Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be Careful What You Wish For!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 91 Guests

Be Careful What You Wish For!

This thread currently has 2,961 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
billo
September 20, 2011, 12:19am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +24
Over the years, I have consistently supported Fenty as, despite not being perfect like all human beings, he has beeen an avid supporter of Town and more importantly, kept putting his own money into the club.

No other chairman has done that to the same degree that Fenty has.

Parker is an unknown entity and has previously intimated the money he will put into the club will be via share purchases. So be it.

The Fenty bashers have now got what they wanted. They have also got what they didn't want. A sudden stop to Fenty's cash inflow.

We may now see the demise of GTFC in theirs and my lifetime.

Even now, some on here are celebrating which indicates they have never understood the precarious position the club has been in or why Fenty had to remain. These people will be the ones who make the loudest noise when the club go down.

God help us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
FishOutOfWater
September 20, 2011, 12:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from billo
Over the years, I have consistently supported Fenty as, despite not being perfect like all human beings, he has beeen an avid supporter of Town and more importantly, kept putting his own money into the club.

No other chairman has done that to the same degree that Fenty has.

Parker is an unknown entity and has previously intimated the money he will put into the club will be via share purchases. So be it.

The Fenty bashers have now got what they wanted. They have also got what they didn't want. A sudden stop to Fenty's cash inflow.

We may now see the demise of GTFC in theirs and my lifetime.

Even now, some on here are celebrating which indicates they have never understood the precarious position the club has been in or why Fenty had to remain. These people will be the ones who make the loudest noise when the club go down.

God help us!

Oh no....not another relegation
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 12:31am
Guest User
Quoted from billo
They have also got what they didn't want. A sudden stop to Fenty's cash inflow.

Oh for god sake !
Stop over-reacting you drama queen.

More likely, Fenty wants Parker(as majority shareholder) to put up his share of MONEY to keep the club afloat and is acting in the long-term interests of GTFC.

I suspect this whole argument that fans have "forced Fenty out" because he can't handle a few rude words is complete b0llocks !  
Reply: 2 - 31
tarka
September 20, 2011, 12:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from 1600

Oh for god sake !
Stop over-reacting you drama queen.

More likely, Fenty wants Parker(as majority shareholder) to put up his share of MONEY to keep the club afloat and is acting in the long-term interests of GTFC.

I suspect this whole argument that fans have "forced Fenty out" because he can't handle a few rude words is complete b0llocks !  

And you say he's over-reacting?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 12:39am
Guest User
Well he's saying he's pulling his money out - what evidence is there ?
Reply: 4 - 31
tarka
September 20, 2011, 12:42am
Table Wine Drinker
No he isn't! What he is saying is that he isn't going to carry on bankrolling the club....or as things stand at the moment he is hardly going to.  As I understand it we are financially safe until Dec/Jan and then there will need to be another injection of cash.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 12:46am
Guest User
I'm talking about billo, not Fenty !  

Thanks for making my point !  
Reply: 6 - 31
tarka
September 20, 2011, 12:49am
Table Wine Drinker
I didn't make your point at all!!  Billo said that in all likelihood John Fenty will not continue to bankroll the club!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 12:52am
Guest User
No he didn't !

He said "A SUDDEN stop to Fenty's cashflow."

Doesn't that imply it's kind of nowish ?

Anyway I agree with you but to over-react and imply it's the end of the club seems a little premature ?
Reply: 8 - 31
tarka
September 20, 2011, 12:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600
No he didn't !

He said "A SUDDEN stop to Fenty's cashflow."

Doesn't that imply it's kind of nowish ?

Anyway I agree with you but to over-react and imply it's the end of the club seems a little premature ?

Don't you understand? The end of the cashflow could quite likely be now! And if nobody takes up that particular baton it could signal the end!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 1:14am
Guest User
Quoted from tarka
The end of the cashflow could quite likely be now!

