grimsby pete
October 7, 2011, 1:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jock dock tower
It's obvious by a lot of the postings on this subject that many of the forum users never saw Bobby Cumming play. He was the hardest footballer I've ever seen, and am ever likely to see. It goes without saying that his legendary status at BP made him the hate figure for all the travelling Yorkie clubs when they came down en masse. Although he was hard as nails, he was skillful too, and equally at home at left back, where he probably invented the overlapping full back role, left of midfield - so often a problematic area, or up front where I think he was top scorer for us one season. There was nothing he couldn't do, and my fondest memory of him was going off injured in a League Cup tie and BP against Huddersfield with a gaping head wound and blood all over the place, then coming back on 5 minutes later only to score the winning goal with a diving header. Pure majesty.......
A measure of the man as well was that you never, ever, heard any Town fan have a bad word to say about him. Off the pitch he was as quiet and unassuming guy as you could ever hope to meet. Thanks for the memories Bobby. Pity the Clarke and Hunter incidents aren't on video for posterity's sake.

Fully agree with all of that Jock.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 110
Worzel Gummidge
October 7, 2011, 2:00pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Pouts... tripple step-overs, own goals from the half way line, overhead kick penalty area clearances, lunging high tackles (always designed to miss, but scare), big engine and bigger heart. We'd never have gone down to League 2 if we hadn't sold him. He clearly didn't want to leave, he even turned up and paid to watch several of our matches that season when Gillingham didn't have a game..  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 110
RonMariner
October 7, 2011, 2:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jock dock tower
It's obvious by a lot of the postings on this subject that many of the forum users never saw Bobby Cumming play. He was the hardest footballer I've ever seen, and am ever likely to see. It goes without saying that his legendary status at BP made him the hate figure for all the travelling Yorkie clubs when they came down en masse. Although he was hard as nails, he was skillful too, and equally at home at left back, where he probably invented the overlapping full back role, left of midfield - so often a problematic area, or up front where I think he was top scorer for us one season. There was nothing he couldn't do, and my fondest memory of him was going off injured in a League Cup tie and BP against Huddersfield with a gaping head wound and blood all over the place, then coming back on 5 minutes later only to score the winning goal with a diving header. Pure majesty.......
A measure of the man as well was that you never, ever, heard any Town fan have a bad word to say about him. Off the pitch he was as quiet and unassuming guy as you could ever hope to meet. Thanks for the memories Bobby. Pity the Clarke and Hunter incidents aren't on video for posterity's sake.

A true legend, and I would add Joe Waters to this very select list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 110
Pontoon Steve
October 7, 2011, 2:22pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Bobby (break your legs) Cummings
Little Joe Waters.
Nigel ( i need a shave) Batch

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 110
RoboCod
October 7, 2011, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Good to see the topic turning to those magical early eighties. Who went to the the Hull v Town game in 1980 at their place? Anyone remember Joe Waters decking one of their players after Bobby C was sent flying after a horrible challenge? I've never met anyone who went and can't believe it was just a dream.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 110
fulham gy
October 7, 2011, 2:44pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Futcher - Legend.

More recent - Coyne
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 110
mariner paul
October 7, 2011, 2:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +30
the best for me super clive mendonca  and the worst while were at it peter begrie utter male masturbator
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 110
MyDogsThoughts
October 7, 2011, 2:58pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Just remembered Doug Collins (how could I have forgotten him?): sold to Burnley but turned up at mid-week away games for years afterwards, a great player and a great bloke too.

We've had some true greats at GREAT GRIMSBY.

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 110
marinerian
October 7, 2011, 3:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Quoted from mariner paul
the worst while were at it peter begrie utter male masturbator

Can we put that name into the swear filter please Biccys/Rob?

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 110
mariner83
October 7, 2011, 3:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Alan Pouton
Danny Coyne
Phile Jevons
Livvo
Super Clive
John McDermott
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 89 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Town player you loved the most

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.