March 4, 2012, 8:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from moosey_club
100%

The issue here as some posters have admitted already is that  a good percentage of supporters dont actually understand the rules of the game they dedicate so much time to watching.
Its ludicrous.
The uproar over yesterdays decision even from the players and coaching staff never mind supporters beggars belief. There was clearly nothing wrong with the goal, the ref acted correctly both initially and after in just double checking what the assistant had seen.
What had happened was that the assistant got it wrong, not the ref.
What should be asked is why the hell do 11 professional footballers, two coaches and hundreds if not thousands of supporters not know the rules of the game they play?

Apologies for repeating what I've written on another thread, but I'm genuinely slightly bemused by this.

I'm happy to admit that I'm one of the people who does not know how the offside law is worded.  I thought that the referee had got it right, but when I looked up the laws ([url]http://tinyurl.com/czxq28u[/url]), I came to the conclusion that he got it wrong (and the linesman got it right).

Law 11 states that:
A player is in an offside position if... blah blah blah.
I think we are all agreed the player who received the ball from Disley was in an offside position.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by [blah or blah or] gaining an advantage by being in that position
He was certainly in an offside position when the ball was played by one of his team.
As "gaining an advantage by being in that position" is defined in the official interpretation of the laws as (among other things) "playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position", it seems fairly clear that he was gaining an advantage by being in that position. The only point for argument is how you define the word "rebounds".

I can happily accept that I've missed or misinterpreted something in the laws, but can anyone tell me what?  But telling me "you can't be offside unless the ball is played forwards by a team-mate" won't wash, because the laws don't say that!

Ultimately I don't care one way or the other what the "correct" decision was - the only important fact from Town's viewpoint is that the ref decided he was onside and the goal stood.  But I'd be much happier if the correct decision actually matched what was written in the Laws of the Game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
supertown
March 4, 2012, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,467
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from mike502

Apologies for repeating what I've written on another thread, but I'm genuinely slightly bemused by this.

I'm happy to admit that I'm one of the people who does not know how the offside law is worded.  I thought that the referee had got it right, but when I looked up the laws ([url]http://tinyurl.com/czxq28u[/url]), I came to the conclusion that he got it wrong (and the linesman got it right).

Law 11 states that:
I think we are all agreed the player who received the ball from Disley was in an offside position.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by [blah or blah or] gaining an advantage by being in that position
He was certainly in an offside position when the ball was played by one of his team.
As "gaining an advantage by being in that position" is defined in the official interpretation of the laws as (among other things) "playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position", it seems fairly clear that he was gaining an advantage by being in that position. The only point for argument is how you define the word "rebounds".

I can happily accept that I've missed or misinterpreted something in the laws, but can anyone tell me what?  But telling me "you can't be offside unless the ball is played forwards by a team-mate" won't wash, because the laws don't say that!

Ultimately I don't care one way or the other what the "correct" decision was - the only important fact from Town's viewpoint is that the ref decided he was onside and the goal stood.  But I'd be much happier if the correct decision actually matched what was written in the Laws of the Game.

You have missed the bit where the player has to be infront of the ball, which does actually mean he cannot be offside if it is passed backwards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
mike502
March 4, 2012, 9:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from supertown

You have missed the bit where the player has to be infront of the ball, which does actually mean he cannot be offside if it is passed backwards

No, it means he can't be offside if it is passed backwards and doesn't touch a defender.  Are you telling me that he wasn't nearer our goal-line than the ball was when his team-mate played it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
supertown
March 4, 2012, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,467
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from mike502

No, it means he can't be offside if it is passed backwards and doesn't touch a defender.  Are you telling me that he wasn't nearer our goal-line than the ball was when his team-mate played it?

im not telling you anything, i wasnt there. I was just pointing out that you missed a bit of the offside rule out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
GrimRob
March 4, 2012, 10:45pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,436
Gold Stars: 113
The problem is these are just the basic rules and are not very detailed. An additional imporant thing is an interpretation of the rules. It has been decided somewhere that "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team" does not include a ball comes off an opponent. It does not explicitly say this in the rules, or if it does I can;t see it.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 31
mike502
March 4, 2012, 10:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
The problem is these are just the basic rules and are not very detailed. An additional imporant thing is an interpretation of the rules. It has been decided somewhere that "at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team" does not include a ball comes off an opponent. It does not explicitly say this in the rules, or if it does I can;t see it.

In the pdf I linked to, the rules (50 pages or so) are followed by 75 pages of interpretation.  This is where the definition of "gaining an advantage" that I quoted comes from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
we will return
March 4, 2012, 11:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Quoted from supertown

The player was infront of the ball though, it may have been passed backwards but it still bounced through to someone in an offside position due to a pass from a player on their team.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
tashee69
March 5, 2012, 12:20am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mike502

Law 11 states that:

I think that sums up why the ref got it right. It was a backpass. The Braintree player passed the ball backwards, Disley stuck his foot out and put their player through. If we are going to penalise players for offside for putting pressure on the goalkeepers then defenses and timewasters are going to be big winners. If one of their players had put him through I'd have been very annoyed but that wasn't the case. Two points dropped just hope for something from Fleetwood.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
80sglory
March 5, 2012, 1:08am
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Technically a player cannot leave the pitch without the referees permission especially if it gains an advantageby doing so. Obviously leeway has to be given when players accidently leave the pitch eg when making a tackle or challenging for a ball.

Gotcha, cheers for explaining.
Reply: 28 - 31
moosey_club
March 5, 2012, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mike502

Law 11 states that:

The player who received the ball was not active or interfering with play when his player passed the ball towards another player on his team, to be actively offside you have to be actively seeking the ball from your team mate, or looking to gain an advantage, whilst in an offside position...he was clearly not looking to receive the ball. Once Disley had intercepted the pass you have entered another phase of play.
If the pass had been intended for the striker but Disley got a toe on it then yes he would have been actively offside from the initial pass.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside rule quiz

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.