How so if we're financially safe until Dec/Jan ?
Reply: 10 - 31
tarka
September 20, 2011, 1:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1600

How so if we're financially safe until Dec/Jan ?

What I mean is no more Fenty cash!  We are ok until Dec/Jan apparently, then there will need to be more cash input.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 1:27am
Guest User
So you're saying Fenty's not putting another penny in  ?
If so, what makes you so sure ?

Reply: 12 - 31
tarka
September 20, 2011, 1:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Why would he continue if he is no longer Chairman and doesn't have the controlling interest? He alludes to that in his statement on the OS.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
80sglory
September 20, 2011, 1:54am
Guest User
Because he doesn't want the club to die ?

It says:
"Given Mr Parkers stake in the Club it is only right that he is a party to them."

Absolutely I agree, get him involved !

"Mr Fenty is most concerned that the company must be able to meet the test of remaining a going concern."

So not sure which bit of the statement you assume means he won't continue to support the club ?
Seems all you're saying is, "why shouldn't he just let the club die if he's not in total control" ?

Well if you're using that logic then why should other fans e.g. buy shares then ?
Not as if they're ever gonna have total control is it ?

Of course, I'm NOT saying fans shouldn't do that !
We should ALL support the club best we can.
My advice is get supporting, get spending and get saving !
Forget blame, it's YOUR club.
Reply: 14 - 31
Marinerz93
September 20, 2011, 6:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
It's a bit like running a classic car you've just bought at half price and needs a bit of TLC, you got the cash to fit the best bits but instead fit crap.  The car performs poorly so you fit the odd expensive part to try and put right your mistake of being cheap.  The expensive part on it's own will not stop the car from performing badly and it ends up costing you more and more.  Then, someone comes along and wants to help you with your car, they give you nigh on 45+% to put things right but you've got form for meandering around and nothing improves.  The other person then up's his percentage to 54% hoping you'll match it but you think intercourse it, let them sort the car out it's now a rusty bag of excrement.

A lot of people think JF saved the club and without him we wouldn't have a club.  So how come so many clubs go into admin and have come through it.  The problem with GTFC is since the Huxford take over we have been saddled directors who are self centered.  I hope the new fella who ever he may be will want to get Town back into the league and moving forwards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
aldi_01
September 20, 2011, 7:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
At the end of the day, thank you Mr Fenty for your money and basically pissing it up the wall by pouring it into the most pointless business ever, a football club (doesn't matter who, never a great business move).

It is however, time to move on, in all honesty even the most passionate Fenty supporter would struggle to say he has done a good job, people have declared an interest in helping etc in the past and he declined whilst he continued to pick awful managers and sanction the signing of useless players...he did invest his money but what did we gain other than a football club which appears to have the footballing equivalent of a terminal illness? Many a club was in the same situation as us when Fenty took over and yet they succeeded, even with cost cutting etc and remain in the football league, some even made it into the Championship...

I don't know what will happen to the club and in my opinion MP has to respond quickly, time will tell i suppose...on wards and up wards on the pitch, 4-0 town tonight...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
GrimRob
September 20, 2011, 7:34am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,450
Gold Stars: 115
Fenty has not been the most successful of chairmen but he has been dealt a difficult set of hands (a bit like Barrack Obama and David Cameron at the moment). Whoever was in charge during the last decade would have struggled. Hux's decision to sack Buckley (after a draw at home to Preston, how terrible) to me was always the beginning of the end. You can't fault him for effort - he's always been there for us.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 31
ROKERITE
September 20, 2011, 8:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
The timing is terrible, just when the future is looking bright after so many miserable seasons. With John Fenty running the club and H&S running the team I foresaw an exciting and successful next few years for Grimsby Town. Now there is the danger of snatching further failure from the jaws of triumph. With a stable club and H&S I'm confident League football will be back at Blundell Park by August, 2013. Let's hope for a stable club and H&S being the situation at Grimsby a year from now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
STB
September 20, 2011, 8:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from ROKERITE
The timing is terrible, just when the future is looking bright after so many miserable seasons. With John Fenty running the club and H&S running the team I foresaw an exciting and successful next few years for Grimsby Town. Now there is the danger of snatching further failure from the jaws of triumph. With a stable club and H&S I'm confident League football will be back at Blundell Park by August, 2013. Let's hope for a stable club and H&S being the situation at Grimsby a year from now.

