4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Doctor Sanchez
March 5, 2012, 9:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
I ended up thinking about Brian Hill during a boring bit at work today (this thread has brought back some memories).  Either later that same season, or possibly the next season I remember Brian Hill reffing at BP again for a night match.  It was not a league game as me and my dad were stood in the Lower Findus, we had season tickets in the Main Stand.  It was probably the Anglo-Italian cup or some such.  Anyways, when the ref was announced as Brian Hill just before the kick off there was a lot of groans from the fans.  After the coin toss, one of the linesman started making his way over to in front of where me and my dad were stood.  My dad, taking me by surprise, shouted out to the lino "Watch yourself linesman, this referee will just ignore you!".  I remember nothing about the match, who Town were playing or what the score was but in the second half one of the opposition players was miles offside.  Duly the linesman stopped and put his flag in the air and waited for our old chum Hill to blow his whistle however the whistle never came.  Cue lots of angry shouting from Town fans trying to get Hill's attention but he never once looked across.  The attack must've come to goal kick because all I remember then is the linesman running back towards the halfway line and as he passed my dad shouted "Told you so!" and the linesman just turned to my dad as he ran and gave what I can best describe as a knowing look.  

On a side note, another random memory.  One of the best bits of abuse I've ever heard towards a ref was around that period.  A boy in the Main Stand, probably only 6 or 7 years old, took a dislike to a refereeing decision and shouted "Referee you b1tch!".  I've never since heard a better criticism of a ref.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › I can't forgive and I can't forget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.