Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What's going on with the youngsters?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 139 Guests

What's going on with the youngsters?

This thread currently has 3,739 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Ulrika
September 16, 2011, 9:47am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rumours abound re an exodus of youngsters from the younger SofE teams, whats going on? These players are an important part of the future of the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
moosey_club
September 16, 2011, 10:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
As it is you that has heard the rumours why not tell us?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
BIGChris
September 16, 2011, 10:20am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from moosey_club
As it is you that has heard the rumours why not tell us?

WHS
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
we will return
September 16, 2011, 11:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +19 / -1
Approval: +35
Players are always leaving the teams all the time. In all age groups there are only be a few players that the coaches are really watching, the others are good players but maybe there to make up the numbers and therefore don't get played every week so then they leave the club and join a team in the local league. Players also leave to play with their friends in other teams and to be fair at their age they just want to be playing football with their mates without really thinking about the future. However some of the players that leave may not have looked good when they were with the team but then later developed into a very good player, meaning the club misses out on a real gem. I just don't think the young teams are as appealing to some of the players as it could be and they prefer to play for different local league teams, however I think it's more down to the mindset of the players.

UTM!
The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2013!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
Billybigbollox
September 16, 2011, 2:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +2
I know town have lost alot of young lads to the scunts as they have a lot better facilities ........I was speaking to a scout last week and he said scunthorpe are on about setting up an academy in grimsby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
BIGChris
September 16, 2011, 3:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
The facilities used by Town's SOE are very good when set against most lower FL clubs. Scunny have the indoor 'shed' which is very useful.

The problem Town have is a lack of money, which in turn has led to coaching numbers being cut. I also know Scunny have approached a few ex Town SOE coaches to work for them.

Town need to get back to the FL asap which would prevent Scunny opening a satellite SOE in the area
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
GtfcGarner
September 16, 2011, 4:02pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Played in the u16 SoE last year, and tbf there was 5-6 of us who would work our nads off every session but how we got treated was like an animal, after being at the club for more than 5 years i decided to call it a day because it was effecting me out of football aswell. The coaches didn't push hard enough or give you specific training.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
BIGChris
September 16, 2011, 4:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Played in the u16 SoE last year, and tbf there was 5-6 of us who would work our nads off every session but how we got treated was like an animal, after being at the club for more than 5 years i decided to call it a day because it was effecting me out of football aswell. The coaches didn't push hard enough or give you specific training.

I'd love to know how they 'treated you like an animal'.

Given biscuits and put on a lead?

You decided to call it at day at Under 16 level. Was that because you wernt being offered a YT and therefore going to be released?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
mariner91
September 16, 2011, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,731
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Like an animal? Melodramatic much?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
GtfcGarner
September 16, 2011, 4:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Not at all, just i believe i was good enough for the cut, id never give up on something i believed in, and you wouldn't understand if we asked for the littlest of things it wouldn't happen. Spoke to alot of people and at the end of the day if your not enjoying your football then something isn't right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
StiggsGTFC
September 16, 2011, 4:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +41
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Not at all, just i believe i was good enough for the cut, id never give up on something i believed in, and you wouldn't understand if we asked for the littlest of things it wouldn't happen. Spoke to alot of people and at the end of the day if your not enjoying your football then something isn't right.

Got to agree with you.

And a good reply to someone questioning your motives.

Good luck in whatever path you take.....and go and enjoy your football.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
September 16, 2011, 5:28pm
Guest User
Ive just been on a school trip with someone who plays for the under 16's and he has been told that he has to report to cheapside in the morning ...
Reply: 11 - 35
Grim up north
September 16, 2011, 5:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
The Town under 10's beat Lincoln 10-2 last week , they are in a far worse state due to parents having to fork out £400 on kit so therefore Town faced not the  best Lincoln team - just the kids whose parents could afford it.I hope it doesnt get to this for Town but money is very tight now we no longer get full league funding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
dapperz fun pub
September 16, 2011, 6:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,047
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from GtfcGarner

a few lads i know tell the same tale especially the not enjoying it bit, they cant all be wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
STB
September 16, 2011, 6:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Why on earth would a youngster who is a decent player want to be a YT at a non-league club?

