Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Booing passing football???
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 70 Guests

Booing passing football???

This thread currently has 3,369 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Bullitt
March 18, 2012, 4:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from BlackBoots
WHS,

Far too many in the Upper Findus seem to have this attitude. Clueless!!!

Main Stand is equally as bad, some of the older folk fail to grasp we aren't up there in division one anymore, we are non-league playing scrappy football against scrappy teams.
Reply: 20 - 31
aaron rattray
March 18, 2012, 5:59pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from 2075

Main Stand is equally as bad, some of the older folk fail to grasp we aren't up there in division one anymore, we are non-league playing scrappy football against scrappy teams.

for the first time ever i agree

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Bullitt
March 18, 2012, 7:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from aaron rattray

for the first time ever i agree

Best friends forever!
Reply: 22 - 31
brad_gtfc
March 18, 2012, 7:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
No suprise really, theres some right mongs who go watch Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
80sglory
March 18, 2012, 7:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
Or the slow,ponderous stuff we play when we don't know what to do with it,so eventually launch it long and hope.

Understand all the counter arguments but there's a lot of truth in that.

Just give 100% AND pass AND move quick ?

I can see both sides.
Part of the trouble is there's a lack of confidence for players to run with the ball - if everyone's marked up then you need a bit of flair to open the game.
Serge/Liam apart, how often do you see a Town player run with the ball, let alone change direction, drop his shoulder or take a player on ?
If poor crossing/use of the flanks comes into the mix suddenly you've limited room to maneovre. (cue Duffy ?)
We saw it all under Woods - loads of passing but all too slow and not half enough creativity to go with it. (under Buckley - different story !)

That said, passing or long ball there's attitude issues lasting decades throughout this club.
-Severe lack of forward movement in possession compared to running back like madmen to defend.
-Dropping off too deep.
-Coming out far TOO patient and then invariably end up chasing/panicking later.

Pre-match Hurst said there's more belief than 12 months ago and sure he's right, but to me, (even if you take other things into account) it just shows how much work there is still to do.
And no more talking up Tamworth pre-match please - does it really help or is it just another old habit designed to lower expectations in case we lose ?
If the belief is there, let's not just hear it in the paper, let's see some real swagger and confidence like we're in control (preferably camped in their half !)

No pressure from me on results for the rest of this season - only really care about getting it right for next year.

IMO we've all got to aim for the stars to make sure we've got a fighting chance at really turning things around.
Rule #1 for GTFC followers - avoid sliding into self defeating comfort zones. (gonna add it as my signature)
Reply: 24 - 31
Swansea_Mariner
March 18, 2012, 8:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,486
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Tommy
What pisses me off is the constant moaning whenever we pass the ball backwards or across the back 4 in order to keep the ball. Against Forest Green we scored our first goal after a 15-odd pass move (during which there was moaning when it went backwards/sideways during the first 5-10 passes). Then 5 minutes later we started moving the ball around again, moving across the pitch and moving the opposition around and the morons start whinging. Baffling after we had just scored as a result of a long, patient passing move. On tuesday we saw York being comfortable in possession and keeping the ball without the need to go forward straight away and score within 5 seconds of getting the ball. They tore us apart playing this way. Even during that game there were boos and moans/groans if we played a pass that wasn't a forward pass. Some people have commented since that they wish we could play like York. Well i'm sorry but that won't happen for as long as these cretins are insisting on us going direct and vocally criticising when we don't.

The annoying thing is these people are possibly the same people who then moan when we hoof the ball up the pitch.

People having these views isn't healthy in the stadium when we have a team that is more effective when we get the ball down and play. And people throughout the country having this attitude and wanting teams to play this way (with no patience) is partly why the national team is falling further behind the rest in international football.

Let's applaud and encourage passing football please. If there isn't an available pass on going forward then the best option is to go back to a full back/centre back, let players move off the ball into new positions, drag the opposition around, keep moving the ball around and when the time is right go forward with a few zipped passes.

90 minutes is a long time and plenty of time to score plenty of goals. Have some patience and let us wear down these part time teams that don't have the fitness to be chasing the ball around for an hour and a half.

