GrimRob
March 4, 2012, 4:10pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,436
Gold Stars: 113
Fraid to say I only scored 60:

http://www.urban75.org/football/offside.html

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
topuphere666
March 4, 2012, 4:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
I got 100% !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
denni266
March 4, 2012, 4:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
mmm i got 75
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
GrimRob
March 4, 2012, 4:50pm

Quoted from topuphere666
I got 100% !!

That's why I am a linesman  

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 3 - 31
TownSNAFU5
March 4, 2012, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
These examples are generally straightforward but not as complicated or interesting as yesterday's match example.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
kamakazebear
March 4, 2012, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +473
75% Got confused by the keeper stepping off the pitch one!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
mariner91
March 4, 2012, 4:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
100% for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
topuphere666
March 4, 2012, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from mariner91
100% for me.

And so it should be!!! hhahaha
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
rancido
March 4, 2012, 5:06pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
100% for me. Surprised they didn't use the example of an on-side player running through whilst another forward is in an off-side position. This seems to confuse most fans ( and some officials also ! )

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
80sglory
March 4, 2012, 5:14pm
Guest User
Quoted from kamakazebear

Same here, still don't understand it.
Reply: 9 - 31
rancido
March 4, 2012, 5:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1600

Same here, still don't understand it.

Technically a player cannot leave the pitch without the referees permission especially if it gains an advantageby doing so. Obviously leeway has to be given when players accidently leave the pitch eg when making a tackle or challenging for a ball.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2012, 5:29pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
100%, drunk it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
roundballovalhole
March 4, 2012, 5:49pm
Guest User
I think the latest changes about interfering and not interfering etc made it confusing for everyone;me; pundits, players etc
Reply: 12 - 31
gobby
March 4, 2012, 6:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from kamakazebear

If a defending player steps off the field of play which would in turn leave an attacking player offside and the ball is then played to the striker, he will not be flagged offside as the defending player is acting in an unsporting manner and will be treated as if he is stood on his own goal line, so no attacking player can be deemed offside! Keep smiling it gets easier
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
moosey_club
March 4, 2012, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
100%

The issue here as some posters have admitted already is that  a good percentage of supporters dont actually understand the rules of the game they dedicate so much time to watching.
Its ludicrous.
The uproar over yesterdays decision even from the players and coaching staff never mind supporters beggars belief. There was clearly nothing wrong with the goal, the ref acted correctly both initially and after in just double checking what the assistant had seen.
What had happened was that the assistant got it wrong, not the ref.
What should be asked is why the hell do 11 professional footballers, two coaches and hundreds if not thousands of supporters not know the rules of the game they play?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
lawsman
March 4, 2012, 7:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
The only argument I have is the fact that the first Braintree player who initially received the ball was coming back from an offside position which the assistant quite rightly flagged offside. Apparently the referee was able to cover every angle of the incident and was therefore able to wrongly over rule the assistant. I bet the assistant felt very well supported, if it was me I would have put the flag down and told him to do the job as he clearly felt he could do both jobs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Pontoon Steve
March 4, 2012, 8:15pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
100% can i ref next weeks match?

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
GrimRob
March 4, 2012, 8:19pm

Quoted from moosey_club
100%

The issue here as some posters have admitted already is that  a good percentage of supporters dont actually understand the rules of the game they dedicate so much time to watching.
Its ludicrous.
The uproar over yesterdays decision even from the players and coaching staff never mind supporters beggars belief. There was clearly nothing wrong with the goal, the ref acted correctly both initially and after in just double checking what the assistant had seen.
What should be asked is why the hell do 11 professional footballers, two coaches and hundreds if not thousands of supporters not know the rules of the game they play?

Having read a couple of referee biographies this point is raised again and again by our officials. TV commentators and pundits are particularly guility and many of their views are years out of date. Be good if they got some ex refs in the commentary box!

I'm a good example. I've read millions of words about football and watched thousands of games but I've never once read the rulebook other than to research a story on things like points deductions. My views on what offside and the other laws of football are has largely come from watching ill-informed pundits on tv. I suspect a large percentage of us have a similar background.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 17 - 31
Caveman
March 4, 2012, 8:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
I only got 25% right  but there again, I was sitting in the Pontoon at the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
moosey_club
March 4, 2012, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Having read a couple of referee biographies this point is raised again and again by our officials. TV commentators and pundits are particularly guility and many of their views are years out of date. Be good if they got some ex refs in the commentary box!

I'm a good example. I've read millions of words about football and watched thousands of games but I've never once read the rulebook other than to research a story on things like points deductions. My views on what offside and the other laws of football are has largely come from watching ill-informed pundits on tv. I suspect a large percentage of us have a similar background.

Its something that should be included as part of the f.a charter standard. Teach all young kids the rules of the game, its not as if there are lots of them is it?
Lost count of the times i have heard people shout for "backpass" when a ball is played back off the thigh of a player or "offside" when direct from a goal kick.
The Sunday League give each team a rule book every season and they used to also give out a seperate rule change guidance note as well so you could check for any rule changes for the forthcoming season. I how wonder how many players, secretaries, managers have actually read them?
Read the rules and i will guarantee that you will actually realise not all refs are rubbish, they may get things wrong as they are human but you may at least understand what they are trying to apply.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
mike502
March 4, 2012, 8:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from moosey_club
100%

Its ludicrous.

Apologies for repeating what I've written on another thread, but I'm genuinely slightly bemused by this.

I'm happy to admit that I'm one of the people who does not know how the offside law is worded.  I thought that the referee had got it right, but when I looked up the laws ([url]http://tinyurl.com/czxq28u[/url]), I came to the conclusion that he got it wrong (and the linesman got it right).

