5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
September 14, 2011, 3:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
On the subjects of trialists and new players, Woking are playing a game against Glenn Hoddle's academy tonight. Hopefully we will have someone their watching Hoddle's lads as we could find ourselves a talented free transfer.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
oldun
September 14, 2011, 4:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A young Hayes and Yeading player, Luke Williams looked have good potential to me. He played number 10 just behind the front 2. Skinny blonde lad. Good skill on the ball when he got it and seemed to have good awareness and made several clever passes. Not a ball winner though. Having said that this is his first season and has only played 6 or 7 games so far. I think there are some useful players in this league and it is interesting to watch the opposition as well as our own team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
upthestripes
September 14, 2011, 4:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from pontoonlew

Green to depart because a player who is coming back from injury got 90 mins in what is really a Reserve game? Dont really see your logic there.

Logic? Was this any kind of argument? I was asking a question as some seem to think he was just a temp replacement for Ridley who seems to be, judging by his getting a full game in, on the way back.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
acko338
September 14, 2011, 4:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,230
Gold Stars: 33
If nothing else, it has served as a 90 minute run out for the fringe players and those coming back from injury - in hindsight, probably not a judgement game for any trialists at all !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
80sglory
September 14, 2011, 7:47pm
Guest User
Oh for goodness sake I've already given you the answer of who played and why ?

Take out the 1st team starters from Saturday and look at who's left - missing a centre back, midfielder(a right one I'd guess), striker(Mulready is out on loan !) - fit's a treat !

We might get Green we might not, but if you think there might be money for centre backs or Glenn Hoddle academy players I'd think again.

If we sign anyone other then Green until he goes back I'll be amazed - it's credit to Marhsall that he's here when we're not even paying him a wage !

Makes you worry if the clubs have got "cashflow" problems or if this courtcase is knackering up our chances of making further signings ?  
Was the club's recent appeal to "use it or lose" a sign of this ?

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk.....35-detail/story.html

"Both this and the tribunals for the two players are clouds hanging over the club.
"These matters are unsettling and get in the way of the job we have to do on the field."
"A lot of people have spent a lot of time sifting through papers and legal advice and all this while we still have a football club to run and all the financial worries that come with that."

If the Boston chairman hasn't got a leg to stand on then I hope we screw him for every penny he's got !  
If he has, I dread to think what might happen.
Reply: 24 - 48
louth_in_the_south
September 14, 2011, 8:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
Based on greens 2 games ,  can anyone whose seen them both say Ridley is better than green ? From what I've read the answer is probably no . Therefore it must be a no brainer that we keep him .
As for signing anyone else I don't no . I'd say the squad is ok at the minute .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
moosey_club
September 14, 2011, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from oldun
I'Anson will be fine if he has to play.

costs us at least a goal every time he plays in my opinion

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
80sglory
September 14, 2011, 10:20pm
Guest User
Any defender will make the odd mistake but think his performance vs Barnsley wasn't actually that bad at all and he's generally looked as solid as a rock in most pre-season games I've seen him play in.
The lad has a very bright future IMO - yes he's still learning but I wouldn't think twice before choosing him in the team.  
And maybe the fact he's young, the mistakes get highlighted a lot more but every defender makes occasional errors.
Reply: 27 - 48
pontoonlew
September 14, 2011, 10:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from 1600
Any defender will make the odd mistake but think his performance vs Barnsley wasn't actually that bad at all and he's generally looked as solid as a rock in most pre-season games I've seen him play in.
The lad has a very bright future IMO - yes he's still learning but I wouldn't think twice before choosing him in the team.  
And maybe the fact he's young, the mistakes get highlighted a lot more but every defender makes occasional errors.

But on the flip side, poor players seem to get a longer stay of execution if they are local.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
Tommy
September 14, 2011, 11:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Did I'Anson get a 6 month deal or 12 months deal?

@ 80's: with regards the Glenn Hoddle academy players. It would do no harm to scout them in a match against a team only one level (I think) below ours. Hoddle was a great player and supposedly a very good coach who likes players to play the right way. It helps to have a good knowledge of what players are out and about in case a sudden need for a player in a certain position arises - such as our left back problem and H&S bringing in a player they were already aware of. It can also help you plan for the future, maybe they would keep an eye on the progress of one or two that catch their eye and bear them in mind when fine-tuning/improving the squad in the summer when there will undoubtedly be a few departures. That was more my trail of thought as opposed to bringing someone in immediately. I know the budget is stretched as it is but would love to see Green stay with us. And after him I don't think we need anything else just yet anyway.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Friendly match v Doncaster

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.