Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Ref!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 174 Guests

The Ref!!

This thread currently has 3,848 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 6:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Deffo deserves his own thread what a shambolic display. Miles offside whether it flicks off disley or not because there player has passed it forward to flick off disleys leg. I am trying to remember when i have ever seen a ref overule a linesman in such a way and i cant it could only happen in this bloody league. And then to disallow our goal from a corner after the keeper comes out and falls over after dropping the is unreal. The number 4 from braintree must have made at least 15!! fouls in to the back of duffy and didnt even get booked and then to sum him up he blows for full time when braintree were through on goal. A truly shocking performance totally inept and should be reported by both sides and in my opinion should never refferee again!! PS fair play to Braintree for never say die defensive display even if the idiotic ref couldnt see your tactics of taking as much time to do everything and going down injured every time you had a chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
cleemaddog
March 3, 2012, 6:07pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
From the pontoon looked like the ball was knocked sideways by Braintree then Disley knocked it towards our goal to a Braintree player that the linesman thought was offside mckeown then stood there like a lemon with his hands up a la Di canio v man u. Ever heard of play to the whistle?
On saying that the ref made some terrible decisions. Don't we always get em though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
gobby
March 3, 2012, 6:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from cleemaddog
From the pontoon looked like the ball was knocked sideways by Braintree then Disley knocked it towards our goal to a Braintree player that the linesman thought was offside mckeown then stood there like a lemon with his hands up a la Di canio v man u. Ever heard of play to the whistle?
On saying that the ref made some terrible decisions. Don't we always get em though?

This
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
March 3, 2012, 7:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from mr viv
Deffo deserves his own thread what a shambolic display. Miles offside whether it flicks off disley or not because there player has passed it forward to flick off disleys leg. I am trying to remember when i have ever seen a ref overule a linesman in such a way and i cant it could only happen in this bloody league. And then to disallow our goal from a corner after the keeper comes out and falls over after dropping the is unreal. The number 4 from braintree must have made at least 15!! fouls in to the back of duffy and didnt even get booked and then to sum him up he blows for full time when braintree were through on goal. A truly shocking performance totally inept and should be reported by both sides and in my opinion should never refferee again!! PS fair play to Braintree for never say die defensive display even if the idiotic ref couldnt see your tactics of taking as much time to do everything and going down injured every time you had a chance

The goal that we had disallowed was because of an obvious handball by one of our players.
Reply: 3 - 42
Biccys
March 3, 2012, 7:20pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
AND he didn't have white flashes on the top of his socks. Disgraceful...RUINED my match day experience I can tell you.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 42
hook line and sinker
March 3, 2012, 7:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
where to start

1) he didn't understand the advantage rule and far too many times he could of let the game flow he was pulling the play back and a free kick was awarded

2) the offside decision was a shocker, i personally just sat back watched there players and ours play on thinking they haven't seen the flag go up too then the ball go in the net and the ref give the GOAL!!!! couldn't believe it tbh also bad sportsmanship from there players for this incident and all match diving and fouling is all the seemed too do and was a poor footballing side imo.

3) disallowing the 2nd goal for a reason im still unaware of???

4)then too put the nail in the coffin he blew for full time when they was on the attack outnumbering us in our own area a very likely goal scoring opportunity

this guy should never be allowed too referee at any level let alone ours
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
barralad
March 3, 2012, 7:49pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
The way both sets of players converged on him at the end of the game suggests that he didn't make either side very happy. I sit in the Pontoon so try to avoid making comments about offside but the number of times he didn't play the advantage was unreal.

Their player that felled Townsend(?) in the first half with a very obvious elbow can count himself extremely lucky to have seen out all 90 minutes and supremely lucky not to get a card of any colour given some of the decisions made later.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
jimbo22
March 3, 2012, 7:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Sick of having such poor referee's at Blundell Park. When that ball was played by the Braintree player there forward was at least 10 yards offside, the linesman duely put his flag up, but the referee was determined to give that goal. urine pure official.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2012, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
What about Cambridge away when the Ref overuled himself and did not give us a penalty! Did not even need a lineman then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 8:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
What about Cambridge away when the Ref overuled himself and did not give us a penalty! Did not even need a lineman then.

oh ye forgot bout that!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
March 3, 2012, 8:50pm
Guest User
Thought the Ref was very poor, but the one decision he got right was their goal ! ..... there was nothing wrong with it.
What really baffles me is the amount of elbows flying around once the ref gave a foul i expected a card but nothing given ???? very poor for both sides i must add
Reply: 10 - 42
Marmite
March 3, 2012, 9:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Poor ref however player was onside for where I was sat. When the club release the footage I'm sure that it will show that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 10:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marmite
Poor ref however player was onside for where I was sat. When the club release the footage I'm sure that it will show that.

