Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Ref!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 133 Guests

The Ref!!

This thread currently has 3,846 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
March 3, 2012, 8:50pm
Guest User
Thought the Ref was very poor, but the one decision he got right was their goal ! ..... there was nothing wrong with it.
What really baffles me is the amount of elbows flying around once the ref gave a foul i expected a card but nothing given ???? very poor for both sides i must add
Reply: 10 - 42
Marmite
March 3, 2012, 9:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Poor ref however player was onside for where I was sat. When the club release the footage I'm sure that it will show that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 10:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Quoted from Marmite
Poor ref however player was onside for where I was sat. When the club release the footage I'm sure that it will show that.

Was onside due to what? it coming of disley? cos if your saying he was in a onside position you are crazy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Les Brechin
March 3, 2012, 10:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Not sure if I imagined it but I seem to have seen the incident slightly differently. When the ball came off Disley and went to their player who was offside, the linesman didn't raise his flag. Their player then played the ball to a team mate who was onside, which was  the point when the linesman raised his flag. All our players stopped but they carried on and scored.

Whatever the circumstance though and whether it was correct or not, you play to the whistle and no whistle came,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 10:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
Not sure if I imagined it but I seem to have seen the incident slightly differently. When the ball came off Disley and went to their player who was offside, the linesman didn't raise his flag. Their player then played the ball to a team mate who was onside, which was  the point when the linesman raised his flag. All our players stopped but they carried on and scored.

Whatever the circumstance though and whether it was correct or not, you play to the whistle and no whistle came,

You got it so wrong les. I was dead in line right behind the lino and as soon as the lad who played the scorer in received the ball he flagged. The lad was at least 5yrds offside at least. I must admit i was unaware it may have come of disley but your right to say the goalscorer was yards onside.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
Les Brechin
March 3, 2012, 10:44pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Just seen the highlights and the ref was correct.

The ball came off Disley from a Braintree player who was playing the ball AWAY from goal, not forward. It hit Disley and went to the offside player. The player he then played the ball to was clearly onside.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
EY Mariner
March 3, 2012, 10:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Having reviewed the Braintree goal, I don't think there's any question the scorer was onside when the ball was played towards him. However, by the time he touches the ball he appears to be in an offside position and I suspect that is what caused the linesman's confusion. You have to say the right decision was made in the end, but 99 times out of 100, that flag stays up regardless.

Overall, the referee started OK for me, but lost the plot after the Braintree goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Poojah
March 3, 2012, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,672
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from EY Mariner
Having reviewed the Braintree goal, I don't think there's any question the scorer was onside when the ball was played towards him. However, by the time he touches the ball he appears to be in an offside position and I suspect that is what caused the linesman's confusion. You have to say the right decision was made in the end, but 99 times out of 100, that flag stays up regardless.

Overall, the referee started OK for me, but lost the plot after the Braintree goal.

I think it was more to do with the fact that the man who played the ball to the goalscorer was obviously 6 or 7 yards offside. I was convinced at the time, along with everyone else around me, that the referee had made a fúck up of gargantuan proportions, however having seen it again on the highlights it would appear he was spot on.

A Braintree midfielder attempts to play the ball sideways, not towards the man in an offside position, only for Disley to completely change the direction of the ball and send it through to the guy who was, in positional terms, well offside. It didn't just scuff Disley, as suggested on the radio, he effectively played it through.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
EY Mariner
March 3, 2012, 11:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
I would say the ball just hit Disley. He certainly doesn't appear to me to intentionally play the ball in that direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
mr viv
March 3, 2012, 11:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from EY Mariner
I would say the ball just hit Disley. He certainly doesn't appear to me to intentionally play the ball in that direction.

So whats your point then mate?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Ref!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.