Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stranglers at Lincoln 15th March.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 170 Guests

Stranglers at Lincoln 15th March.

This thread currently has 4,945 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
February 16, 2012, 11:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Just gone back and read it Les...

Seems like it wasn't stage managed then?

Jean Jacques Burnel offered a bunch of local louts 'out'

I remember it was either JJB or Hugh Cornwell saying you either listen to us or we'll go across the road and take you on on the beach!

What a night....I bet this year's Jubilee "celebrations" are a bit calmer though

One of the first on stage was a well known Town "Lad" from that era. I can assure anyone that JJ Burnel didn't use a guitar to fend anyone off. I found out later that he was an adherent of some sort of martial art.  He drop kicked said Town "Lad" and I'm afraid he went down like a sack of spuds.
Mayhem ensued and it's fair to say the band gave as good as they got for a while.

Just another normal Gardens gig night really...

A few years later they were booked again but called the gig off claiming "security issues".

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
barralad
February 16, 2012, 11:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,298
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from moss_side_mariner
I was a bit young fot the pistols gig. The first gig i went to was the skids, brilliant night. SLF end of next month in manchester and 999 and G.B.H. at yardbirds to relive my youth

The skids were awesome that night. Circus Games is one of my favourite songs of all time...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
LeightonMariner
February 17, 2012, 11:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Cleethorpes winter gardens should be remembered for Northern Soul and the bags ball.  Nothing else.  

When in doubt, start a conspiracy theory  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Helgy
February 17, 2012, 3:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from Les Brechin

Is it at The Engine Shed mate.

Not their biggest fan, more of an SLF, Skids, Buzzcocks fan myself but may pop along, though I would think it would sell out rather quickly. How many of the original line up are still with them?

Been a Stranglers ,SLF fan forever lol.Went to the Winter Gardens to see Stranglers and it was called off as the stage was too small for the keyboard?
Then went to see SLF on a cold winters night,my mates bike got a puncture just before the wolds,so it was two up on a ER50 10 mph up some of the hills lol,got there and the gig had been switched date was in NME but i never bought it because the yused to slag off the Stranglers.
3 out of the 4 are still there Jet Black is 72,JJ has just reached 60 frightning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
moss_side_mariner
February 18, 2012, 7:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Ithink the mariners should come out to NO MORE HEROES, INTO THE VALLEY or GO FOR IT. (sorry, non football thread)

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Helgy
February 18, 2012, 9:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

One of the first on stage was a well known Town "Lad" from that era. I can assure anyone that JJ Burnel didn't use a guitar to fend anyone off. I found out later that he was an adherent of some sort of martial art.  He drop kicked said Town "Lad" and I'm afraid he went down like a sack of spuds.
Mayhem ensued and it's fair to say the band gave as good as they got for a while.

Just another normal Gardens gig night really...

A few years later they were booked again but called the gig off claiming "security issues".

JJ is now 6th dan at Shidokan Karate Kickboxing

http://www.shidokan.org.uk/

Goes to Japan every year to be taught by the master Yoshiji Soeno and JJ has his own dojo in London.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
RoboCod
February 20, 2012, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Helgy

Been a Stranglers ,SLF fan forever lol.Went to the Winter Gardens to see Stranglers and it was called off as the stage was too small for the keyboard?

I was in the queue for that one. Big let down, never knew exactly why it was called off. Still got the scarf from the street trader outside though

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
Helgy
February 22, 2012, 8:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

I was in the queue for that one. Big let down, never knew exactly why it was called off. Still got the scarf from the street trader outside though

I remember it was a foggy night queing for my refund and drunk off  the gig had been called off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
I believe in Cod
February 23, 2012, 10:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
saw The Stranglers at the Engine Shed a few year ago, was a great gig and a great venue, well impressed. My favourite band.

Enjoy

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
Helgy
March 16, 2012, 9:19am
Fine Wine Drinker
I actually saw a premiership performance last night in Lincoln,best gig of the tour so far.How these guys have been ignored by the music world beggars belief.
No tickets on sale on the night and this gig showed my why i love this band so much.
Finished with Tank instead of Heroes and it was powerful way to end the gig,the crowd loved the performance last night.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stranglers at Lincoln 15th March.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.