How was the future looking bright?
Mid table at best, fans deserting the club and no real goalscorer.
We are at our lowest ebb and TBH, I doubt if we'd have been a league club in the next 10 years with JF at the helm.
Fenty has done the right thing.
Hopefully, whoever becomes chairman can run GTFC like a non-league club and cut the budget right down so we have a viable business model for long term survival.
From stability comes success.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
Denby
September 20, 2011, 8:18am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Quoted from aldi_01
At the end of the day, thank you Mr Fenty for your money and basically pissing it up the wall by pouring it into the most pointless business ever, a football club (doesn't matter who, never a great business move).

fenty hasn't written any of his cash off yet, he's got shares and he's got loans (secured on the ground), he could get all his (interest-free) money back yet
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
woodi147
September 20, 2011, 8:39am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1
I heard fenty was putting at least 17 grand a week to keep the club running
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
marinerjase
September 20, 2011, 8:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,679
Gold Stars: 147
I heard he brushes his teeth with Colgate

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Keelbysaint
September 20, 2011, 9:14am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
it cant be denied that his money has kept us going. So this is an interesting time for the club, as who is going to put this in now?

Without it, it wont be long before we are in trouble. Now this doesnt mean that we should simply go on as we are forever, but it does mean were in for an unpredictable time.

Parker may put the money in, or not. But if he does, what terms are going to be attached to it, and what will be the long term impact of this. We're not talking small amounts really
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
MeanwoodMariner
September 20, 2011, 9:17am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Well well well

The Fishy and Cod Almighty moaners have got their way. Quite why some people thinks this is a good thing is beyond me. Fine, the appointments of Rodger and Woods weren't great (Newell's was a disaster with hindsight but there weren't too many complaints at the time) but JF was just one of the people who made those appointments.

I'm sick of hearing how Fenty is "a business man not a football man" and how his "decisions" have put us where we are. Who the fck is qualified on this forum to back these claims? Given the fact that the chairman is not involved in the coaching/playing side of things I'm not sure it's relevant anyway.

There are many reasons why we are in the bottom half of the conference but the idea that it's purely down to one man is just overly simplistic, childish and pig ignorant. Even if it were true I'm don't see what decisions will or won't be made all of a sudden that will cause us to win more games now.

Another tired old moan from some fans about his "poor PR" really p1ssed me off as well. Fans go to watch a football match ffs, who on earth is thinking "I would go to the game but I don't like the club's PR"? If he stayed silent then people moaned for not communicating. If he backed the team and encouraged fans to support the team then people moaned about his "spin", if he criticised the players then people moaned he was not backing the players.

The fact is the team has been doing poorly on the pitch for a long time (well before JF took over as chairman) and none of us are happy about it. It's tempting to just focus all the blame on one person - it's easier than seeing the bigger picture - but what happens when nothing improves on the pitch immediately? Who do we want out then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
dapperz fun pub
September 20, 2011, 9:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Denby

fenty hasn't written any of his cash off yet, he's got shares and he's got loans (secured on the ground), he could get all his (interest-free) money back yet

this is the worrying part
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
Super Clive
September 20, 2011, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Well well well

The Fishy and Cod Almighty moaners have got their way. Quite why some people thinks this is a good thing is beyond me. Fine, the appointments of Rodger and Woods weren't great (Newell's was a disaster with hindsight but there weren't too many complaints at the time) but JF was just one of the people who made those appointments.

I'm sick of hearing how Fenty is "a business man not a football man" and how his "decisions" have put us where we are. Who the fck is qualified on this forum to back these claims? Given the fact that the chairman is not involved in the coaching/playing side of things I'm not sure it's relevant anyway.

