Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What Rob Scott possibly doesn't realise ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 70 Guests

What Rob Scott possibly doesn't realise ?

This thread currently has 2,556 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
March 4, 2012, 10:18pm
Guest User
Thought Rob Scott's post match analysis was staggeringly spot on.

Think he's honest, reads the game exceptionally well + think he's a funny and likeable bloke too.

Whether he's got all the solutions is a different question entirely (and we'll see), but it gives me a hell of a lot more confidence about the team being in good hands for the future.  

He mentioned:

- thinking it would be a case of "when" after 5 minutes. (after seeing Braintree I said this to my mate sat next to me after 5 mins too)
- going through a bit of a slump and players lacking a bit of confidence (said it was "hard to understand")
- the crowd being a bit "dour" (yep I was thinking the same tbh !)

Dear Rob...

Apart from the obvious fact that we were rather unlucky not to win on the day, I'd like to offer you my own theory on WHY something was missing early on (and then others can have a go at me if they like...)

The history of the club (mostly the players but also some of the fanbase) has IMO in some part been based around a "do just as much as you need to do to keep people off your back/the players back" mentality - it sounds harsh by that's my basic impression.

Even when I was a kid supporting Town in the old Div 2 30 years ago, we used to have a joke before KO that Town would start slow, find themselves one down come H/T and then only get going with a late rally cheered on by the crowd in the 2nd half (normally to draw 1-1)

I think you're right that:
"the whole atmosphere around the ground was a bit dour to be honest, and I think that was probably the fact that that we haven't been playing as well as we have been and the fans find it difficult to get behind us and we probably didn't give em much to shout about".

Good point but IMO we've rarely come out the blocks quick at BP (or away) for years - the phrase "Work expands to fit the time available" springs to mind !

I'd guess we'd all agree that an opening goal can act as that catalyst we need for the crowd to cheer us on for more goals in a cracking atmosphere.
Like you say about the goal yesterday "it revved us up a bit and we were a yard sharper".
You're not wrong IMO - whether it was our goal or their goal (I'd say it got the crowd going), I never felt we got going until the crowd got involved.
IMO the Blundell Park roar is NEVER to be under-estimated but you'll rarely ever find it when the spoils are even and time is on our side.
Unless perhaps, it's so huge that Man Utd or Spurs are down at the other end.

To me it's like a culture/habit engrained in the club itself.
You said yourself after the Luton game that things had been the same for quite a while before you came and you weren't wrong !
I spent hours under Neil Woods tenure arguing the case for players to start fast to get the crowd onside myself.
Thankfully you're trying to change the mentaility into a winning one now, but maybe just be aware you've got to contend with years worth of history of players (and to a certain extent fans who believe "everything will be ok") overly-happy to go through the motions (i.e. do as much as they need to) expecting the 1st goal to magically pop up like a rabbit out of the hat without having to break too much sweat.  

It's not really meant as a dig at anyone - it's merely a general observation of what I've seen for decades.  
I can't really explain exactly WHY it's happened over so many years, but I do know that whilst the trend seems to be generally changing for the better under your leadership, old habits (comfort zones ?) die hard.

Anyway, keep up the great work and good luck for the future Rob, I'm right behind you.
roundballovalhole
March 4, 2012, 10:58pm
Guest User
Where is the option for 'shut the fu(k up 80s glory, stop posting such long winded, multi-paragraphed, referenced bullshit, go out the hiuse and try and get laid '
Reply: 1 - 23
LH
March 4, 2012, 11:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,609
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from 1054
Where is the option for 'shut the fu(k up 80s glory, stop posting such long winded, multi-paragraphed, referenced bullshit, go out the hiuse and try and get laid '

This.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
ginnywings
March 4, 2012, 11:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH

This.

That.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
80sglory
March 5, 2012, 1:05am
Guest User
Quoted from 1054

Have you done a poll before ?
Try fitting all that lot in as one of the poll options...
Reply: 4 - 23
Super Clive
March 5, 2012, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from 1054

Don't click on the thread then  ? maybe.....you know what you are going to get personally I love a good read of 80s threads, I find him spot on most of the time and he gets proved right days or weeks down the line when it actually happens....

Oh its alright 80s...don't post on a forum mate to discuss GTFC because roundthebumhole doesn't like reading it.....he's got the concentration level  of a sex crazed downy in a strip club.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
battered haddock
March 5, 2012, 9:31am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
well i like 80s threads..he can manage to say more than.... this... that....ect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
BlackBoots
March 5, 2012, 10:55am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
I personally have blocked 80's (and one or two more) but each to there own
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
speedy
March 5, 2012, 11:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Quoted from BlackBoots
I personally have blocked 80's (and one or two more) but each to there own

Cool story.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
GTFCNiles
March 5, 2012, 12:05pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +42
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 1054

This is a football forum; if you cannot reply in a civilised manner then maybe you should go and find a trolling forum.

Good post 80s, agree with your points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What Rob Scott possibly doesn't realise ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.