Law 11 states that:
A player is in an offside position if... blah blah blah.
I think we are all agreed the player who received the ball from Disley was in an offside position.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by [blah or blah or] gaining an advantage by being in that position
He was certainly in an offside position when the ball was played by one of his team.
As "gaining an advantage by being in that position" is defined in the official interpretation of the laws as (among other things) "playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position", it seems fairly clear that he was gaining an advantage by being in that position. The only point for argument is how you define the word "rebounds".

I can happily accept that I've missed or misinterpreted something in the laws, but can anyone tell me what?  But telling me "you can't be offside unless the ball is played forwards by a team-mate" won't wash, because the laws don't say that!

Ultimately I don't care one way or the other what the "correct" decision was - the only important fact from Town's viewpoint is that the ref decided he was onside and the goal stood.  But I'd be much happier if the correct decision actually matched what was written in the Laws of the Game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
supertown
March 4, 2012, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,467
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from mike502

Apologies for repeating what I've written on another thread, but I'm genuinely slightly bemused by this.

I'm happy to admit that I'm one of the people who does not know how the offside law is worded.  I thought that the referee had got it right, but when I looked up the laws ([url]http://tinyurl.com/czxq28u[/url]), I came to the conclusion that he got it wrong (and the linesman got it right).

Law 11 states that:
I think we are all agreed the player who received the ball from Disley was in an offside position.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by [blah or blah or] gaining an advantage by being in that position
He was certainly in an offside position when the ball was played by one of his team.
As "gaining an advantage by being in that position" is defined in the official interpretation of the laws as (among other things) "playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position", it seems fairly clear that he was gaining an advantage by being in that position. The only point for argument is how you define the word "rebounds".

I can happily accept that I've missed or misinterpreted something in the laws, but can anyone tell me what?  But telling me "you can't be offside unless the ball is played forwards by a team-mate" won't wash, because the laws don't say that!

Ultimately I don't care one way or the other what the "correct" decision was - the only important fact from Town's viewpoint is that the ref decided he was onside and the goal stood.  But I'd be much happier if the correct decision actually matched what was written in the Laws of the Game.

You have missed the bit where the player has to be infront of the ball, which does actually mean he cannot be offside if it is passed backwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
mike502
March 4, 2012, 9:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from supertown

You have missed the bit where the player has to be infront of the ball, which does actually mean he cannot be offside if it is passed backwards

No, it means he can't be offside if it is passed backwards and doesn't touch a defender.  Are you telling me that he wasn't nearer our goal-line than the ball was when his team-mate played it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
supertown
March 4, 2012, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,467
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from mike502

No, it means he can't be offside if it is passed backwards and doesn't touch a defender.  Are you telling me that he wasn't nearer our goal-line than the ball was when his team-mate played it?

im not telling you anything, i wasnt there. I was just pointing out that you missed a bit of the offside rule out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
GrimRob
March 4, 2012, 10:45pm

The problem is these are just the basic rules and are not very detailed. An additional imporant thing is an interpretation of the rules. It has been decided somewhere that "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team" does not include a ball comes off an opponent. It does not explicitly say this in the rules, or if it does I can;t see it.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 24 - 31
mike502
March 4, 2012, 10:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
The problem is these are just the basic rules and are not very detailed. An additional imporant thing is an interpretation of the rules. It has been decided somewhere that "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team" does not include a ball comes off an opponent. It does not explicitly say this in the rules, or if it does I can;t see it.

In the pdf I linked to, the rules (50 pages or so) are followed by 75 pages of interpretation.  This is where the definition of "gaining an advantage" that I quoted comes from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
we will return
March 4, 2012, 11:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from supertown

The player was infront of the ball though, it may have been passed backwards but it still bounced through to someone in an offside position due to a pass from a player on their team.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
tashee69
March 5, 2012, 12:20am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mike502

Law 11 states that:

I think that sums up why the ref got it right. It was a backpass. The Braintree player passed the ball backwards, Disley stuck his foot out and put their player through. If we are going to penalise players for offside for putting pressure on the goalkeepers then defenses and timewasters are going to be big winners. If one of their players had put him through I'd have been very annoyed but that wasn't the case. Two points dropped just hope for something from Fleetwood.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
80sglory
March 5, 2012, 1:08am
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Technically a player cannot leave the pitch without the referees permission especially if it gains an advantageby doing so. Obviously leeway has to be given when players accidently leave the pitch eg when making a tackle or challenging for a ball.

Gotcha, cheers for explaining.
Reply: 28 - 31
moosey_club
March 5, 2012, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mike502

Law 11 states that:

The player who received the ball was not active or interfering with play when his player passed the ball towards another player on his team, to be actively offside you have to be actively seeking the ball from your team mate, or looking to gain an advantage, whilst in an offside position...he was clearly not looking to receive the ball. Once Disley had intercepted the pass you have entered another phase of play.
If the pass had been intended for the striker but Disley got a toe on it then yes he would have been actively offside from the initial pass.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
gobby
March 5, 2012, 11:38am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
The ball has to be played or touched towards the player in an offside position by his own team mate. This was played away from him but was deflected back to him by Disley.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
scrumble
March 5, 2012, 1:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +986
Gold Stars: 10
The only one I got wrong was the one with the player standing in front of the keeper at a freekick. Unless I missed it, it doesn't actually state the player was in an offside position. If he's stood in front of the keeper, then surely its possible for a defender to be stood on the goal line as well.

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside rule quiz

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.