Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stranglers at Lincoln 15th March.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 174 Guests

Stranglers at Lincoln 15th March.

This thread currently has 4,941 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
February 15, 2012, 5:25pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Just done a little research - It was 20th December 1976 when The Sex Pistols played The Winter Gardens and I found this below on a Stranglers fans forum.

Quoted Text
23.6.77 Cleethorpes Winter Gardens "The Battle Of Cleethorpes" - Replaced Bracknell Sports Centre
Cold fuckin day a lot of shy punks around, well i lie four or five in the late afternoon! the Stranglers in Cleethorpes
a few beers in a local pub before the doors open.
The crowd is a mixture of punks, hippies and local boys who are not interested in the band, a very nasty ambience that has every one on edge.
The gig is a shambles I remember Grip, and maybe Burning up time and Bitching! Before the stage invasion and the violence
I was under a table out of the way as bottles and glasses smashed and it got real nasty!
Not long after at the Roundhouse no fornicators messed with us! - Carl Greenwold

Sounds like a good night was had by all, but again, just a bit too early for me.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
nickmariners
February 15, 2012, 11:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
[quote=618]Just done a little research - It was 20th December 1976 when The Sex Pistols played The Winter Gardens .

I was there, and Pistols was a terrific gig - hastily arranged because first-choice venues had scrapped most of the "Anarchy in the UK" Tour.  The first date of that tour was meant to be at my university, but the Bill Grundy swear-fest a few days before put paid to that.  Imagine my surprise (!) to return home for my Christmas vac and to discover that they were on at the Gardens -- who, by the way, I bet were clueless about who and what the Pistols were at the time, despite the national press coverage.

I got my ear pierced that morning especially, as you do (Pailthorps), and strode into the Gardens in a black plastic bin liner shirt, only to find I had to prove my local-ness to a bunch of Town hoolies who were anxious to scrap with the bus-load of the Bromley Contingent punk fans who were following the tour.  At first they took me for one, but I smooved my way out of that. Sid Vicious was one of the visiting punk fans, as was Jordan, the iconic girl-punk.   I spent about 15 minutes talking to Malcolm Maclaren and Bernie Rhodes in the bar overlooking the dance floor. I was more thrilled than they were at our conversation.

After the gig (inc support by The Clash, and Johnny Thunders), I was at a party upstairs (thrown by a lass from Girl's Grammar -- nothing to do with gig -- in fact I got into gig for free because of my invitataion to party - wah-hee)>  Johnny Rotten was sprawled across the small staircase, and I started blabbing off about what a shame it was that my university had cancelled the Pistols, and how sorry I was that so many boot boys had shown up at the Gardens.

He just looked up at me, yawned, and said "why don't you f... off?"   Brilliant!   Entirely historic concert -- right in our own backyard.

Re Stranglers gig -- I have it on good authority that Jean Jacques Burnel offered a bunch of local louts 'out' (most were well-known Town followers) -- and they accepted - storming the stage while Burnel fended 'em off with his Fender.  Rock 'n Roll.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Les Brechin
February 16, 2012, 9:41am

Quoted from nickmariners
I was there, and Pistols was a terrific gig - hastily arranged because first-choice venues had scrapped most of the "Anarchy in the UK" Tour.  The first date of that tour was meant to be at my university, but the Bill Grundy swear-fest a few days before put paid to that.  Imagine my surprise (!) to return home for my Christmas vac and to discover that they were on at the Gardens -- who, by the way, I bet were clueless about who and what the Pistols were at the time, despite the national press coverage.

I got my ear pierced that morning especially, as you do (Pailthorps), and strode into the Gardens in a black plastic bin liner shirt, only to find I had to prove my local-ness to a bunch of Town hoolies who were anxious to scrap with the bus-load of the Bromley Contingent punk fans who were following the tour.  At first they took me for one, but I smooved my way out of that. Sid Vicious was one of the visiting punk fans, as was Jordan, the iconic girl-punk.   I spent about 15 minutes talking to Malcolm Maclaren and Bernie Rhodes in the bar overlooking the dance floor. I was more thrilled than they were at our conversation.

After the gig (inc support by The Clash, and Johnny Thunders), I was at a party upstairs (thrown by a lass from Girl's Grammar -- nothing to do with gig -- in fact I got into gig for free because of my invitataion to party - wah-hee)>  Johnny Rotten was sprawled across the small staircase, and I started blabbing off about what a shame it was that my university had cancelled the Pistols, and how sorry I was that so many boot boys had shown up at the Gardens.