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
dapperz fun pub
September 16, 2011, 6:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from STB
Why on earth would a youngster who is a decent player want to be a YT at a non-league club?

because no other club as offered anything maybe
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
GtfcGarner
September 16, 2011, 6:45pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

because no other club as offered anything maybe

Not that dapperz, i love the club with all my heart unlike most lads in the modern age supporting United, Chelsea whoever it is i had my heart set on playing for the club as i've followed the team since my grandad took me from the age of 6. But like i said i got treated like dirt and didn't enjoy it. Still follow the town though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
dapperz fun pub
September 16, 2011, 6:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Not that dapperz, i love the club with all my heart unlike most lads in the modern age supporting United, Chelsea whoever it is i had my heart set on playing for the club as i've followed the team since my grandad took me from the age of 6. But like i said i got treated like dirt and didn't enjoy it. Still follow the town though

didnt particulary mean you,i know some of the S o E coaches and have seen all of them at work one scotish guy struck me as especially clueless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 16, 2011, 7:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Losing youngsters to league club SoEs is the price you pay for letting the club fester and drop out of the league. There's no answer to it except to get back up there.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
mr viv
September 16, 2011, 7:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
I run a kids team and have had the same lads since thet were 5yrs old. They are now u14 we are a very good side and have shared the league and cup with another side yr after yr. Not once has a scout been down to watch us not once!! I know for a fact i have better players than play with the u14 gtfc side and indeed saw 1st hand their 1st game of the season v lincoln when we had 10 and lincoln bare 11!!! What a mess for that to happen it simply shouldnt,i cannot work out for the world of me why they havent been down to see us surely someone keeps a eye on local leagues and when you see a side scoring 150 plus goals every yr and letting in less than 10 you perhaps would think mmmmm reckon they might have some decent lads???? The question is though would any of my boys go there?? maybe but am certainly not 100% sure they would.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
sands
September 16, 2011, 7:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -7
Approval: +0
ive seen ur team vivins and the other decent team in that league with due respect my lads under sevens wud hammer most of the other teams so scoring 100 odd goals count for very little. ur team is very physical weras the other lot play a little bit and i think the lad up front alex is going to town so obviously they do watch. in short none of ur lads look good enough for a academy sorry just my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
STB
September 16, 2011, 10:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
This sands fellow seems a bit of a cünt Chaz.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
sands
September 16, 2011, 11:32pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from STB
This sands fellow seems a bit of a cünt Chaz.

the forums alan carr calls me a girl private for having a opinion im touched, bless
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
STB
September 17, 2011, 8:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from sands

the forums alan carr calls me a girl private for having a opinion im touched, bless

Oooooooooooh, look at the muck in ere !

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
mr viv
September 17, 2011, 8:27am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Question is how many times has he watched us? And yes there are a lot of poor sides in our league that has always been the case in kids footy 2/3 good sides the rest not so,but to come out with a ridiculous comment like my under sevens would hammer them is totally disrespectful and very unrealistic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
aldi_01
September 17, 2011, 8:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Unfortunately, football at this level is a little bit on the 'if your face doesn't fit' side of things. I've seen several players with similar talents to lads who were kept on but because someone didn't like them or their face didn't fit etc they were let go or were made to feel very uncomfortable. It happens at all clubs, Lincoln city are renowned for having a excrement youth set up, and it is veryuch if you can afford it and your parents can take you etc you'll do alright.

Town appears to be going that way but I'm sure it's not just down to the people running it but also the disastrous 10 years the club has had overall.

Not enough money is invested in youth football in this country, even at the top, wenger may claim to produce world class players but in all honesty, they are decent at best and their successes of the last 5-6 years prove that. It just seems to be an issue with youth football in England. A team that scores 100+ goals at u10/11/12 means buggerall to be fair other than the other teams probably aren't that interested in trophies etc but just allowing kids to play football is more important. I personally don't think kids should play competitive football until u13 anyway but if that true many a team and person may cease to exist if this were to happen.