?

Oh i think the was complaints at the time when these appointments was made Woods and Rodger defiantly was anyway who appoints a manager who hasn't won in 20 odd games or whatever it was is a moron.

But let me guess again its the fans fault yes? total balderdash

Quoted Text
'm sick of hearing how Fenty is "a business man not a football man" and how his "decisions" have put us where we are. Who the fck is qualified on this forum to back these claims?

No I'm not qualified to make these claims but anyone with half a braincell could see where we was when Fenty took over and where we are when he went yesterday, that man is to blame 100% you can say what you like but its there for all to see.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
ROKERITE
September 20, 2011, 9:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from STB

How was the future looking bright?
Mid table at best, fans deserting the club and no real goalscorer.
We are at our lowest ebb and TBH, I doubt if we'd have been a league club in the next 10 years with JF at the helm.
Fenty has done the right thing.
Hopefully, whoever becomes chairman can run GTFC like a non-league club and cut the budget right down so we have a viable business model for long term survival.
From stability comes success.

I believe the future was bright because Mr Fenty had finally got it right regarding the managerial post(s). Hurst & Scott have succeeded at both their previous clubs and I'm sure they would succeed at Grimsby. The worry is that if the man who appointed them goes, will his successor be fully behind H&S or will he have his own man in mind for the manager's chair?
I think promotion is unlikely this season. Luton and Mansfield will almost certainly be the top two, with Fleetwood coming close. The play-offs are still a realistic possibility for Grimsby but I think it is far more probable that promotion will be achieved in 2012-13. In my opinion H&S will oversee not only a return to League football, but will have Grimsby back in League One within four years. It will be most unfortunate if Mr Fenty's departure leads to that of H&S too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Perkins
September 20, 2011, 10:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Well well well

There are many reasons why we are in the bottom half of the conference but the idea that it's purely down to one man is just overly simplistic, childish and pig ignorant. Even if it were true I'm don't see what decisions will or won't be made all of a sudden that will cause us to win more games now.

Another tired old moan from some fans about his "poor PR" really p1ssed me off as well. Fans go to watch a football match ffs, who on earth is thinking "I would go to the game but I don't like the club's PR"? If he stayed silent then people moaned for not communicating. If he backed the team and encouraged fans to support the team then people moaned about his "spin", if he criticised the players then people moaned he was not backing the players.

The fact is the team has been doing poorly on the pitch for a long time (well before JF took over as chairman) and none of us are happy about it. It's tempting to just focus all the blame on one person - it's easier than seeing the bigger picture - but what happens when nothing improves on the pitch immediately? Who do we want out then?

Good Post, One of the more sensible posts on the subject.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Garth
September 20, 2011, 10:22am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Well well well

Sums it all up for me, best post on the subject yet and according to the anti Fentys from now on its all going to be utopia
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
Denby
September 20, 2011, 10:33am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Quoted from Garth

Sums it all up for me, best post on the subject yet and according to the anti Fentys from now on its all going to be utopia

unfortunately we aren't heading for utopia, because of what fenty has done (destroy the club's finances).  check the accounts, they don't lie.  he's overspent, and plugged the gap with loans.  i feel sympathy with whoever the new chairman might be, he's inheriting a right mess
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
thebigeasy
September 20, 2011, 2:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text
unfortunately we aren't heading for utopia, because of what fenty has done (destroy the club's finances).  check the accounts, they don't lie.  he's overspent, and plugged the gap with loans.  i feel sympathy with whoever the new chairman might be, he's inheriting a right mess

Not often I agree with you Denby - but you've hit the nail on the head.

Also - interesting how billo appears again as soon as there are board room rumblings. Just a quick reminder to everyone that billo is the guy that "sponsored" the remove Bill Carr campaign on the message baords of that time, and did a lot to turn ordibary fans against the Carr regime. And look what happened.

Beware!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Be Careful What You Wish For!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.