Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our achilles heel needs sorting once and for all
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 120 Guests

Our achilles heel needs sorting once and for all

This thread currently has 2,640 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
jimbo22
February 25, 2012, 9:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
One of the main reasons we was getting deep was the fact our target man wasn't winning anything up top and holding the play up which would have given the defence an opportunity to push up, there defence had it too easy today and could simply win it and knock it forward pushing us back.

Thought we also missed Miller, been a leader when i've seem him play and talked to the back line and pushed us up, but thats not to say Pearson and Ianson  didn't play well, just young and lack the experience. But saying that York didn't really put us under that much pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
denni266
February 25, 2012, 9:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +704
Gold Stars: 132
all in all we have lost twice in 20 odd games .. but in the cup   not in the league where it matters more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
bradzmilne
February 25, 2012, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from denni266
all in all we have lost twice in 20 odd games .. but in the cup   not in the league where it matters more

Exactly

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
ticker_1610
February 25, 2012, 9:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -6
I hope Soares provides more width when needed, as I do believe we are short of effective pace outwide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
Chris
February 25, 2012, 9:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Its not that much of an Achilles heel or it hasn't been for the past 20 odd games anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
80sglory
February 25, 2012, 9:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from Super Clive
Unless they get told to by the managers I don't know why they do it every game, it invites pressure and makes the crowd nervous.

"Protect what you've got" mentality I guess mate.
Completely understandable but the right option ?

Quoted from pontoonlew
I mentioned today that we were too deep, but I don't agree that it's always the case. It was noticeable today though but when your playing against a team who try to counter as often as they can with 2 good quick attacking wingers you have to stay deep or your going to get caught out. Especially as we're lacking in pace with Pearson and Silk at the back.

Very good point IMO see what you mean, but you could argue we got caught out anyway ?

But I agree you're right, not easy when you're up against pace - what can you do ?

I just think you're better off MAKING them attack you from 50/60 yards out and ask them to PROVE IT than drop back and arguably give them a helping hand.

Don't really want to criticize the team but intercourse it (sometimes it's for the best), so I'm gonna say this too....

Seems to me it's not just defence.  
Seen a few games this season with players fairly static, lack of movement whatever.
Then we lose the ball and it's like they ALL love nothing better than to sprint back as fast and as far back as they can.
Why aren't they as keen to run like mad to run forward or close down the opposition man in front of them ?

That's my impression anyway - too keen to run back, not keen enough to go forward.

I just think there's enough long-term room for improvement that we could be laughing.

To be clear I don't really blame Scott and Hurst cos I see it as a psychological issue with the players (for whatever reason).
Reply: 15 - 29
80sglory
February 25, 2012, 10:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chris
Its not that much of an Achilles heel or it hasn't been for the past 20 odd games anyway.

Maybe so but most of the teams we've played haven't been as good as York.
If we can't beat the better teams we're not going up, simple as that.

But yeah, players out but coming back, it's not that I'm not still hopeful, I am !

Just think plan should be to step up to the next level and be BETTER than York, BETTER than Luton...
It's not as if we can't be.
Reply: 16 - 29
Biccys
February 25, 2012, 10:18pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
I completely agree that we defend too deep 80's. t's bizarrely not the defence that do though, it's the midfield. Many time today, the 2 CB's and the 2 CM's were within 15 yards of each other. I even remarked it to Civvy at HT and he was talking to an old boy in the Findus bar before I got there and had said the exact same thing too. When Thanoj OR Disley gave the defence that extra 5-6 yards, they were able to pick up any clearance that the CB's made and ease the pressure by gaining possession again. When they didn't we looked very short manned going out from defensive situations.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 29
80sglory
February 25, 2012, 10:30pm
Guest User
Good point Biccy's - at least try to stand your ground and be an outlet !

You see that's also why I'm not keen on attackers defending set pieces - we clear it and who's there to hold the ball up ?
Sometimes no-one.
Reply: 18 - 29
Biccys
February 25, 2012, 10:46pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Exactly. You're right, you CAN have too many defending at any one time. It does lead to confusion sometimes when players leave it to each other whereas if there's nobody to leave it to it gets dealt with. Elding however is one I DO like seeing back there helping out. He's a big lump who is decent  the air and can give valuable experience to the very youthful defence.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our achilles heel needs sorting once and for all

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.