He just looked up at me, yawned, and said "why don't you f... off?"   Brilliant!   Entirely historic concert -- right in our own backyard.

Re Stranglers gig -- I have it on good authority that Jean Jacques Burnel offered a bunch of local louts 'out' (most were well-known Town followers) -- and they accepted - storming the stage while Burnel fended 'em off with his Fender.  Rock 'n Roll.

Ha ha, great story Nick.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
ginnywings
February 16, 2012, 11:05am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I was at both gigs but left the Sex Pistols one after the Clash finished and went back to the Lifeboat.Next day i learned that a lad i worked with launched his lighter at Johnny Rotten and hit him on the head.

The Stranglers gig was mayhem but enjoyable in a young and excited kind of way.

In those days i went to the gardens every week,no matter who was playing.Didn't particularly like punk rock but some of the bands were pretty good.Skids were excellent,but not strictly a punk band really.

Undertones were good too.Feargal Sharkey had a parker on and by the end of the gig it was covered in spit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Les Brechin
February 16, 2012, 12:19pm

Quoted from ginnywings
I was at both gigs but left the Sex Pistols one after the Clash finished and went back to the Lifeboat.Next day i learned that a lad i worked with launched his lighter at Johnny Rotten and hit him on the head.

The Stranglers gig was mayhem but enjoyable in a young and excited kind of way.

In those days i went to the gardens every week,no matter who was playing.Didn't particularly like punk rock but some of the bands were pretty good.Skids were excellent,but not strictly a punk band really.

Undertones were good too.Feargal Sharkey had a parker on and by the end of the gig it was covered in spit.

I didn't start going to the Gardens regularly till 79 and they were still getting plenty decent bands there. Stiff Little Fingers (my favourite live band), UK Subs, The Ruts etc all played there at one point or another. I remember getting a bollocking of my mum for dyeing my hair green when I went to a Subs gig. Saw them again only a couple of years ago in GY and Charlie Harper is still going strong.

I remember going to The Central Hall in Duncombe St too. Saw the Angelic Upstart, The Cockney Reject and Spizz there.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
FishOutOfWater
February 16, 2012, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from nickmariners
Anyone rememberThe  Stranglers at the Winter Gardens?  I was working abroad at the time, but I hear that it was even more 'interactive' than the Sex Pistols when they appeared there.  Which I did attend.

I saw the Stranglers at the Winter Gardens in '77 it must have been

One hell of a scrap broke out with people climbing on to the stage to have a go at the group who retaliated with smacking those brave or stupid enough to get up there with their guitars

The drum kit got kicked about and the band walked off and refused to come back out until things calmed down but after that they gave a great performance

To this day I don't know if it was all stage managed or whether the fight between the band and the audience was actually legit...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 33
Les Brechin
February 16, 2012, 1:21pm

Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I saw the Stranglers at the Winter Gardens in '77 it must have been

One hell of a scrap broke out with people climbing on to the stage to have a go at the group who retaliated with smacking those brave or stupid enough to get up there with their guitars

The drum kit got kicked about and the band walked off and refused to come back out until things calmed down but after that they gave a great performance

To this day I don't know if it was all stage managed or whether the fight between the band and the audience was actually legit...

See my post No 10 on the previous page for some details re that Stranglers gig.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
FishOutOfWater
February 16, 2012, 1:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

See my post No 10 on the previous page for some details re that Stranglers gig.

Just gone back and read it Les...

Seems like it wasn't stage managed then?

Jean Jacques Burnel offered a bunch of local louts 'out'

I remember it was either JJB or Hugh Cornwell saying you either listen to us or we'll go across the road and take you on on the beach!

What a night....I bet this year's Jubilee "celebrations" are a bit calmer though
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 33
danny pacquiao
February 16, 2012, 5:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJvY91G340c

Just found this interesting to have a look at, look north looking at sex pistols gig at winters garden
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
moss_side_mariner
February 16, 2012, 7:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
I was a bit young fot the pistols gig. The first gig i went to was the skids, brilliant night. SLF end of next month in manchester and 999 and G.B.H. at yardbirds to relive my youth

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stranglers at Lincoln 15th March.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.