Was onside due to what? it coming of disley? cos if your saying he was in a onside position you are crazy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Les Brechin
March 3, 2012, 10:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Not sure if I imagined it but I seem to have seen the incident slightly differently. When the ball came off Disley and went to their player who was offside, the linesman didn't raise his flag. Their player then played the ball to a team mate who was onside, which was  the point when the linesman raised his flag. All our players stopped but they carried on and scored.

Whatever the circumstance though and whether it was correct or not, you play to the whistle and no whistle came,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 10:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Not sure if I imagined it but I seem to have seen the incident slightly differently. When the ball came off Disley and went to their player who was offside, the linesman didn't raise his flag. Their player then played the ball to a team mate who was onside, which was  the point when the linesman raised his flag. All our players stopped but they carried on and scored.

Whatever the circumstance though and whether it was correct or not, you play to the whistle and no whistle came,

You got it so wrong les. I was dead in line right behind the lino and as soon as the lad who played the scorer in received the ball he flagged. The lad was at least 5yrds offside at least. I must admit i was unaware it may have come of disley but your right to say the goalscorer was yards onside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Les Brechin
March 3, 2012, 10:44pm

Just seen the highlights and the ref was correct.

The ball came off Disley from a Braintree player who was playing the ball AWAY from goal, not forward. It hit Disley and went to the offside player. The player he then played the ball to was clearly onside.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
EY Mariner
March 3, 2012, 10:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Having reviewed the Braintree goal, I don't think there's any question the scorer was onside when the ball was played towards him. However, by the time he touches the ball he appears to be in an offside position and I suspect that is what caused the linesman's confusion. You have to say the right decision was made in the end, but 99 times out of 100, that flag stays up regardless.

Overall, the referee started OK for me, but lost the plot after the Braintree goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Poojah
March 3, 2012, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,672
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from EY Mariner
Having reviewed the Braintree goal, I don't think there's any question the scorer was onside when the ball was played towards him. However, by the time he touches the ball he appears to be in an offside position and I suspect that is what caused the linesman's confusion. You have to say the right decision was made in the end, but 99 times out of 100, that flag stays up regardless.

Overall, the referee started OK for me, but lost the plot after the Braintree goal.

I think it was more to do with the fact that the man who played the ball to the goalscorer was obviously 6 or 7 yards offside. I was convinced at the time, along with everyone else around me, that the referee had made a fúck up of gargantuan proportions, however having seen it again on the highlights it would appear he was spot on.

A Braintree midfielder attempts to play the ball sideways, not towards the man in an offside position, only for Disley to completely change the direction of the ball and send it through to the guy who was, in positional terms, well offside. It didn't just scuff Disley, as suggested on the radio, he effectively played it through.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
EY Mariner
March 3, 2012, 11:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
I would say the ball just hit Disley. He certainly doesn't appear to me to intentionally play the ball in that direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 11:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from EY Mariner
I would say the ball just hit Disley. He certainly doesn't appear to me to intentionally play the ball in that direction.

So whats your point then mate?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
BlackBoots
March 3, 2012, 11:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from EY Mariner

but that has no relevance to the decision which was 100% correct
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Credit were credits due! i suppose it does make you realise how difficult a job refs do have as nearly all the ground were screaming at him for what appeared an horrific overule of his assistant. It doesnt disguise the rest of his performance which was as usual poor but that was a big decission and fair play to him under massive pressure he was 100% right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
gobby
March 4, 2012, 4:30am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Biccys
AND he didn't have white flashes on the top of his socks. Disgraceful...RUINED my match day experience I can tell you.

If your gunna wear white collar shirts you got to match it with white topped socks, it is so chav like not to! Down marked by 10. but made them back up with the goal scored.   but still was weak.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
Havelock the Dane
March 4, 2012, 7:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -5
The rules state that the defender who knocks the ball backwards has to have control of the ball. If it hits him and goes to an offside  player then it is offside. So eymariner is the only one who knows the rules. Most of you don't and neither does the ref. No goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
mr viv
March 4, 2012, 8:17am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Havelock the Dane
The rules state that the defender who knocks the ball backwards has to have control of the ball. If it hits him and goes to an offside  player then it is offside. So eymariner is the only one who knows the rules. Most of you don't and neither does the ref. No goal.

Soz mate as much as i wish you was right there s no way in the world that the ball just hit disley. He clearly plays it back towards our goal therfor there is no way he could be offside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Les Brechin
March 4, 2012, 8:22am

That's a new one on me. Do yo have proof that this is the rule. I didn't thnk opposing players are even mentioned in the offside rule.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2012, 8:38am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,259
Gold Stars: 102
Can I just get something off my chest once and for all... It is the flipping LAWS of the game not the rules. That's the pedant in me assuaged for this Sunday morning.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Havelock the Dane
March 4, 2012, 8:42am
Table Wine Drinker
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1207871.html

Well, here's a thread on the topic - one of several I found. Although the FIFA laws themselves don't seem so sure...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
Havelock the Dane
March 4, 2012, 8:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Sorry, Imp, changed my post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
springstomind
March 5, 2012, 9:01am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Appears as he consulted what he ha seen with the version of events with the linesman they got it right. Have to play to the whistle though McKeown was absolutely monging it haha
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
bladerunnner
March 5, 2012, 9:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
this is what happens when you gets refs that do games in front of 400 fans at the likes of hayes,braintree,ebbsfleet..........................and fleetwood.
they come to a ground like ours and are like rabbits in the headlights, its to much pressure for some of them,i could tell by the refs body language on Saturday that he knew he'd fuked up,we got every decision  after that,and he even blew when their lad  was clean through at the end,you always let a passage of play get seen out even if its right into extra time,that's why their players were also livid with the clown.