The problem with junior football is and always will be, even at towns level etc is parents! Too many interfering, telling people that their son is the best player or how people should coach a team when in reality they know buggerall and are trying to live out their own failed career and lack of talent through their children.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
sands
September 17, 2011, 10:40am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from mr viv
Question is how many times has he watched us? And yes there are a lot of poor sides in our league that has always been the case in kids footy 2/3 good sides the rest not so,but to come out with a ridiculous comment like my under sevens would hammer them is totally disrespectful and very unrealistic

my nephew plays for healing now but as playd for other teams in ur league so ive seen u and ur team several times.one time when he playd for shall we say a lesser team, i heard ur half time team talk u called the other team crap, i heard it clearly and ur opposing team wer nearer that kid is disrectful calling ur own players rubbish that is unrealistic and disrespectful so dont go there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
STB
September 17, 2011, 10:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mr viv

I think he's just a WUM Chaz.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
Super Clive
September 17, 2011, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Alright girls calm down, remember its only kids footie its the taking part that counts morons.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
bradzmilne
September 17, 2011, 11:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Super Clive
Alright girls calm down, remember its only kids footie its the taking part that counts morons.

WHS.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
mariner91
September 17, 2011, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,731
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from aldi_01
Unfortunately, football at this level is a little bit on the 'if your face doesn't fit' side of things. I've seen several players with similar talents to lads who were kept on but because someone didn't like them or their face didn't fit etc they were let go or were made to feel very uncomfortable. It happens at all clubs, Lincoln city are renowned for having a excrement youth set up, and it is veryuch if you can afford it and your parents can take you etc you'll do alright.

Town appears to be going that way but I'm sure it's not just down to the people running it but also the disastrous 10 years the club has had overall.

Not enough money is invested in youth football in this country, even at the top, wenger may claim to produce world class players but in all honesty, they are decent at best and their successes of the last 5-6 years prove that. It just seems to be an issue with youth football in England. A team that scores 100+ goals at u10/11/12 means buggerall to be fair other than the other teams probably aren't that interested in trophies etc but just allowing kids to play football is more important. I personally don't think kids should play competitive football until u13 anyway but if that true many a team and person may cease to exist if this were to happen.

The problem with junior football is and always will be, even at towns level etc is parents! Too many interfering, telling people that their son is the best player or how people should coach a team when in reality they know buggerall and are trying to live out their own failed career and lack of talent through their children.

Parents bit is spot on. I've been reffing kids football for the past three years and only ever had one kid booked for dissent/arguing/swearing. But with parents I reckon theres nearly one a game who will give you abuse, even if you're only doing an under eleven game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
STB
September 17, 2011, 12:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Parents bit is spot on. I've been reffing kids football for the past three years and only ever had one kid booked for dissent/arguing/swearing. But with parents I reckon theres nearly one a game who will give you abuse, even if you're only doing an under eleven game.

Too right, some parents need to keep away from kids games.
In many cases, parents tell their own kids off for mistakes, when a simple 'unlucky mate' would have been fine.
Both of my lads have been involved in some great games and some terrible games with good and bad decisions made by refs but as long as they enjoy it and shake hands at the end, football has triumphed !!
I don't know if it is a common trend but Discoveries dads with Man U shirts generally seem to be the biggest to55ers.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
upthestripes
September 17, 2011, 12:30pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from STB

I don't know if it is a common trend but Discoveries dads with Man U shirts generally seem to be the biggest to55ers.

Nothing has changed there then in at least 20 odd years. Utter pillocks.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
brad_gtfc
September 17, 2011, 3:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I've played at every junior age and I have to say parents ruin the game for alot of people, take it far too seriously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
Citymariner
September 17, 2011, 3:51pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +18 / -1
Approval: +27
Quoted from mariner91

A few kids I've taught play for Scunny. Talking to their parents it is pretty strict where parents can be and what they can say during matches and training. I good policy I think.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Boom Boom Boom
September 17, 2011, 5:13pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
I think the wintringham project is aimed at tackling a lot of the issues raised here,

I know the article in the telewag said the kids would get more specialist coaching and more contact time,

if you look at the plan the premier league are bringing in i think its the only way a club like

us could keep a yoof system in place  

i know if i was good enough when i was a kid i wouldve killed my hamster to get coached everyday,

but the world was black and white when i was a lad........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What's going on with the youngsters?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.