Applaud someone for keeping the ball rather than lofting it forward into 'an area' or for a 50-50 challenge in the air when chances are the ball ends up with the opposition.

This is so true! It's unbelievable how some people act. You should see the Swans fans where I live you never go to the Liberty and hear booing or players being slated. When Scott Sinclear missed a pen against city the crowd sang his name non stop for about 15 minutes gave him the lift he needed - just a totally different atmosphere, and it's not just cos they've had some recent success cos they were pure shite for almost two decades yet I've not heard the fans (bar the odd idiot) act like our lot.  

Fans can be truly the 12th man shame we can't seem to make up that extra number.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
80sglory
March 18, 2012, 9:25pm
Guest User
Fans should never boo or whinge at players but I don't buy this into your story Swansea fans can do no wrong.

Not just cos they've had some recent success ? You could have fooled me !
Bet they wouldn't be cheering had they been in our shoes for the last 10+ years !

Anyway if "our lot" are so bad, how come we've just gone through a huge winning run and how come our home forms been better ?

Yes fans can make a big difference and be the 12th man.
But there occasionally comes a time when the team needs to step up and show they can do it alone to get the fans going. (you'll notice the managers often say that)

I think we already expect too much of our (mainly) brilliant fans - they can only help carry the team so far.

In my view, if these players are tough enough for a promotion challenge then they should be tough enough to play the odd game without having to be constantly cheered on for 90 minutes.

Yes we're all disappointed but we're getting sidetracked if we think the fans are to blame.
Sod the moaners they'll never change unless results change - there's your answer !
Reply: 26 - 31
barralad
March 18, 2012, 11:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600
Fans should never boo or whinge at players but I don't buy this into your story Swansea fans can do no wrong.

Bet they wouldn't be cheering had they been in our shoes for the last 10+ years !

Anyway if "our lot" are so bad, how come we've just gone through a huge winning run and how come our home forms been better ?

But there occasionally comes a time when the team needs to step up and show they can do it alone to get the fans going. (you'll notice the managers often say that)

I think we already expect too much of our (mainly) brilliant fans - they can only help carry the team so far.

In my view, if these players are tough enough for a promotion challenge then they should be tough enough to play the odd game without having to be constantly cheered on for 90 minutes.

Yes we're all disappointed but we're getting sidetracked if we think the fans are to blame.
Sod the moaners they'll never change unless results change - there's your answer !

Aren't you (and quite rightly) one of the biggest urgers for the fans to "Get behind the lads" because it can have such a positive effect?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Swansea_Mariner
March 18, 2012, 11:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,486
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from 1600

It's swings and round abouts isn't it, they've had some truly woeful years. Used to go down the Vetch when it was £4 a ticket for students and have to say the £4 was an overcharge for the football, but for a match day experience it was excellent, lots of banter, fun and non stop singing. They've had seven good years but before that the club was run like a joke empitomised by the signing of Kevin Cullis as manger - yes who I hear you say - a youth team manager from non-league! Not to forget the club being sold for a quid and finally being saved by the supporters trust!

Hey this is all starting to sound like a mirror image actually youth team managers, supporters trusts - not to mention Martinez almost signed for us - oh it could of been so different! lol  

There are of course a number of factors in their success but the point I was trying to make was that supporters can be a critical factor, one that should not be overlooked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
80sglory
March 19, 2012, 12:40am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

Aren't you (and quite rightly) one of the biggest urgers for the fans to "Get behind the lads" because it can have such a positive effect?

Absolutely and fans should without me having to tell them. But please read my post again.

Just like the players, you can't always rally everyone for a collosal effort in EVERY single game, no more than I can come on and do a rallying cry every week (and tbh I do it rather selectively and not sure it always helps)

The bare truth of the matter. is that by definition (or human nature/pyschology whatever) sometimes players and fans aren't gonna be quite as motivated as on other occassions.  

The Newport game instantly springs to my  mind - was a massive over-reaction there 2 days before the cup victory vs Port Vale.

So occasionally levels are gonna drop - if it exposes weaknesses we can work on then maybe it's not necessarily such a bad thing.
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Booing passing football???

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.