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
Les Brechin
March 5, 2012, 10:03am

Quoted from bladerunnner
this is what happens when you gets refs that do games in front of 400 fans at the likes of hayes,braintree,ebbsfleet..........................and fleetwood.
they come to a ground like ours and are like rabbits in the headlights, its to much pressure for some of them,i could tell by the refs body language on Saturday that he knew he'd fuked up,we got every decision  after that,and he even blew when their lad  was clean through at the end,you always let a passage of play get seen out even if its right into extra time,that's why their players were also livid with the clown.

If he knew he'd copulated up, surely he would have allowed Duffy's goal to stand. Although the ref was poor throughout he did get their goal correct.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
bladerunnner
March 5, 2012, 10:51am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +22 / -10
Quoted from Les Brechin

If he knew he'd copulated up, surely he would have allowed Duffy's goal to stand. Although the ref was poor throughout he did get their goal correct.

les,we didn't deserve owt from the game on our first half showing alone,that said the ref should seriously look at his decisions for both teams,they are ruining games at the moment.
iv'e reffed games myself ,and l;et me tell you its hard work to get every decision correct,but blowing up when someone is one on one with the keeper! well what can you say?
what i would be most concerned about if i was in charge of the team is why did we only look up for it when they went a goal up?
we are in a good position at the right time of the season,we have to forget the reffing situations and win games without relying on these kind of things.

irony................its a bit like brassy,only made from iron!   (baldrick,blackadder)
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
Havelock the Dane
March 5, 2012, 5:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

No he didn't, Les

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
lawsman
March 5, 2012, 5:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
He blew up for full time because time was up. It does not matter where play is if time is up then you blow.
If memory serves me right did not a referee blow for full time when the ball was in the air from a taken corner, and all the players and managers from both sides villified him. As the law states " the game is played in 2 equal halfs of 45 minutes"  so if time was up that's it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Les Brechin
March 5, 2012, 5:38pm

No he didn't, Les

Well the overwhelming consensus from every single qualified referee I have spoken to or who have posted on here since the incident, is that it was the correct decision.

It can be argued forever whether it was right or wrong but at the end of the day the players were as much to blame as anyone for not playing to the whistle. It's gone now though so no point dwelling on it anymore.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Havelock the Dane
March 5, 2012, 8:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
That much is certainly true. There's not a lot we can do about it now.

(It wasn't a goal though  )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Les Brechin
March 5, 2012, 8:14pm

That much is certainly true. There's not a lot we can do about it now.

(It wasn't a goal though  )

Errm yes, it WAS a goal. That's one thing there's no denying.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
marinerian
March 6, 2012, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
The rule shiuld be.....if you are offside,then you are offside.

By allowing interpretation you enable a process of thought in which the rule can be viewed differently by 2 people.

Who ever came up with this recent offside rule is an idiot of the highest order!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Les Brechin
March 6, 2012, 10:12am

Quoted from marinerian
The rule shiuld be.....if you are offside,then you are offside.

By allowing interpretation you enable a process of thought in which the rule can be viewed differently by 2 people.

Who ever came up with this recent offside rule is an idiot of the highest order!

As the late, great Brian Clough once said.."If he's not interfering with play, then what the hell is he doing on the pitch"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
marinerian
March 6, 2012, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from Les Brechin

As the late, great Brian Clough once said.."If he's not interfering with play, then what the hell is he doing on the pitch"

Pmsl......that is a quote of a genius  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
RoboCod
March 6, 2012, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Just to muddy clarify the position more...

It was only a few weeks ago (the game with the female ref) that Duffy did the same thing, came running back from an offside position with his arms up but the lino that day ALSO flagged him, as Saturdays did. Lord knows what would have happened had the flag stayed up but an opposition player then deflected it to Duffy and he then made a pass to set up a goal. By Saturdays ruling this would have stood as a goal but under  the woman refs ruling, who blew up for the infringement, it wouldn't have stood.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
arryarryarry
March 6, 2012, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
The actual offside law is quite simple it states how a player is in an offside position but it is then down to the interpretation of the referee to decide is the player interfering with play or trying to gain an advantage.

I assume that at the time the Braintree player played the ball away from the Town goal he wasn't interfering with play, he became active once the ball was played towards the Town goal by Disley.

But as Les mentioned and exactly the same as I was told on a referees course (some time ago) if he isn't interferring with play what's he doing on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Ref!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.