They don't do it out of passion, they do it with £ signs in their eyes
"Live export" - do you eat meat ?   No, not that it's relevant to the debate. If the froggies must eat meat then have it humanely slaughtered before it's transported
Let me guess, you're a hardcore vegetarian Town fan who wants to ban all meat ? Veggie, yes. Want to ban meat? No, I'd rather people made the choice to stop eating it. But then humans are omnivores and need certain nutrients so can't / won't
If so, then what about all the jobs in the racing and meat industry ?
You complain about misery down to "some dealer in York" but you're happy enough to put hundreds of thousands of people on the dole and ruin people's lives in the process ?   Well done !
Please don't flannel me with the jobs argument. Even though you're a McLabour fanatic, I'm sure you buy hundreds of things every year that used to be manufactured by workers in England but were then outsourced to China or wherever. Anyway, I don't know why you've become obsessed with my comment about the meat industry. I don't care what happens to an animals body after it's death, only that it's lives out a reasonable enough amount of it's natural lifespan and is not subjected to cruelty (such as being made to jump over massive fences and risk breaking their leg on the other side)
And what's YOUR alternative exactly ?
Well a ban on horse racing would be preferable but I could tolerate the continuation of it if
  • Jockeys, owners, trainers and racecourse owners we're forced to pay for that animal's retirement and long term healthcare as it lives out it's natural life
  • They got rid of fences and had a flat course all the way round. Also shorten the distance of the race
  • The horses had more rest between races
  • Whips we're banned
  • 50% of gambling reciepts (from horse racing) we're put towards welfare charities

Make all horses extinct just in case they might suffer later ?  
Why do you think horses should be made extinct? This might come as a shock to you but horses weren't invented by humans, they we're roaming the earth as wild animals while we we're still in the African trees eating bananas and ripping each other's arms off
By that logic you might as well just ban life itself !    
No idea what you're waffling on about there but sounds like the kind of hysteria of someone who is struggling to sustain an argument

Shall we ban that too ?
She is human, someone who knows the risks and still chose, completely of her own accord to run that marathon. Horses don't get that choice. Horse racing which causes the cruel, painful and unnecessary death of many horses a year is the symptom of a society which still sees animals as humans' property

Careful what you wish for - one day all football and your beloved GTFC might be banned just in case we get another Fabrice Muamba...
So because I'm against the cruel, unnecessary and painful death of an animal to provide people with entertainment (and lining the pockets of a few) you assume I want football banned? Are you actually capable of sound and reasoned debate without going to ridiculous and irrelevant extremes like that?

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 94
Rodley Mariner
April 23, 2012, 4:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I cannot even begin to comprehend how long his reply to that might be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grand National 2012

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.