This thread currently has 18,563 views. Print
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerian
October 7, 2011, 10:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
How did I forget Oster oh and Handyside....christ we had some great players in the past  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 110
grimsby pete
October 7, 2011, 10:57am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221

My top three are,

Bobby Cumming  

Ron Rafferty

Matt Tees

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 110
cmackenzie4
October 7, 2011, 12:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RoboCod
Joe Waters. Best.Captain. Ever.

Same for me Robo,my childhood hero was Joe Waters,Trevor Whymark comes a close 2nd.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 110
topuphere666
October 7, 2011, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
all time favorite player for me is Kingsley Black, but also have soft spots for Galli, and Mendonca!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 110
big_mozzer
October 7, 2011, 12:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / -9
Martin Butler...

Where there is a Will, There is a Way                      

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 110
gary_elton
October 7, 2011, 12:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from big_mozzer
Martin Butler...

thanks for that... made me laff loudly almost spilt my tea...  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 110
RoboCod
October 7, 2011, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from gary_elton

thanks for that... made me laff loudly almost spilt my tea...  

Made me laugh so much I hurt my back !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 110
Chris
October 7, 2011, 1:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Paul Agnew.

Then more recently Danny Coyne and Phil Jevons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 110
FishOutOfWater
October 7, 2011, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Poor Bobby Mitchell - the latter day boo boy who was then replaced by Phil Bonnyman who the fans loved equally little.  Bobby looked pale against an all action hero like Joe Waters (my childhood hero) but I often wonder about the fact that George played him week in week out.  Joe was captain and must have felt Bobby was the right foil for him.  We loved to moan at him though!!

Hence the winky smiley thing mate

I know at the time Bobby Mitchell was the one who brought on most of the moans and groans from the crowd but as you said he was part of a team that played some of the best stuff I've seen from a Town team so he can't have been all bad....

I'd like to think it was just that the rest of the lads around him were soooo good he looked average and in reality he was a pretty good foil for Joe W

One thing that sticks in my mind with him though was seeing Trevor Whymark bustle him out of the way when he was dithering in the penalty area and Trev duly stuck the ball home to give us a victory....against Notts County I think it was

Those were the days my friend..
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 110
jock dock tower
October 7, 2011, 1:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It's obvious by a lot of the postings on this subject that many of the forum users never saw Bobby Cumming play. He was the hardest footballer I've ever seen, and am ever likely to see. It goes without saying that his legendary status at BP made him the hate figure for all the travelling Yorkie clubs when they came down en masse. Although he was hard as nails, he was skillful too, and equally at home at left back, where he probably invented the overlapping full back role, left of midfield - so often a problematic area, or up front where I think he was top scorer for us one season. There was nothing he couldn't do, and my fondest memory of him was going off injured in a League Cup tie and BP against Huddersfield with a gaping head wound and blood all over the place, then coming back on 5 minutes later only to score the winning goal with a diving header. Pure majesty.......
A measure of the man as well was that you never, ever, heard any Town fan have a bad word to say about him. Off the pitch he was as quiet and unassuming guy as you could ever hope to meet. Thanks for the memories Bobby. Pity the Clarke and Hunter incidents aren't on video for posterity's sake.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 110
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Town player you loved the most

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.