March 4, 2012, 5:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,619
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1600

Same here, still don't understand it.

Technically a player cannot leave the pitch without the referees permission especially if it gains an advantageby doing so. Obviously leeway has to be given when players accidently leave the pitch eg when making a tackle or challenging for a ball.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2012, 5:29pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
100%, drunk it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
roundballovalhole
March 4, 2012, 5:49pm
Guest User
I think the latest changes about interfering and not interfering etc made it confusing for everyone;me; pundits, players etc
Reply: 12 - 31
gobby
March 4, 2012, 6:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from kamakazebear
75% Got confused by the keeper stepping off the pitch one!

If a defending player steps off the field of play which would in turn leave an attacking player offside and the ball is then played to the striker, he will not be flagged offside as the defending player is acting in an unsporting manner and will be treated as if he is stood on his own goal line, so no attacking player can be deemed offside! Keep smiling it gets easier
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
moosey_club
March 4, 2012, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
100%

The issue here as some posters have admitted already is that  a good percentage of supporters dont actually understand the rules of the game they dedicate so much time to watching.
Its ludicrous.
The uproar over yesterdays decision even from the players and coaching staff never mind supporters beggars belief. There was clearly nothing wrong with the goal, the ref acted correctly both initially and after in just double checking what the assistant had seen.
What had happened was that the assistant got it wrong, not the ref.
What should be asked is why the hell do 11 professional footballers, two coaches and hundreds if not thousands of supporters not know the rules of the game they play?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
lawsman
March 4, 2012, 7:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
The only argument I have is the fact that the first Braintree player who initially received the ball was coming back from an offside position which the assistant quite rightly flagged offside. Apparently the referee was able to cover every angle of the incident and was therefore able to wrongly over rule the assistant. I bet the assistant felt very well supported, if it was me I would have put the flag down and told him to do the job as he clearly felt he could do both jobs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Pontoon Steve
March 4, 2012, 8:15pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
100% can i ref next weeks match?

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
GrimRob
March 4, 2012, 8:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,436
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club
100%

The issue here as some posters have admitted already is that  a good percentage of supporters dont actually understand the rules of the game they dedicate so much time to watching.
Its ludicrous.
The uproar over yesterdays decision even from the players and coaching staff never mind supporters beggars belief. There was clearly nothing wrong with the goal, the ref acted correctly both initially and after in just double checking what the assistant had seen.
What had happened was that the assistant got it wrong, not the ref.
What should be asked is why the hell do 11 professional footballers, two coaches and hundreds if not thousands of supporters not know the rules of the game they play?

Having read a couple of referee biographies this point is raised again and again by our officials. TV commentators and pundits are particularly guility and many of their views are years out of date. Be good if they got some ex refs in the commentary box!

I'm a good example. I've read millions of words about football and watched thousands of games but I've never once read the rulebook other than to research a story on things like points deductions. My views on what offside and the other laws of football are has largely come from watching ill-informed pundits on tv. I suspect a large percentage of us have a similar background.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 31
Caveman
March 4, 2012, 8:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
I only got 25% right  but there again, I was sitting in the Pontoon at the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
moosey_club
March 4, 2012, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimRob

Having read a couple of referee biographies this point is raised again and again by our officials. TV commentators and pundits are particularly guility and many of their views are years out of date. Be good if they got some ex refs in the commentary box!

I'm a good example. I've read millions of words about football and watched thousands of games but I've never once read the rulebook other than to research a story on things like points deductions. My views on what offside and the other laws of football are has largely come from watching ill-informed pundits on tv. I suspect a large percentage of us have a similar background.

Its something that should be included as part of the f.a charter standard. Teach all young kids the rules of the game, its not as if there are lots of them is it?
Lost count of the times i have heard people shout for "backpass" when a ball is played back off the thigh of a player or "offside" when direct from a goal kick.
The Sunday League give each team a rule book every season and they used to also give out a seperate rule change guidance note as well so you could check for any rule changes for the forthcoming season. I how wonder how many players, secretaries, managers have actually read them?
Read the rules and i will guarantee that you will actually realise not all refs are rubbish, they may get things wrong as they are human but you may at least understand what they are trying to apply.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside rule quiz

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.